I hate glycol

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by esteban, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esteban

esteban Active Member

Why glycol? Been smoking pipe tobacco since 1965. I recently received a nice TAD order & among the baccy was a blend that tasted pretty good, no bite etc... But this blend was ruined with a filmy non tobacco taste which I assign to propylene glycol. I can only assume that current tobaccos are laced with this evil substance for one reason only.. To weigh the tobacco down to deliver a heavier product so a lb. consists of less tobacco. Any thoughts?:dh1:

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I thought it was used as a type of preservative - for the tobacco to last longer on the shelves. However; I am not sure if that's exactly correct?

3. esteban

esteban Active Member

It is a preservative.. In fact it is impossible to dry some glycol ridden tobacco, but at what cost? A slimy filmy taste that collides with true tobacco taste. IMHO.

IrishRover likes this.
  4. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Professor, IrishRover and David Emond like this.
  5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Oh I thought you were asking what it is used for in the beginning of the thread - my bad :shead: . Although, I am glad I was correct in what the glycol is used for.
    I agree with you, I am not a big fan of it. It's tough to get away from - specifically with the OTC blends.

6. RS422

RS422 Member

C and D does not use it on their tobacco.

7. Mr Doody

Mr Doody Member

it would be interesting to have a sticky thread/topic that lists what blenders use (and/or over-use) PG and which do not...

JimInks and Buckshot like this.
  8. esteban

esteban Active Member

Its tough to know when deciding on a new try if it is glycol heavy,,An add just popped up from Chem world.com for ordering prop glycol. I think most tobacco has some, its the overly saturated ones that leave a film on the teeth that trouble me.

9. Phatmandu

Phatmandu Member

I do believe ALL tobaki masters use 'some' PG...may not be much tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.