1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I met Perique too...the tobaccy, that is...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by sorringowl, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorringowl

sorringowl SorringowlandSons.etsy.com

Aug 2, 2010
    Just completed my first trade with the very gracious (and generous) Glenn, here on PSF, and after receiving what I could only describe as a "Christmas in Summer" sampler pack from him, I tried my first bowls of Escudo and Old Gowrie. Wow! Hello Perique. Pleased to meet you.

This is my first intro to Perique and I have to tell you, it's really different, in a really good way. A little hard to describe but I will try my best here.

When I first opened the bag of Escudo, I was reminded of something a friend (a non-smoker) said one time when I let him get a whiff of my tin of Maple Street, "Oh my god," he said, "I just wanna' eat it!" That's exactly how I felt when I got a whiff of the Escudo. To me, it smells like a combo of chocolate, coffee, plums, smokiness and well, tobacco. It's not sugary or fake smelling at all either, it's more like if you had actual fresh ground coffee, cocoa and dried fruits in your hands. I think its the best smelling baccy (unsmoked) I've tried yet. But instead of eating it, I thought it best (and more dignified) to actually put it in my pipe and smoke it.

Smoking this was pretty interesting. It goes from being really smooth at the beginning, with very subtle hints of the aromas I described above (but not in an aro kind of way at all). Then, in the middle, it goes from smooth to getting...I don't want to say spicy, as I've heard that said about this tobacco before (as well as "peppery") and to me, whenever I hear a tobacco is "spicy" or "peppery" I think, "ugh, that's gonna' burn my throat," but I would describe it as being well, "smoky!" It's the kind of smokiness you smell, and more importantly, taste, when you try a good piece of beef or salmon that's been freshly, and properly, smoked. It's almost like a mesquite-y kind of flavor and I really like it! Toward the bottom of the bowl, I thought to myself, "hey, I could really get used to this stuff," (aka, addicted). Now I see why there are so many VaPer fans out there. I will definitely be trying more of these delicious little coins soon and tell you what else I can find in there.

Next up, in Part II, is Old Gowrie, in which I am introduced to a horse of a different kind, Kentucky, and of course, more Perique. Now, I have to go to work and make furniture so that I can afford to buy more pipes and more delicious tobacco that I have yet to try (thank you, Glenn, for the intro to Mr. P).

Hmm...I wonder how Escudo would smoke in this Askwith Nosewarmer? Let's see...if I get another furniture commission...
  2. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dec 10, 2009

Very nice review! I am glad you are enjoying them.
  3. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Nov 30, 2009
    That was a very good and thorough observation of periquie. I would recomend it for anyone wanting to try it and wanting to know what to expect. I've never had a perique blend I didn't like, except anniversery kake, and that was only because it didn't contain enough perique.
  4. Brian

Brian Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Latakia is smoky because it is literally a "smoked" product, like smoked meats, using aromatic and resinous woods.

I think perique is more like cavendish in my mind. I am thinking of MacBaren's cavendish, not so much the sweet vanilla aromatic style. Cavendish is "spicy" because of stoving and fermentation. Perique is like that too, being fermented, and a lot stronger generally.

That's how I sort it all out in my mind.

I have some Escudo and Anniversary Kake. I go to those occasionally. I like them, but I don't find myself gravitating to regular VaPer smoking. For some strange reason, Escudo makes my head swim. It isn't rated that high generally in the nicotine. Must just be a reaction I have to the perique in Escudo in particular.
  5. hoss

hoss Member

Jun 24, 2010
    For a good sense of what perique adds to a blend, try a bowl of John Patton's Quadruple VA followed by a bowl of his Cool Hand Fluke. The latter blend is achieved by taking the former and adding (reportedly) 40% perique.
  6. raf66

raf66 Member

May 11, 2010
    Please do not warm to the charms of Escudo, my fellow pipe smoker, as I am trying to hoard all of the Escudo for myself. :thumb:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.