I recruited 2 more people to the pipe

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mington, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Last night a friend of mine came over and his wife. Him and I have been cigar smoking buddies for over 16 years. Recently, before getting together, he mentioned he was interested in trying the pipe. So I picked him up a MM Legend corn cob, a czech tool, and some pipe cleaners.
    They came over last night and I showed them my pipe collection and tobacco collection.
    I let them see and smell some and explained the different types; aro's, English, Va/Pers, flakes, ropes, etc.
    Well my friend's wife who sometimes smokes mini flavored cigars too, seemed game. Luckily I had an extra MM cob laying around.
    I really didn't know what to start them with smoke wise. I decided to have them try an aro and the 1st one I started with; Peterson's De Luxe Mixture.
    I showed them how to pack it and gave them the 101 on smoking, etc.
    They loved it! (see below pic)
    My friend was up for bowl 2 and wanted to try another aro, so I gave him a bowl of Dan's Blue Note. He liked that too.
    So... I sent them home with a very generous sampler package of aros, English, some Va flakes, etc.
    So let's see if they become and stay dedicated pipers.
    I showed them and sent them the links to here and TR, so maybe we will see them here soon!
    A good time was had by all. Now maybe I donn't have to smoke alone. ;)
    [​IMG]

telltime likes this.
  2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Good job, Ming! Keep spreading the gospel, brother pipester! ;)

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good time. Good friends and cobs around a fireplace, even one without a fire burning in it, is a wonderful thing.

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Anyone starting a pipe automatically raises their IQ by 20 points. They're better looking too.
    Ol Brokedik.

5. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

So what you're saying is that some of us are breaking even? That's upsetting.

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

Good work! Looks like they are happy smokers!

7. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Great work, Ming... I hope they keep enjoying it.

8. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Great job! My bother and I have been doing cigars for about 7 years on our "cigar nights" but given my renewed interest in the pipe of the last year or 2 he is now asking me to try! He's only 30 so I see this as a positive thing! The more pipe smokers the better!

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That had to be a fun time, and congrats on the converts. :toast:

I've got a friend I've known since high school that smokes stoggies too. He recently asked if I still prefered a pipe over a cigar, and I told him I did and told him about the cellar plans. He wants to come over and take a look and smoke a bowl too. We are planning a test run when the weather cools off a bit so we can sit outside and maybe cookout. I'll have to take your cue and get him an MM to get him going.

10. RTOdhner

I think the best recruiting tool is basic modeling. Just going out for a walk, or walking the dogs, or sitting in a park, or tooling around in the car or truck while smoking a pipe goes a long way. On-lookers might not ask us directly about our pipes, but they'll see us none-the-less and that wonderful aroma and those big billows of wonderful smoke might just spike their interest.

Honda Motorcycles used to have an advertising campaign that was build around the notion that "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda." I think they still use it as a footnote in their paper advertisements. It worked pretty well for Honda, and in short order their CB-750 and Gold Wing series bikes had taken a huge chunk of the market share. We can, and should, be doing the same thing.

We're a pretty friendly and personable bunch here on PSF, and I don't think were a bunch of toads and cyber geeks who can only interact on internet forums. We simply need to get out with our pipes. People will see us, and some will ask us about it while others might not but they will perhaps check it out for themselves- either way we're bound to get some people interested in this great hobby. Young or old, rich or poor, male or female makes no difference - we simply need to make our presence known to others. If nothing else, we'll get in an enjoyable stroll or quiet bit of book reading in the park. We might even meet some nice people along the way.

ATXPipe, Jay and Mington like this.
  11. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have to admit, converting people to the pipe is epic! I have moved so there doesn't seem to be any fellow pipers around here :(

12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Great job!!..but just keep them away from ebay for a while.;). I keep getting out bid

DocB likes this.
  13. DocB

DocB Active Member

Stand-up work Ming... I hope they stick with it!!

14. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Good work, Ming! With such expert instruction, they'll be pro's in no-time!!

~Aaron

15. NoRm

NoRm Member

Brilliantly put, RTOdhner!
    Our hobby is a bit of a dying art. I think it's important that we are seen, as often as possible, smoking in public. In the last few years I have managed to entice 5 of my coworkers into adopting this most glorious habit simply by enjoying a pipe during my breaks.

16. RTOdhner

One of my favorite times and places to smoke is my kid's football practices. His team practices in a field beside a community center, and smoking is not prohibitted. So, I just sit out there in a camping chair, smoke a corncob pipe (usually my Egg or Diplomat), and watch young Mark practice. I make it a point to smoke down-range and a good distance away from the crowd because I think it is wrong to force non-smokers to "endur" my smoke, and I want people to see that pipe smokers are a courteous lot who do not wish to offend others.

I've had several people compliment me on the aroma, and more than a couple of guys compliment me on the pipe and advise that they thought that MM only made the little Legends (which they seemed to think looked a little on the hick side). On guy talked to me at length about it, and indicated that he was ging to chick it out himself. I like to think that he will soon be joining our ranks. Hell, maybe he already has.

17. Buck Mulligan

Buck Mulligan Member

Lucky, i can never find people to smoke with. I also get the stink eye whenever i smoke in parks and so on, really dont know why.

18. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I have a theory on the decline of pipe smoking..... At the height of pipe smoking, men came home from their work to the absence of 900 channel cable TV, 4G network speed phones, soccer practice, band rehearsal, second jobs and a long line at the local fast food mart. There was time for family around the dinner table, people actually went outside on nice evenings and enjoyed the outdoors with a drink or a pipe or cigar and when they came inside after dark, they read a book by one of those evil incandescent light bulbs or a fireplace, again possibley accompanied by a bowl of their favorite toby. There was time for the enjoyment of the pipe and to let the mind wander in it's own playground, not one generated by megapixels and CGI's in 5.0 digital surround sound. No one tweeted their thoughts or how many puffs it took to get to the bottom of the bowl, they just finished their smoke, closed the book, turned off the light and went to a restful night of 8-10 hours of sleep before doing it all again the next day.
    You can down a cigarette in less than 5 minutes, smoke a "dog-walker" cigar in less than 15. All time frames that make us brothers and sisters of the briar cringe with disdain! But in today's fast paced, mind clogging, stress inducing rat race, the increase in pipe enjoyment suffers as a casualty. Funny, but I bet if you asked everyone on this forum, they would all agree that "Time wasted is not necessarily wasted time".

19. Tanman

Tanman Member

Good work Ming!

20. RTOdhner

Well stated! Those of us who choose to smoke a pipe, I think, have made a conscious decision not to get caught-up in the carnival freak show that often passes for just another day - or at least not to totally embrace that freak show.

Dunlibi, Whalehead King and MakDragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.