1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I now own a briar pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by s1mp13m4n, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

the only thing Will and I do different is that I don't wipe them out with alcohol first; I drink a neat whisky before starting on a new pipe and don't waste the spirit cleaning out the pipe when it's new! Meers do need cleaning when new though I will admit.

I can add nothing to his post - I'd say follow that advice, take it easy and relax and it'll all come together.

Happy smoking

Gerry

2. WillH

WillH Active Member

One things that really bugged me was a comment made to me while I was selling my 40 year collection of perfectly broken in pipes. This guy in Nevada buys one and calls to tell me it's the best smoking pipe he's ever had and wants to know if I had any more of that brand for sale. I said no they were all gone. And he says, "Damn, I'm gonna buy a couple more of those pipes new because they sure smoke sweet!" I felt like telling him, "Right buddy, and I wonder who spent months, or even a years, breaking in that pipe so it would smoke so SWEET". Wonder how he's doing with his "new" pipes? :whistle:

Gerry, don't worry I sneak a wee dram for myself. And you are correct. The idea is to relax, have a nice smoke and reflect on the all the assholes in government that are screwing us blind! :eek:hyeah:

Will

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I'm going to play the contrarian here. My limited experience is a bit different. When I took up pipe smoking, I thought about how best to care for pipes and breaking them in, etc. The one thing I kept in mind was that breaking in a pipe takes time, so I focused on getting pipes with a reputation as decent smokers. Maybe I just got lucky, but all of my pipes smoke well. Falconeer often mentions the traditional "battered old warrior" that's had little or no maintenance and I fall under that line of thought. The cake will build on its own for good or ill and trust me, you'll know when it's time to do a little scraping.

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

Contrarian? Me thinks you miss understand! That's basically all I do is let is happen! There's just a few, as I mentioned, little things that I've learned by experience too help the process. What I hate is the time it takes for the pipe to start cooking the way it should when properly broken in. I don't like new meerschaums because they take a dozen or so smokes to "season". I want a smoke! A good smoke with excellent tobacco. Life is too short to waste on problem pipes and bad tobacco. I've got the deal nail down and enough pipes to see me out. Well, maybe another meerschaum down the road - I sorta got my eye on one. :eek:hyeah:

One thing that is true. You have much better success with good briar and good briar is more often found among pipes with a good reputation - but not always. Good, hard, light weight briar is difficult to find! Then it's up to the carver to pull the best pipe outta that chunk of briar. Ain't easy.

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.