1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I just inherited a JT Cooke pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by holymolar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holymolar

holymolar Member

Unbelivable. A friend of mine passed away last year and his wife just gave me his pipes. One is a JT Cooke that I bought for him back in 1999. He hadn't said anything about it for years so I thought he didn't like it and I totally forgot about it. I don't think that he smoked it very much. It was Pipe & Tobacco's 1999 Pipe of the Year. It is stamped 184/250 1999. I'm just beside myself. It must be worth a small fortune.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What am I to do with this work of art? What would you do with it?

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Smoke it in honor of your friend, the value is more than the cash perhaps. depending on your personal situation of course.
    And if you wanted one like it later, could you or would you spend the money to buy one again?
    Very Nice pipe.:)

JimInks, User3940 and esteban like this.
  3. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

What would I do with it? Smoke it, man! That's probably the only time you're ever just going to get a J.T. Cooke pipe out of the blue like that. Then again, I don't know what your collection is like, so maybe you've got a stable full of pipes of that caliber, but I would kill for one of his pipes. And the fact that you bought it for your friend and then inherited it back, man, you were meant to smoke that pipe, plain and simple.

furious, Spillproof, User3940 and 2 others like this.
  4. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I would smoke it with a good glass of scotch sitting on the porch remembering the good times you had with your friend. Isn't that what he would want? You don't have to answer that as you know it is.

What a great full circle event Joyal. You are a lucky man.

And bring it with you when you come up to Oregon to go fishing with me.

esteban and Thuber88 like this.
  5. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

It's a pipe, and meant to be smoked. Having one that brings on the contemplation of good friends, both here and passed away, is a very special pipe regardless of the maker's mark on it.

Thuber88 and User3940 like this.
  6. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Holymolar:
    What you inherited is not just a pipe. Smoke it in memory of your friend---my advice DO NOT get rid of it. Its an honor to your friend. To be honest with you--the pipe is an absolutely beautiful example of a a blast ring grain pipe--it REALLY is a stunning pipe.
    Enjoy it---smoke it in loving memory and in honor of your friend.
    You are now entrusted with a tool of tranquility that once provided enjoyment to your friend---NOW that same enjoyment and memory and honor to your friend is in your hands.---------smoke it--enjoy it--cherish it.:bing:

Thuber88, JimInks and User3940 like this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What would your friend have done with it ..... smoke it

Thuber88 and JimInks like this.
  8. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

You really must smoke it, you know. You will honor your friend every time you do. I've been/am in the exact same situation. My friend Donald is here in spirit every time I smoke one of his pipes.

Thuber88 and furious like this.
  9. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

A blessing indeed. Enjoy it in good health.

Thuber88 likes this.
  10. furious

furious Junque collector

Couldn't agree more that you should smoke it. That is a masterpiece and it would be a real shame if you didn't if for no other reason but to honor your friend.

Thuber88 and JimInks like this.
  11. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

+1 to what everyone said. Smoke it and enjoy the memories. Also, I'm very sorry for your loss. Peace be with you.

Thuber88 likes this.
  12. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

That is a beauty. Love the stem marking! What a blessing!

Thuber88 likes this.
  13. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Sell it to me! Just kidding holymolar. It's a token to keep for all time in remembrance. And I am sure you'll smoke it and remember the good times. Enjoy my friend!

JimInks and Thuber88 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.