1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I dig smokingpipes.com ... even if theyre on Acid :)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ruffinogold, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm glad to see Smokingpipes.com is carrying SWR . They describe SWR thus ...

An aromatic Burley blend with hints of cocoa and oriental spice, the Sir Walter Raleigh mixture has been a popular favorite of countless smokers for generations

I underlined the words that , I think , were drug induced .

Aromatic .... barely

Cocoa ... maybe a touch .. maybe

Oriental Spice .... pure LSD here folks :hip1:

I'm not razzing them because I think theyre wrong so much as of all the things that could have been written . If I never had SWR before and read their " spin " on it ... when I lit it up I'd be dissappointed . I mean , it's burley w/ a touch of a saccharin type sweet topnote . It has the " nutty " burley characteristic to a point . But Oriental Spice ... OMG , lol . Boy , some people are gonna be bummed when they get a pouch and are thinking aromatic coccoa spice ... and they get .. Burley [ Gods gift to man , btw ]

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/SirWalterRaleigh/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=105178

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I am left craving chocolate and a Grateful Dead show in Asia. I don't want to smoke any SWR though.

Good post Ruff. ;-)

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Would Dylan at Budokan take care of it for you?

4. ruffinogold

Yes

Old Codger, Spillproof and jpberg like this.
  5. zwolanek

zwolanek Member

+1 ruffinogold

Describing flavors is difficult, to say the least, but this is way, way off.

I tend to use "high" and "low" and "bright" and "dark" like a symphony orchestra because that's what I know, but I'm sure that leaves folks scratching their heads.

Which reminds me of the best quote on writing I've ever seen, from Steve Martin,
    "Some people have a way with words, while others . . . . not have way.”

6. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

Yes, indeed the description seems a little stretched. However, in this instance, as is ordinarily the case with our tobacco products, the description on our site was provided by the manufacturer.

dwaugh, Skrymr and Old Codger like this.
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Clearly the describer has never smoked it, which is not surprising to me. I never thought I'd like it but it is arguably one of the best made OTC's. Unabashedly burley - no air of self importance in this one.

whitebriar and Kiowapipe like this.
  8. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

I would actually agree with a component of its character described as aromatic. Relative to Prince Albert, Half & Half, and Carter Hall, it's very much true.

9. ruffinogold

Really !? I'm suprised they came up with that . I'd be more suprised if your site came up w/ that being it's so far off ... I guess the SWR people need to run some drug screening of their employees . Whomever wrote it probably works in the office or something and has never smoked it . I've smoked SWR for a good while and had never thought of it in those terms , which is why I cracked up when I read it . The only bummer is , I think , the description will throw people off when they smoke it . You guys have a killer site , though I wish you carried Kaywoodie pipes , and I order from you guys and get top notch service , price and quality . I'm not razzzing your site , btw . I had written a thread about how impressed I am with it . I do disagree that it would be considered an aromatic . Maybe to someone who is way " into " the ins and outs of tobacco . I would think that many people who smoke aromatics wouldnt think it to be so much . Sure it has a very mild topnote , but an aromatic ? Nah

10. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

Thanks for the high compliments!

I certainly wouldn't call this an aromatic tobacco (like Captain Black), but I do detect sweet flavors and aromatic notes, very much unlike the other straight VA/Burley blended OTCs.

11. ruffinogold

I'm w/ ya :th1:... I figured PA is straight but I alway think CH has a little something in it too . Man , I love that stuff !

12. Spillproof

Based on avatars alone, I'm guessing Ruff is more familiar with the works of Albert Hoffman than Ted.

Old Codger and ruffinogold like this.
  13. ruffinogold

:beck: :hp2:

14. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

You might be right.

But you could be very wrong. Once upon a time we were all very young.

15. Spillproof

Perhaps. I can neither confirm nor deny this.

dwaugh, Stonewall and ruffinogold like this.
  16. user2725

user2725 Active Member

A little known fact is SWR was Timothy Leary's favorite smoke (well 2nd favorite) , well maybe not fact ;).

17. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I do get the "aromatic" quality to SWR. There's definitely a top note that comes off as fruity to me. Then again, my go-to OTC is PA, which for me is a nutty almost almond like flavor. I mixed SWR with a number of other things while experimenting a bit, cased it all in rum and honey, steamed and lightly pressed it... and 5 months later I can still taste the SWR essence more than anything else in the jar. I don't mind SWR once in a while, but whatever is put on top of it is a bit cloying (because I see it being used and never had occasion to use it until now :p: ) at times.

18. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

With full intention of derailing this thread, is it possible for SP.com to get some Altadis Edgeworth Match? I mean, really...

19. ruffinogold

Are you sure youre not talking about SWR Aromatic ? I just cant see SWR as fruity , but I'm not you . Dude , you used the word " cloying " :bangin:.... :rolleyes:

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  20. tungbite

tungbite Member

Pipes and Cigars.com has it under their bulk tobaccos (click discontinued blends). 8oz. will run you about $15.00.

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.