1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I think I just made a good deal...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tudorp, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I also play the ukulele, and have an 1930 Banjo/Uke valued at about $150. A guy that dove into pipes then realized he didn't like it much fell in love with my Banjo/uke, and we just made a swap for his entire pipe lot for the banjo. He also thought he wanted to make pipes so he has a buttload of briar pipe blanks in various stages of completion.

He got my banjo uke valued at $150

I got: 2 Peterson pipes (one bent, one straight, retail about $280 for both), 1 merscham pipe (not sure of the maker, but he said he paid $250 for it, he is reliable and no reason to believe he exadurated, I will find out more about that one when I get it), a gourd & merscham pipe that he isn't sure of it's manufacture, but from the pics, it sure looks nice. A couple other misc pipes he knew nothing about, I'll check those out when they get here. A 6 pipe rack, 2 or 3 nice lighters, some cleaning tools, A shoebox full to the brim with the briar block blanks, 3 Lbs of tobacco (1.5 Maple Steam, 1.5 1Q), a couple pipe ash trys, and some other misc stuff.. I think I got a deal. The Petersons I confirmed what they were, and I made out with just those alone not counting all the other stuff.. Can't wait to get it here to add to my collection..

el guero and TRAVIS like this.
  2. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

You did good.

3. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Damn man, you scored a great deal. I hope he can play that banjo because we know you can smoke those pipes!

4. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Yeah, he can play. In fact, he and I both build ukes. This 1930 one, I restored a couple years ago. It is really nice, but still $150 uke, maybe as much as $200 for someone that just has to have it. He knows what it is, and he knows most of what his pipe stuff is worth, he simply just don't want the pipes, but wants the uke. So, he's good with it, and I am stoked to add his collection to mine..

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on the sweet additions! You did well! Beale.

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Good deal! :th1:

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I would have given you three Petes for a banjolele.

Still, yeah, you made out like a bandit!

8. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

A ukulele player named Bill Tapia just passed away down by my house. He was 103 years old and apparently was a big Uke player over the years. Sorry for the tangient but thought you might have heard of him.

9. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I
    got another banjole, so be careful of the deal ya ask for.. hahhah

10. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Sounds like you scored!

11. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Yes, I have heard of Bill.. Hate that another great is gone..

[​IMG]

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Well, an item is worth what you are willing to give for it. If you are both pleased with the swap, you both broke even, no mater the retail value.

Sounds like you have some fine additions to your rotation and he has a ukulele that he can enjoy playing for a good long while.
    My dad player the uke...wish I knew what happened to it when he passed.................

13. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Actually, my grandkids love my ukes, and uke playing. I have as many ukes in my collection than I do pipes, lol.. Not sure which is worse (or better depending on perspective). UAS (Uke Aquisition Syndrone) is as bad if not worse than PAS (Pipe Aquisition Syndrone), hahhah.. It's hell when ya suffer with both..

I actually mix these two hobbies.. In my uke cases, I always place a small pouch of aromatic pipe tobacco in the case. It makes the ukes smell sweet. The ones I play allot, I even have a small pouch inside the uke, and when I play it, the resonance of the wood makes the aroma fill the room. My grandkids lve that, and everytime they come over, the 1st thing they ask when they run up in my lap is "PaPa, can we smell your little guitars...?" lol.. Cracks me up everytime...

el guero likes this.
  14. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have an 1800's bangolin? (Banjo/mandolin)
    3 Custom-bilts and 2 Petersons anyone?

15. el guero

el guero Member

Man that sounds like you made out sweet and even better than both of you are satisfied!

16. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Good deal! :thu2:

17. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Sounds like you both did well. Congrats!

18. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Just got the maker of the Meerschaum pipe. It's a CAO.... Bonus..

19. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Here are the 4 substantial pipes in the lot. There are a couple others, but from what I can tell they aren't anything to brag about. These 4 is where the deal was a killer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This gourd I am still not sure who the maker is. Might this be familier to anyone?
    [​IMG]

20. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Can't beat a Pete..... and you have two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.