1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I see spots...great estate pipe purchase

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Strongirish, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Went antique shopping over the weekend as I do a lot, and low and behold, while looking in a bottom drawer in a curio,there was a basket of pipes. I looked through them and caught my breath, I found 8 Dunhills in good condition, just needed cleaning. So, I find the vender of the store and ask how much for them. Now, I had already seen $50.00 Grabows and Falcons in the displays so I almost hesitated to ask. But she says oh those old things, I would take $10.00 for one of them if you want. Catching my breath again, I said if I took them all would you give me a discount? She says, well if you take them all, I will take $6.00 a pipe for them. I grabbed them and said I was in a rush, can I go ahead and pay for them? So, I am now the proud owner of 8 new Dunhills for $48.00 plus tax! And all they need is cleaning, no tooth marks, no scratches, obviously all loved and cared for. They appear to be from 50's and 60's. Also the same day I got a Preben Holm Zodiak Libra Copenhagen Denmark and an old cob with a bamboo shank. Both those were $5.00 each. What a great day. I tried posting pictures but my photos are too big I guess.

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Excuse me while I take a moment to pick my jaw up off the floor...on second thought this could take a while.

A truly astonishing find! After I read this I went off and looked up some local flea markets and antique shops. I've got some driving to do, but it will be cheaper than playing the lottery and I've got time to kill.

3. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

WOW talk about a very, very lucky day.....I have alot of antique and flea markets around me, the south loves em, and now i have an excuse to finally step foot into them. I would love to see some pics of the pipes.

4. nobler son

nobler son Member

:jawdrop: You have the devil's own luck.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Ah. Good things happen to good people. Great find, good eye.:jawdrop:

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Wow! Lesson learned: when on curio buys, always look in the drawers! [​IMG]

7. briarbrian

briarbrian Member

that is a great day in paradise thats for sure!

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I will take any one of them, sight unseen, off'n you for a cool $12, cash money.

9. Stoked

Stoked Member

:jawdrop:

[​IMG]
    I AM the estate

10. erickghint

erickghint Member

What a find. I really want to see pics. Maybe some before and after shots?

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

WOW! Maybe you ought to consider changing your name from "StrongIrish" to "LuckyIrish"! Great score! You lucky dawg!

Congratz!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

12. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Earl, were all waiting on pics!!!!

13. Barako

Barako Member

Antique shops here rarely carry pipes and when they do, it's usually the low end severely abused ones,although I am still hoping to stumble on a find like yours. Talk about serendipity, great score :velho:

14. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Unreal. I would feel better if it was April 1st, cuz, well, wow! Lucky, lucky, lucky.

This makes me want to move back to GA. My sis-in-law was there last week and spied pipes 'everywhere' while she went to the various fleamarkets. Me here in PA? Nada.

(I gotta ask, you gonna go on Antiques Roadshow and play coy when they give you a resell value? :velho: )

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

Geeze Earl you are the man! I have never gotten anything crawling the antique shops around here. It's usually just junk!

Good for you! :velho:

Will

16. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

8 dunhills for $48.00 I'm still sleeping right????

WOW. Amazing. Congrats on the find.

17. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Amazing and almost unbelieveable - must be the bargain of the century - well done you. I've combed UK antique shops, car boot sales, flea markets tec for years but you just can't find stuff like that over here,

Enjoy for many years!

Best

Gerry

18. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Congratulations on the find of the year decade century, Strongirish! This is some excellent return karma as many of us newer pipe smokers are indebted to you for your posts over on Tobacco Reviews.com and for the excellent advice you always provide here.

19. caleb442

caleb442 Member

That is awesome! Always keep your eyes peeled! I have a similar story. I bought a box of pipes at an estate sale for $40. In it was a 1961 Dunhill root briar, a 1960 Dunhill tanshell, a Sasieni 4 dot (WWII era), and various other Comoy's and Kaywoodie Super Grains, etc. It's such a rush! Makes you think twice about buying new.

20. erickghint

erickghint Member

Reading this again, I'm thinking about going to the local Antique mall and seeing what I can find there. Jacksonville antique shops are kind of notorious for overcharging, but maybe I'll get lucky?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.