I really like a few tobaccos, suggest me some for my next order

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Monkey, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

A nice short title to get the thread started. I have found a few tobaccos I like quite a bit and am planning an order for mid May....but I am not sure what to try.

Likes...G&H Dark Flake (love, really), G&H BB#2, SG BBF, PS LTF, Edward's Reserve (an english rubbed flake kinda like Squadron Leader....buts rubbed flake with less oriental), Squadron Leader, CH in a Cob.

On the fence....most Burley blends I have tried. More of a mood thing but I'm working on it.

Dislikes....Aromatics. I have tried a lot of the Edward's blends and although not goopy, I do not prefer them. Also 4noggins evening cordial.....and 1792 (I decided on this one today...just not my glass of whiskey) and heavy oriental blends....I tried a few bulks from Edward's and the citrus flavor was a bit much for me.

On the list to definitely try...RRR, Stimulus Package, Condor.

I want to broaden my horizons and try new things. I will try Aros and burley blends but not sure what to try that I may like...but I also want to squirrel away a few pounds of G&H Dark Flake unscented and buy a 7 day set to dedicate to it.

2. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

You seem to like the GH flakes, have you tried the Coniston Cut Plug yet? its my favourite GH offering at the moment, very much recommended. Old Dublin is always one I recommend as its been a mainstay in my rotation for a very long time. One other I would recommend is Germains Rich Dark Flake, said to be the UK Stonehaven but I havent had the pleasure of smoking Stonehaven so I cant confirm that, on its own merits though GRDF is an absolute world beater for quality and flavour. Three very different tobaccos to give top quality and variety. :bing:

3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I'm just going to throw out there McClellands Brindle Flake!

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If you like GH Dark Flake and you like BB#2, I think you'll like Condor a lot, which I feel falls sort of in between the two. It has a touch less dark fired than Dark Flake (to my taste) and while it has a similar flavor to both of them, it's a little stronger in flavor than BB#2 and a little milder in flavor than Dark Flake. It's robust and satisfying in the nicotine department, but unlike Dark Flake it is never so strong as to overwhelm me. If you love smoking Dark Flake, Condor would be a wonderful blend for you.

I similarly endorse Irish Flake, which strikes me as being very similar in it's base tobaccos as Dark Flake and Condor, but without any notable flavoring. It's got a good bit of dark fired, but not too much.

If you like Dark Flake I will also recommend Kendal Dark, which is the same blend of tobaccos but totally unflavored/unscented, and presented in a fine ribbon cut. One of my all time favorite blends, and I probably go through it quicker than almost any other blend when it's on hand.

5. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Before you place an overseas order for Condor, give GH Ennerdale a try. The tobaccos are different, but the flavoring is similar. Ennerdale is like Condor's wimpy little brother. If you don't like the flavor of Ennerdale, you might want to steer clear of Condor.

Jeebs likes this.
  6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

So you are wanting to branch out and try some new things or you want to try other blends similar to what you like?

7. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

Condor is so unique you'll either love it or hate it after the first few bowls. Ready Rubbed is probably one of my favorite tobaccos. Only one way to find out if it's to your tastes :)

Enjoy branching out and hope a new blend you try will surprise you and be added to the favorites :)

Bert

8. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Looking to branch out a bit...but also looking for the "If you love ..... then you have to try...
    ."

I really haven't tried a lot of different pipe tobaccos. Kinda grabbed a few and went with producers I know from enjoying their snuffs as well as local shop reccomondations....but they reccomend their bulk blends and carry very few flakes at a much more expensive price than the online shops.

Just looking to fill out a list so I have focused tad. Rampant , loose cannon tad is a dangerous thing.....you should see the snus in my freezer.......maybe not.

9. Albert

Albert Active Member

Mclelland Blackwoods Flake. you cant go wrong... :toast:

whitebriar and Tortuga like this.
  10. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Where do you get your tobbacco? Bought a few ounces of Ideal Blend from Schwabbs. Not to bad but haven't tried everything they have. They are a pipe and tobbacco store in Lexington Ky.

11. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

if you enjoy good straightforward tobacco flavor, then these may interest you:

Old Joe Krantz (BurVaPer)
    Haunted Bookshop (BurVaPer) (of the two, OJK and HB, i can't pick a favorite--it's a dead heat)
    Morley's Best (BurVaLat) (close on the shirt tails of the two above)

Big and Burley and Bayou Night are two more full bodied tobaccos you might enjoy--

these are old school, no frill tobaccos, sure to please if you enjoyed the aroma of your grandad's pipe--

incidentally, i buy in bulk; can't speak to tinned examples of these blends--

12. SBritton

SBritton Member

BBF in a cob.

13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

+1 on the Brindle Flake!

14. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

If you love G&H Dark Flake (my #1) then you'll love Irish Flake (like I do). I would also highly recommend G&H Dark Birdseye and Kendal Kentucky. Kendal Dark (Dark Flake in a shag cut) is great but can be extremely harsh and bitter if not sipped, and there's no reason to smoke it if you have Dark Flake on hand.

SouthBound likes this.
  15. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Try some Solani Aged Burley Flake and see what that does for you. Likely to change your outlook on burley.

Looks like you need to branch out and try some perique with your virginias. Escudo, St James Flake, etc. There are lots of good vapers.

Maybe try a little oriental with your Virginia like C&D oriental silk or Sunday picnic.

Jeebs likes this.
  16. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I agree with Glenn...Solani Aged Burley is loaded.......with nicotine...the only burly I smoke...I'm mostly Va/Vaper smoker..GH Honeydew, Ennadale, Louisiana flake, Dark Plug and CR flake are my favorite GH.

SouthBound likes this.
  17. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Nice! Thank you for your suggestions. Now....which to order first? ;-)

18. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Where do you order yours from?

19. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

@rlucas I order from the lowest bidder ;-)

4noggins has treated me right as well as smokingpipes. Locally I buy from Edward's.

Can I do that fancy quote a person thing from my DROID or do I need an app (or a real computer )?

20. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.