I broke my first and favorite pipe. I need help!

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Raggedearth, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raggedearth

Raggedearth Member

I did something really stupid...I tried to clean my pipe without the correct pipe cleaning equipment. The stem had accumulated a lot of oxidation, and so i looked up how to clean in. I left it in a Clorox solution over night and when i took it out to do the rest of the cleaning i realized that i did not have any pipe cleaners. So like a dumb@$$ i tried to pull a piece of cotton through it with a smaller string, and guess what... it got stuck. So i made another stupid decision and stuck a piece of metal down the stem to try to push it out, after 2 hours of doing this, with no success, the mouth piece shattered. and the cotton is still lodged with no hope of coming out. is it possible to replace a stem for a bowl? I feel naked knowing i cant have my pipe. this is my pipe, it is a mini churchwarden, please say the stem can be replaced.[​IMG]

2. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

Sure it can - stems are relatively easy. There are several fine gentlemen here who can make a new stem for you, at quite reasonable prices. I can't personally recommend any of them, as so far I haven't needed their services.

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Yes Sir, you can get a new stem made for it.

IrishRover likes this.
  4. Raggedearth

Raggedearth Member

Does anyone know where I can get a stem made?

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I have had stems replaced by Floyd Norwood and Walker Briar Works in addition to having other work done by them. I can highly recommend both of them. You can contact them via their names on a search engine.

6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I've heard nothing but good things about Walker Briar Works, though I have not needed their services myself. Good luck.

Mington likes this.
  7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Sorry to hear about your mishap!
    The same happened to me a few years ago when a pipecleaner got stuck in one of my Dunhills which I just bought off the bay!
    It's annoying of course but most of these little accidents can be repaired..... Good luck!:bing:

Raggedearth likes this.
  8. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Would you ever have gotten the taste of Clorox off or out... maybe this is a good thing.

Smoking Gun likes this.
  9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Send it to Dave or Floyd. You will hardly recognize it when you get it back. It will look better than it did when it was brand new. They turned a couple of my cheap pipes into a pair that now look like $100+ pipes.

Raggedearth likes this.
  10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I just sent 3 pipes to Dave (Walker BW) the other day. 1 for a new stem and 2 for repairs. :th1:

Raggedearth likes this.
  11. Raggedearth

Raggedearth Member

This is awesome, I really thought all hope was lost when I saw my stem brake. Thanks guys!

12. Raggedearth

Raggedearth Member

I'm sending my pipe to Floyd Norwood in the morning, I'm really excited.

The Big Fil likes this.
  13. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Good choice. Not only does he do great work but he will have it fixed and back into the mail to you within a couple of days of receiving it. His fees are really reasonable too.

Raggedearth likes this.
  14. Elwin

Elwin Member

I have no idea of the make or sentimental value of your pipe, but if look at the following, the mini 'style B' is a pretty close match to yours.
    Just in case.

http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_cw_mini.php

Raggedearth likes this.
  15. len smetona

len smetona Member

Sounds like you need the pipe hospital. hehe, plenty of folks could make a new stem, you might check locally first but if your local shop is going to send it out, heck you could do that yourself.

16. Raggedearth

Raggedearth Member

wow your right, that looks exactly like mine, i will keep that in my back pocket just in case, thanks Elwin.

Elwin likes this.
  17. Elwin

Elwin Member

You're welcome!
    That's part of the fun of being part of this forum - helping out when you can.
    :)

18. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've used the clorox trick and after that I use alcohol. I haven't tasted the clorox yet, but, maybe I was a little buzzed from the alcohol ;)

Jeebs likes this.
  19. jhe888

jhe888 Member

You already chose, but Floyd Norwood made a new stem for one of mine recently. It took about one week, including mailing and cost about $20. Can't beat that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.