I suspect that my lovely Stanwell is damaged... :(

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Per Nielsen, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Per Nielsen

Per Nielsen New Member

Hello to all you fine gentlemen!
    I have what I might suspect would be a grave problem with my new lovely Stanwell pibe and since my girlfriend bought it for me, at quite a high price I assume, I would like your advice on the matter so that I don't get kicked out of the bed when she finds out.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see from the picture, I hope you can at least since I had a lot of trouble getting the right angle and proper lighting, there is a hole or crack and the black stuff that is in the bowl per standard from the stores. You can see the lovely wood of the bowl underneath and I haven't smoked it since I discovered it because I feared that I would damage the pibe itself. How do I go about this fellas?
    I would very much appreciate any advice given and wish you all a lovely weekend.

Greetings from Denmark,
    -Per

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Hello and welcome, Per,

Are you speaking of the discoloration at the 12 o'clock position? Is there truly a crack or hole, or is the carbonized lining just uneven? Can you notice anything on the outside of the bowl at that spot?

3. Per Nielsen

Per Nielsen New Member

The outside of the bowl itself is intact and I thank gods for that. I just googled carbonized lining and yes, the carbonized lining is missing where the crack/hole is. The bowl and wood itself is fine since I discovered it before I smoked it again. Is there need for concern when the carbonized is missing and how should I proceed? Thank you very for the reply.

-Per

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think just smoke it. No concerns at all.

5. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

It's not clear enough to see if it's deep or shallow. That is a pretty thick walled pipe. Looking at it though, it seems like it is scorched all the way around.

6. Per Nielsen

Per Nielsen New Member

All of the carbonized lining is missing in the crack. Would it damage the pipe if I smoked it even tough there is nothing but the bare wood of the bowl where the hole/crack is? You guys are very fast to reply in here! I will definitely return if I ever have doubts about anything else pipe related.

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I can't tell from the picture, but if the wood of the bowl itself is not cracked, you're completely fine, you'll build a cake up to cover the whole inside of the bowl before long.

neoclassical likes this.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It won't damage it. I scrape that lining out of Stanwells because I don't like how it tastes in the first place. Briar is tough stuff.

neoclassical and FlatbushPaul like this.
  9. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

If it's just the carbon lining, smoke it like normal. A lot of members here advocate sanding the lining off anyway. It makes little difference as your pipe will cake like an uncarbonize pipe ....that is, like any other pipe. If the wood is cracked, contact stanwell.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Smoke it, with no worries.

11. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

First off, welcome to the forum! We would hope that you join us in the celebration of all things pipe, not just when you have a problem. You will find that there are a lot of great guys and gals here, and some of the conversations can be a lot of fun, as well as informative!

On to your problem/question...scrape away the coating and closely examine the bowl. If there is no crack, hole or flaw in the bowl, you are good to go. If however, you see a crack or flaw in the WOOD itself, the pipe is defective. You should be able to return it to either the dealer where your lady purchased it, or to the Stanwell factory for a replacement.

Let us know what you find....

IrishRover, Kiowapipe and MrJarvis like this.
  12. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

+1

13. Per Nielsen

Per Nielsen New Member

Wow, what a welcome! I will take up T-bears advice and troll around these forums when I find spare time. Anywho, this seems to cover my question. Since there is no damage to the bowl itself but only the carbonized lining I will build up a cake on the briar wood like I would on any new pipe. Thank you very much for the help! I got really nervous when I noticed the "flaw", or what you might call it, on my brand new pipe.
    Again, thank you all for a very swift and informative response. Happy saturday to all of you!
    -Per

14. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

+1 on T-bear or, just smoke it ;)
    ... Welcome to the forum :bing:

15. Locopony

Locopony Member

All fears come from lack of understanding. Understanding comes from experience and education. This is a good place to get educated. Only life can give experience. Have fun with it.

16. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

We live to serve! :th1:

17. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

18. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.