I appreciate...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by GregL, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregL

GregL Member

Good morning (from here), Gents,

I just wanted to post a thought about something that I really appreciate about this forum and its members, and that's the sort of "everyman" spirit that pervades the atmosphere here. I find this particularly evident in the "What are you smoking" thread, as well as elsewhere. I seem to find a preponderance of accessible/common/pedestrian (in the good sense)/everyman (again) tobaccos and pipes. That's not to say, of course, that some of us don't have or smoke expensive/fancy pipes or tobaccos but, rather, that not only is it "ok" to have and enjoy less-flashy briars like Dr. G, Kaywoodie, second brands, etc, as well as OTC tobaccos, or commonly available ones like MacB, etc, etc, but it is encouraged and even, in some cases, envied. How I loved to read members saying things like, "I really wish I could get/I really wish I could like SWRA/Condor/Walnut/etc".

As a graduate student and of limited means I find it disheartening to read on other fora the _____ contests wherein members are continually trying to one-up everyone else with more and more expensive/rare briars, less and less available tobaccos, etc.

Here on PSF I really get a sense of a bunch of guys, from laborers to students to managers to professionals to retirees, sitting around admiring each other's pipes, freely giving compliments to each other's choices, openly sharing a bowl full, and on and on. I am just old enough to have grown up with a real sense of community and in a time and place where everyone, regardless of station or circumstance, felt free and un-self-conscious to interact with one another on a genuine, human level. And that's what I enjoy about being here as I'm able.

Cheers!
    -Greg

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Well , from an everyman kind of guy ... I 2nd everything you say :) Sometimes , somebody gets alittle snobish [ they know who they are ] ... but they do it with a light heart and humor , mostly . I , on the other hand .. never go " there " and only ask that you not include Kaywoodie pipes in the same sentence with that other brand .... harumph :fpalm:

3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I agree. Before coming to this forum, I had the impression that cobs were learners' pipes (for slow learners, at that). Here they are considered legitimate by everyone, even the guys who prefer briars and meers. My kind of crowd.

4. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Nice sentiments which I fully endorse. As far as the one up manship goes, I can't take part in such pastimes for two simple reasons, a) I'd fail miserably as like many, I just dont have either the resources or inclination to chase after the unobtainable, dealing with my as yet managable levels of P.A.D. and T.A.D. are activity enough for me to be getting on with. and b) I'm really quite happy with my modest collection of rescued / restored Estate pipes which include one or two nice handmades. Like everything we all find our place where we feel comfortable, I'm just dicovering the weird and wonderful world of cob smoking and I must say I'm mightily impressed with the quality and price, my kind of pipes I think. The pipe community here at PSF is as I've said before made up of people of all backgrounds who simply wish to share their hobby without prejudice and are more than willing to help anyone out where they can without any ego boosting. Some terrific people from the seasoned smoker and master pipe makers to the absolute beginner who all enjoy that one great hobby, pipe smoking and tobacco, nothing more and nothing less, Purrfect. :bing:

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Great post Greg, I share many of your sentiments concerning PSF, great people, great forum! :)

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I enjoyed your post. The mods here do a great job at helping to keep this forum civil, and I think we owe them a lot because if they didn't then this forum probably would not be as enjoyable or as welcoming as it is. Then you have the members, who are all a bunch of great folks. The bottom line here is pipe smoking as an enjoyable pastime, and maybe even as a door to a finer world where respect, civility, good taste, friendly and informed conversation, good humor, and refined thought process are still admirable traits. If nothing else, it is that fabled pipe shop on the hill - only in virtual form. It's all cool here at PSF because it's all good.

PSF has really helped me grow as a pipe smoker, and I've come to appreciate a huge range of tobaccos. I'll even have my first custom handmade pipe by my birthday. But at the end of the day, for the most part, I'll be sitting in my smoking chair with a cob or a Pete full of SWR or one MacB blend or another... and here at PSF, that is cool. (Then again, even if it wasn't I'd still be smoking one of these combos anyway).

7. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Very well said Greg, and I couldn't agree more. There is a very friendly atmosphere here and all the members are willing to help out anyone when they have questions.

8. notsavd

notsavd Member

Here here...cheers

9. furious

furious Junque collector

Great post, Greg, and I couldn't agree with you more. This forum is the new corner-store B&M for us guys.

10. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Very well said, and I heartily agree that the fellowship exhibited on this forum is second to none. Kudos to Woody and the mods for making this THE place for pipe smokers.

Basil Meadows, RTOdhner and dwaugh like this.
  11. bigbird48

bigbird48 Member

here, here:appl:

Basil Meadows and RTOdhner like this.
  12. Capt

Capt Active Member

Dang, so I guess I need to stop "one-upping" people....lol

Seriously though, I agree with the OP. When I first came here and saw quite a few people pushing cobs, I knew this was a laid back place.

*Disclaimer* I do not smoke cobs. Just sayin' HAHA!!!!

13. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Man I'm just hitting "like" all the way down this page, well said everyone! btw do people really smoke those Dr G's?...KIDDING:D

MakDragon, Basil Meadows and RTOdhner like this.
  14. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Me? I'm very well off and my office smells of rich mahogany :haha:

Now back to smoking On the Town in my Basket Pipe while I study for another inevitable mind rape

MakDragon and RTOdhner like this.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke; regardless! Cheers!!:toast:

MakDragon and Basil Meadows like this.
  16. RTOdhner

Lucky SOB... my office usually winds up smelling like butt and feet come noon. (About half of my clients are, well, "hygenically challenged").

WrightwoodJohn and MakDragon like this.
  17. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I teach 7th graders.....my room smells..... well I dont know what it smells like... but its getting warm and we have no airconditioning int he building......... There are an entirely new plethora of aromas that eminate from 13 year olds in the heat.
    I probably could smoke a bowl of Borkum Riff in a moldy cob that was aging in fish oil for a year and it would smell like perfume.

WrightwoodJohn, dwaugh and RTOdhner like this.
  18. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Seriously, well said Greg! All are correct here. It is a welcoming place to come and share our love of the leaf without the baggage of all the distractions of arrogance, pomposity, etc.
    The administrators do a great job of keeping this place as it is enjoyed. Our members also show the class of the pipe smoker!
    I joined another forum (cigars) to find out some information, and as I perused the forum topics I was greatly disappointed in the demeanor and atmosphere of many of the replies and topics.
    So I will just stay here, feed my PAD and TAD and enjoy or common love of the leaf!

19. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Haha!

Seriously though, well said everyone. Pipe snobbery is silly. I like a good expensive blend but by the same token my favorites are all about 5 - 8 bucks for 100grams. And as far as pipes go I own one "expensive" pipe and it wasn't expensive when I got it off of ebay. Everyone here is a good person and very helpful to any newcomers. Plus I laugh out loud (for real not just "lol") a few times every time I read this forum. Thank you everyone for all the great conversations. Now I will go back to smoking my Prince Albert in my 30 dollar no name stubby pot and know I enjoy it more than the guys at those other forums because I know I don't have to worry about any kind of stigma attached to such activities.

p.s. RTOhdner, some of my clients are hygenically challenged as well but since I have to be in actual physical contact with them I tell them to go home and rectify the situation or they can take their business elsewhere.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  20. RTOdhner

I used to try that, but they still came back reeking to high heaven. I can't actually refuse to do an office contact because a person smells like phys-ed or had recently chowed-down a shat sammich, so all it did was jam me up later in the month w/a bunch of reschedules who still smelled bad. Lysol is my friend...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.