1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I love to see a band

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Most of my pipes seem to have a contrasting band of some sort on the stem, I like to see them!. The one in the avotar has been a favourite smoke for many years, but I often thought that 'something was missing' - so while giving it a good clean and wax this morning, I fitted a band, not silver unfortunately - but alluminum.....but it's a belated 'finishing touch' IMO
    OT[​IMG]

2. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Is that the same pipe as the one in your avatar?

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....Yep!....different hunk of tobacco 'tho :)

4. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Looks like it's "aged" a bit, but in a good way. I like the band too...Maybe it would also look pretty nice with a brushed aluminum band? Brushed aluminum, and maybe "age" it a bit with some rubbed off paint in a few different colors.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Well it has had around thirty years use!, and the monthly hot wax bath bath does tend to alter the colouration slightly, e.g. - after a few days handling and smoking, it usually looks a little paler, but I'm not too bothered about the appearance of my pipes - as in artificial ageing or 'distressing', like their owner - mine look a bit rough though age and use!
    OT

6. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

That's a really cool looking pipe. I like that it looks well used, but it's still in amazing shape for being a 30 year old pipe!

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

One nice meer! The band does set it off nicely. Well done OT...well done.

8. DocB

DocB Active Member

I am diggin' that pipe Sir... nice touch with the band!!

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Nice Ted! Yes indeed! Ever try something in copper or brass? Always thought brass made a snazzy band!:)

Will

10. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Oooh a brass band might be pretty snazzy on that thing!

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dig bands too ! Imo , the Pot shape in not very elegante [ or sightly ]. I think I'll look for some w/ bands . Maybe that will dress them up a bit . Thanks for the post casue it gave me an idea :)

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

ya memories goin Will!....and ya still only a youngster! LOL ;) ....and I hate machining copper! - it's too soft, and 'tears' when cutting - off in the lathe, clogs the tools up, and needs constant polishing.....now phosphor-bronze - that would be nice.

[​IMG]

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Damn Ted , Your camera rocks ! What kind do you have ? Very sweet cob as well !!

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

......it's only a 6mp Nikon D40...outdated now! but does most of what I need, and I can use my old manual Nikon lenses that I've had for years!
    OT

15. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I started my journey into photography with a D50 (predated the D40). But soon after upgrading to a D2000, I switched to Canon. The D40 was still sold up until pretty recently I think.

Anywho, back on topic (sort of), that cob looks great! I don't remember if I commented in the other thread about it or not, but it looks a lot classier than it's unmodified twins.

16. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

windcheaters, falcon cobs, and now bands! Bang up job, sir, it looks OEM. Now when does OT Pipeworks go into full production for masses?

17. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Well you know OT, aluminum used to be more valuable than silver! Looks sharp. Is that Kendal Plug?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.