1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I understand driling more now.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Skrymr, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

So today I was able to go to a tobacco store that actually had some higher end pipes and tobacco. Notably an Erik Nording partially rusticated natural finish freehand pipe, which was an amazing looking pipe. (now I want one) I was able to look at the drilling in the bottom of the bowls of several pipes to compare them. Until now I only had my two estate briars to compare. One is a tobacco bar that the hole is well above the bottom of the hole, and the other is a Marxman that is a very big(to me) bowl and the hole is right at the bottom of the bowl. It was a big help to see how the different pipes were drilled. The Nording looked perfect, the draft hole was at the very bottom of the lowest part of the bowl. I've seen diagram's and drawings here in various posts, but until I saw the actual drilling in a clean pipe I wasn't quite sure what to look for. Now I am sure.

I just wanted to share.

Oh, and a side note. The proprietor of the store thought my DGE nosewarmer, a Missouri Pride, was a meerschaum pipe.

2. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

What store was this?:startl:
    Guess i can understand some people thinking all the plaster on the cob making it look just exactly like a meer.;)

cobbsmoker and Skrymr like this.
  3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

A Missouri Pride has no plaster.

Skrymr likes this.
  4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I'm thinking there might be something lost in translation here (I do this all the time, I'm a little dsyelix).

A Missouri Pride pipe is a Missouri Meerschaum product.

DGE's modified Missouri Pride pipes, are made from a Missouri Meerschaum MP bowl.

So maybe he just meant "that looks like a Missouri Meerschaum" pipe when he saw the DG?
    I know DG sneaks a sticker on 'em from time to time ;-)

cobbsmoker, TheMadMan and Skrymr like this.
  5. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I asked him what he meant. I thought he meant Missouri Meerschaum also. He meant meerschaum because of the unplastered texture. He only had Legends in stock. The DG sticker is still on mine.

6. DGErwin11

Skrymr,
    Just how much have you smoked that pipe. My MP's get a lot of use, but I have yet to wear them down smooth enough to be mistaken for a mee.:rolleyes:

Basil Meadows and Spillproof like this.
  7. DGErwin11

About the sticker. MM has been sending me bowls without the MM sticker. So, seeing as how nature abhors a vacuum.,,,,,,

Old Codger, Spillproof and Skrymr like this.
  8. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

I thought maybe he posted the wrong pipe name:doh:

Skrymr likes this.
  9. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I smoke it every chance I get, which is once or twice a day. But it is far from smooth. I got a wind cap for it today because it is such a great driving pipe.

TheMadMan likes this.
  10. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Skrymr, can you post up a pic of the pipe? i'd like to see maybe it looks like a carved meer colored up?;)

11. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Sure, just give me a few minute's.

TheMadMan likes this.
  12. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Her you go Madman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Thanks.. That just looks like a very nice looking cob. Love that new cap btw.:th1:

14. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Thanks! My fiancee loves it too. No more burn holes in her shorts from wind blown pipe embers. I just wish I could re light with it in place.

15. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

This is the cap i purchased, but not 100% sold on it.

[​IMG]

Sorry to go off topic!! But maybe he would think this is a meer. On topic.:poke:

Skrymr likes this.
  16. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Mine fits nicely, and keeps things where they belong. I also have a Mr. Brog with a cap on it. I can't light the pipes with them in place. I wish I could, they would be much better. For some reason, when I'm driving I have much less trouble keeping my pipes lit.

TheMadMan likes this.
  17. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Was the proprietor wearing his glasses? Things smooth over and blur when I'm not wearing my specs. All women are beauties without my glasses.:) But my dinner plate looks almost empty without the specs to magnify the portions.

18. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

I'm thinking the proprietor was just being facetious with ya.;)

Rodfather, Skrymr and DGErwin11 like this.
  19. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

It could be a glasses issue. I'm not exactly sure. I don't think he was their "pipe guy". He was a very nice guy though.

On another note. They sold estate pipes. Nice looking restorations on them too. Very clean bits, and nicely polished bowls. They must do them on site because they had a buffer and other tools right there next to the display.

TheMadMan likes this.
  20. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Truth be told, I think he had so many nice briars and meers, that the guy was saying what the heck is he smoking a cob for? When i sell these real nice looking & great smoking pipes. Also some B&M's just don't like cobs!!

MacNutz, Skrymr and DGErwin11 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.