1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I smoked a bluehair... and I liked it!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Glenn, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

At least that is what it tasted like. :eek:hyeah:

I just got a little order in this afternoon and in it was several G&H tobaccos. I had been wanting to delve into the Lakeland thing a bit and see what it was all about. I got a sample of G&H Balkan Mix from a fellow forum member recently and it had just a wee hint of the Lakeland essence which left me wanting more. I found more. Alot more.

I got in some Ennerdale and Kendal flake and a big ol' black turd. It is suppose to be Black Irish X but I think someone put a turd in the bag instead.

So off I went to give it a go. I pulled a flake of Ennerdale out and a flake of Kendal flake out and set them aside to dry for an hour or so. The smell of the two was pretty strong. Smelled like bingo night at the KC hall.

I pulled out a couple of cobs and headed for the swing out back to watch the hummingbirds ravage my feeders with a big glass of sweet tea in tow. A nice breeze was blowing and the temps were bearable. I was looking forward to a couple hours of being lazy.

First up, the Ennerdale. The flakes were somewhat loose and slightly falling apart. The aroma was real strong of floral aromas not unlike my grandmother's perfume. Just as described in the reviews. I rubbed it out well, packed a bowl and fired it up. Holy smokes is that floral stuff strong. I now understand all the "soapy" comments. Within about 5 minutes I had a line of old guys in tweed jackets and ivy caps toting roses and lining up looking to visit with my grandma. They wouldn't take no for an answer. I told them there wasn't a grandma around but they wouldn't hear of it. It was kinda like hanging doe in heat on a limb when deer hunting. They were flocking in like crazy.

Ok, so I made that part up but it could have happened. Hahahaha! The flavor was very heavily floral and soapy. I think I smoked a bluehair, but I have to say I liked it. It was on the verge of too much but at the same time I found it very interesting and different. I don't think I could smoke it all the time but at the same time I keep thinking about giving it another go.

So I finished it off. All was well. Helped get dinner started and headed back out for round 2. I pulled apart a half flake of the Kendal Flake. The aroma is fairly strong but not as strong as the Ennerdale. The flake was better formed. These flakes are huge. Half a flake easily fills a cob plus some. Again I rubbed it out well, stuffed it, packed it and fired it up. This time the florals were much more subdued. I could taste the tobacco more and the topping accented it more than masked it. Seems like really good quality tobacco at that. I liked this one alot. I might could smoke Ennerdale once in awhile but this Kendal Flake could be more regular.

Both smoked cool, both burned even without a hint of tongue bite. I had no issues with either one in prepping, packing or smoking. Very interesting stuff. It makes me want to order some more of the G&H varieties to try. Maybe some of the unscented flakes next time. Maybe some Bosun Plug, Coniston Cut Plug, etc too.

So for those who like Lakeland tobaccos and specifically G&H blends, which are your favorites?

As a side note, no actual bluehaired grannys were harmed in the making of this review. And no offense is meant to the old farts on the board. :roflmao:

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Sometimes Granny's perfume hits the spot. Ghosts forEVVVA!

3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

That is why I pulled out some of my oldest and most well used cobs. I figured that would be the case.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Being you've ventured into floral maybe you could try Velvet if ya haven't allready .... it tastes like play doh . Soap ... play doh .... dear God whats next . Anytime I've smoked something soapy it was time to smoke burley like a monster . Multiple bowls or Golden Extra and SWR . After smoking velvet I felt as though I'd be violated in some sick kind of way . Just me though ........ soap , Dear God

5. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

I feel that way after smoking Blue Note :bag:

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Yes, I've tried my hand at the floral conundrum,
    and I immediately ran the opposite direction.
    One of these days, I'll trade out that unopened
    tin of BBF ...for some VAs.

dp

Glenn, great post BTW. :roflmao:

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

BBF? That's not soapy or floral at all. Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

My thought as well.

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Still sealed. The other SG's shied me away
    from popping this one. I suppose I could
    crack it, and if I didn't like it, my FNG's
    would.

10. CBR

CBR Member

Sorry Glenn, can't answer your question as I haven't tried any myself, but I'm also curious if anyone has tried Dark Plug, Kendal Flake or Kendal Kentucky?

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

My limited experience with SG says BBF is 'au naturale' much like Union Square. Course, I didn't care for BBF...or US, for that matter. However, it would be a good FNG sample for the 'all natural VA flake experience' whatchamacallit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.