1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I need advise on new 'baccy

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sasqets, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

I currently smoke W.O. Larsen tobacco. 1864, Signature, Old Fashioned, and 2009 Edition. As you can see, I like mild aro's and am wanting to expand my horizons a bit.
    I tries latakia and hated it.
    I am looking at Peterson Sherlock Holmes. Definately!

Any other recommendations? :cheers:

Any advise on Irish flake, Irish Oak, 3P etc...

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You've had the best in Aros with the WO Larson blends. WOL OF is my personal fav.

Try the two weeds that are in the up coming 2T2M. I sure you would like at least one of them.

If you have never tried PA or CH your really missing out on the very best OTCs.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Irish Flake, Irish Oak, and 3p are gonna blow yours socks off if you are smoking Larsen. I mean... they will leave you drooling and unable to walk because they are just so strong.

If you are a committed aromatic guy, I would suggest moving into some of the Peterson aros: Luxury Blend or Connoisseur's Choice are both good. Sherlock is moving into a more natural tobacco, though it has a gentle casing... almost a bergamot sort of smell.

If you find the Sherlock to your tastes, then a brand you might want to check out is Mac Baren, who kind of specialize in lightly aromatic tobaccos which generally have a pretty good "tobacco" flavor at the base. Navy Flake, Club Blend, Scottish Mixture, Dark Twist... all excellent.

McClelland certainly makes some latakia-less products.... ah... you know, if you haven't tried it, grab a tin of Signature Mixture or evenign stroll (Benjamin Hartwell). Very tastey, very easy smoking.
    Chesdin is good too, but it has a bit of latakia.

But I guess I'd say try a tin of Dark Twist. It's not expensive, it's kind of fun to play with the spun-cut tobacco, and it tastes and smells really good.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Wow.. that's pretty unusual. Jesla recommends Carter Hall and I recommend a Mac Baren twist.

Who woulda thunk it? :cheers:

5. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

Sorry, I need some further 'splainin done. What is "2T2M", "PA", and "CH" ?

6. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Prince Albert & Carter Hall.

I personally like the prince a tad better.

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Irish Flake! I've been puffing that stuff for several years and it hasn't gone stale on me yet. Had a bowl this morning on the veranda! Still hits the spot like no other tobacco. A cup of Russian Caravan and Irish Flake....... I'm happy.........

Lately, I've been enjoy University Flake as well! Guess it's the hint of Blue Berries - dunno. I like it, just not a steady diet, once in a while.

Peterson Special Reserve is another blend that sorta hits the spot now-n-again. It's a toss between that and Blue Note, when the mood strikes.

So thar ya be..... my $.02 worth.

Will

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

2T2M is our bi-monthly 2 tobacco head-to-head review.

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

If you like aros try some Blue Note. I also like MacB Vanilla Creme.

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Blue Note?!?!?!? :puffy:

Run away.....Run away.......

11. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

I've tried both Blue note and vanilla Creme in the past and didnt care for either. A bit too sweet (aromatic?) for my tastes. I like subtle flavors.

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Dark Twist. You'll thank me.

13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I agree that they are sweet. I don't smoke aros a whole lot but I do like Old Fashioned, Vanilla Creme and Blue Note from time to time. I bought a tin of Dark Twist two weeks ago but have only smoked one bowl of it so far.

14. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Straight Latakia is kind of strong...... Have you tried any blends with just a little bit of Latakia in them? :thumb:

15. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

Yeah, it was a blend, but it was still overpowering. I know some guys that smoke straight latakia. That stuff'll make you crazy!!! :cheers:

16. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

Thanks for all of the input guys! :coffee:
    I'm heading to the tobacconist today to see what I can score! Gonna try and get Sherlock Holmes and some Dark twist for sure, and maybe try some other Peterson blends. :thumbsu:

17. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Haven't had it in years.  Just got some yesterday.  Its all your fault.

Jay

18. Planet Scott

Planet Scott Member

I am smoking the 1864 too. Try Solani 131.....Another favorite is Mac Baren Original Choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.