1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I Just Want a Bowl of Tobacco

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by RTOdhner, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt dave

capt dave Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Keep in mind... People seem to need drama. I don't know why, maybe it give a needed hormone? So while we sit on our porches and enjoy the peace, and get on PSF to share that tranquility, rest assured someone, somewhere, is scheming to rile us all up...
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Some days I feel just like this. In fact, today I craved a bowl of Solani ABF topped with Carter Hall. It's my favorite combo and I think I could smoke it 4 or 5 days per week. I like a good Virginia or VaPer, but I seem to be gravitating toward Burley for regular smokes.

Terry, someone with your experience may provide some valuable insight or experience with a pipe or tobacco. There is a difference between sharing an opinion verses telling everyone how they should do something. I've learned a lot from experienced members like yourself that have shared their knowledge on both pipes and tobacco for my own improved smoking experience. Plus, if we didn't at least kick these things around a little, what would we talk about? :bing:
    Preacher1611, RTOdhner and Buckshot like this.
  3. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Brad, I have very firm opinions on every subject under the sun. The problem is, when I share them on the 'net, I tend to come across as an arrogant, opinionated ass-wipe. Somehow, my naturally ironic and sarcastic nature just doesn't transfer well to the printed page (screen?). Consequently, I try to keep my opinions to a minimum, just to avoid problems. I'm happy to help anyone in any way I can, but I try to keep things neutral.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    There's something to be said for scooping tobacco from a pouch...:th1:
  5. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Feb 9, 2013
    As a newbie still trying to find my way with my pipes, I have recently found my way to this view of smoking. In the few months that I've been a part of the this group, I've gone from wanting to try to accumulate and try a whole bunch of different tobaccos and pipes so that I'll have variety and depth, to a more recent experiment where I'm only smoking one pipe (a cob) and working my way through what I have, one tobacco at a time (and I started with two OTCs, CH and then PA). What I've learned is exactly what you expressed; at the end of the day I just want a simple, easy, relaxing smoke. No fuss, no wondering if I'm missing the nuances of tobacco A that someone else described, no wondering if I'm "doing it right".

The other side of it has its time and place. And I'm sure if I stick with this long enough I will go through "phases", but what I'm most intrigued about is my grandfather, the one who got me interested in pipes to begin with. He was a simple man who smoked one tobacco in one or two pipes his whole life and he was happy.
  6. Moose

Moose Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Capt. Dave, this is why I like PSF and keep coming back here. Very little drama and a sense of community. Like all communities not everyone will agree on the same answer or opinion. Most people are here to talk with others about the hobby they love and share knowledge when requested. Even the old guy who tells us ' Get off my lawn" loves us, he just won't admit it to us, but we know.....

The OP hit the nail on the head. At the end of the day it is us with our pipe and tobacco of choice, by ourselves or family and friends, enjoying this wonderful hobby.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Yup. It's like that at both of my workplaces. Workplace 'A' (day job) is white collar. Workplace 'B' (night/weekend job) is blue collar. Both places have drama. However, Workplace 'A' is far worse...as the ratio of women (drama factories) is far higher.

I had to call in sick one day from Workplace 'B'. Someone started the rumor (within the department) that I had quit.:rolleyes: It's funny...if someone misses one shift (out of dozens), I assume that they're sick. I'm curious what defective thought process would lead someone to assume that they'd quit.
    capt dave likes this.
  8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Grousemoor is one of a handful of "high end" tobaccos that I really enjoy, and that I can honestly say is worth the extra dime. Maybe I'm just a hopeless prol, but I just don't get many high-end tobaccos. Then, again, maybe I do get them, but I'm just not all that impressed. But in the case of Grousemoor, I've got to give credit where it's due and admit that neither SWR, MacB, or Stokkebye produce a blend that is that good. I don't smoke Grousemoor (or Pease Cumberland, or any of my other favorite high-enders) all that frequently because then they would cease to be special - at least to me, anyway.
    Old Codger and DGErwin11 like this.
  9. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    I love trying different tobaccos but honestky some PA or CB White is all I need when it comes to a good smoke. A pipe and an OTC, what's better?
    cobbsmoker, Robin and RTOdhner like this.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Well in a Country where a pack of cigarettes are now $15, a tub of loose tobacco $107, and a 50 gram pouch of pipe tobacco near $40, it's a little tough for me to see whats premium and what's not. That combined with how busy life is these days, any chance of sitting down and dedicating and hour to bowl of tobacco becomes a luxury. Regardless of what container it came in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.