1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I Have Bought My Last Filtered pipe...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cobbsmoker, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Since I started smoking a pipe back in '99 all I have ever smoked was cobs and Dr. Grabow pipes with the filters, I have tried them without the filters before but just couldn't make it work for me after having learned how to smoke them all those years with the filter, anyway, in the past year or so I have started my journey into Virginia tobaccos and much prefer them in a briar pipe, mine being Dr. Grabows and can only imagine what smoking a fine Virginia will be like in a nice, well made briar pipe, with a comfortable stem bit and without a filter, so I have made the plunge and ordered some English made pipes from Blakemar and Invicta Briars for Christmas and I really look forward to this new experience in pipe smoking. Will there be a big difference in the way these pipes draw without a filter? I know the draw on cobs and Grabow’s were to open for me and I just couldn't smoke them that way and enjoy the smoke. I'm hoping the draw on a non-filtered pipe will feel like the draw I am use too on a filtered pipe if that makes any sense, anyway, any sage advice would be greatly appreciated as I start my transition from filtered pipes to non-filtered pipes and my new love for Virginia tobaccos. Thanks guys.

Kiowapipe and Mister Moo like this.
  2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Dark Side!!:csmile:

Jayson H Bucy likes this.
  3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:haha:

4. user2428

user2428 Active Member

Generally a bent pipe will have the tighter draw...pokers and what not will be straight through...unless it comes from china...

5. DanielO

DanielO Member

I keep a stable of cobs with forever stems for non filtered use and a stable with regular stems for filtered use. They each have their place. I prefer to smoke aros with a filter - it takes the sickly sweetness out of them. Englishes, burleys, and VAs get no filter. Anything with perique can go either way, depending on the amount of perique. The only briars I have that take filters are a few Savs that take the balsa filters. I usually use a filter with those, just because I hate the converter tubes (they gurgle) and the draw is too open without them.

YMMV. The filter debate will go on forever. I believe everything has its place.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I guess we can't call you Slurpy anymore! :xd: Just kidding, of course. We never called you that. At least not to your face! :D

The draw on cobs is amazingly open. Filters tend to close it to a degree. Briars are not quite as open and I think the smoke will be more like what you're used to with a filtered cob. Savinelli makes a lot of pipes that come with balsa wood filters and an "adapter" to narrow the draft opening for those people that don't use the filters. I use neither... but then again I prefer a wide open draw.

I won't get into the debate about filters except to say that I don't use them and don't recommend them under any circumstances. But that's just my opinion and opinions vary. You now find yourself in the position to make the determination for yourself.

Mark w4mms, Jesla and cobbsmoker like this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a big difference in how filtered and unfiltered pipes draw. However, I think an unfiltered briar smokes much better than a filtered one. And a good briar sure smokes a lot better than a Dr. G. I think every pipe serves a purpose, and a Dr. G is a great hacking around the yard or fishing pipe. However, when it comes to enjoying a bowl while reading a good book, the Dr' G's (at least not the ones they make today) just don't pass muster (IMHO). I still prefer my cobs for most of my smoking, since most of the time I'm puffing away on an old school OTC. However, on the weekends I break-out the good stuff and then it's time for the briars.

I think that nothing beats a good briar (either of my rusiticated Petes) for "English" blends like PS English Oriental Supreme or SG Squadron Leader. Likewise, when it comes to VA flake nothing beats my two Pete Rhodesians. Did I mention I like Petes....

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Filter-schmilter. All they do is protect your tongue from red hot embers. Courage, man. Leap of faith.

(Tamp a bit and take it a little slower when you think you're near bedrock.)

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I got nothi'n to add you guys Nailed!!!

:nwor:

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I so look forward to having some nice quality briars, these will be my first! :)

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Just like a cob gets better after being broken in, your briar will too. If you smoke 1/3, 1/2 & then full bowls, the cake in the heel will absorb moisture better and the toasted briar taste will quickly go away.

Mister Moo likes this.
  12. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

youll love your new pipes. ;)

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Congrats on the order!! You'll have some nice Christmas smokes :)

14. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Congrats and hope you enjoy!

15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

16. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I think you'll find the draw on unfiltered pipes at least comparable to filtered pipes, perhaps better. Let us know how the flavor compares when you get them, too. I've always thought that Medico-type filters diminish it significantly, but that's just me. I'll be curious to see your first impressions once you get your new pipes.

17. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Will do sir! I am very curious myself because I have smoked filtered pipes for a lot of years and I am very familiar with them, the way they smoke and the flavor profiles of several tobaccos I have smoked in them for years.

HCraven likes this.
  18. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

The draw on the blakemar will be fairly open. Similar to a grabow with no filter. You'll learn to adjust your draw.

Jesla likes this.
  19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

My Invicta briars arrived today, they are beautiful and my first non-filtered briars too boot! I am so looking forward to breaking these bad boys in, what a great way to start the New Year! :thu2:

voodoo101 likes this.
  20. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Too bad you couldn't have at least given a quality 9mm charcoal filter a try, like a Pete or Stanwell...just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.