1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I love to give away cob pipes!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by FiveKai, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FiveKai

FiveKai Member

So I have noticed that most people get into pipes because there father or grandfather introduced them to this relaxing hobby. I think its difficult for a person that does not have a pipe smoker in their family to pick it up. I love cob pipes because they are economical and smoke great. In the past when a buddy of mine saw me light up my briar pipe they would ask questions and i could tell they wanted to give it a try but not enough to go out an buy their own briar. these days i keep a couple of new cobs around the house and when someone asks i pack them a bowl and say here its yours enjoy. 90% ive gifted a pipe to have come back to ask for recommendation on tobacco so i know they are enjoying the pipes i have given them. its been a long time since i smoked a briar. I have 10 nice ones from different makers (radice, savinelli,Le Nuvole,becker etc.) but i just cant put down the modified MM cobs.

2. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

I've gifted a couple too, as well as a pouch of Carter Hall to get em started.

cobbsmoker and TheMadMan like this.
  3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I've been gifting pouches of Carter Hall and Cobs for years and currently have (5) cigar smokers at my local cigar lounge learning pipe smoking puffing on cobs. :)

TheMadMan and Artistik like this.
  4. FiveKai

FiveKai Member

you know ive never tried Carter Hall SWR SWRA or PA.... i dont know why. im going to ppick those up and give them a try

Artistik likes this.
  5. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I think I have given away more pipes than I have kept. I have everyone I know watching the yard sales and flea markets for nice estate pipes. I clean them up and give them away to friends. I think that most pipe smokers do this sort of thing. It is one of the reasons why communities like this are so generous and close knit.

About 10 years ago guy named Bear Graves once sent me a box with 3 pipes, some tobacco, a pipe tool, a pouch, and a lighter for free. He wanted to help new pipe smokers establish a decent rotation, and experienced pipe smokers that were down on their luck. I will never forget his generosity, and I have been paying it forward every chance I get ever since.

I think almost all of us have been given a pipe or some tobacco by another pipe smoker at some point, and that generosity (and often generativity) set a precedent for our own behavior in the pipe smoking community. Perhaps the ritual of pipe smoking is a connection to our roots, to a time where things seemed simpler and men were honorable, that makes us inclined to look out for one and other. Maybe it is part of all of our natures to enjoy helping others, and as like minded people we have gravitated towards each other. Whatever the reason, suffice it to say I am glad to be here.

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

You need to pick up a pouch and fire some up in a fresh cob and let us know what you think? :th1:

7. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

I will send you a few bowls worth of CH. PM me your address.

Smokingmiami and TheMadMan like this.
  8. FiveKai

FiveKai Member

much appreciated! pm sent

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Awesome, and good on you. :bing:

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've gifted several to people who have shown interest. I still need to send a few out to some forum friends here.

MrJarvis likes this.
  11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Anytime I've gifted a cob, for some reason I throw in PA. It's just like they're made for each other.
    It's funny because the briar that I've gifted, I didn't throw in PA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.