1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I was thinking of buying this pipe... Do you think I should?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Sleeping Sun, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleeping Sun

Sleeping Sun Member

Alright so I was considering buying this pipe, but I thought I'd ask the opinion of some knowledgeable pipe smokers first. Check it out:
    http://www.lotrfanshop.com/lotrshop/pipes/long-stemmedrangerspipe.asp?ReturnPage=/lotrshop/pipes.asp
    What do you guys think? I'm fairly new to pipe smoking so I wanted the advice of someone with experience. Worth the money?
    Thanks

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

"Worth" has many meanings. If in this case the usage is "a durable pipe that smokes well" then no, it's not.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Only time I ever smoke mine is when I watch the movies.....

Kinda Cool!

Other than that ......never! Worth the money? Absoulty, to me.

If it were one of my first pipes I would have regretted it.....

4. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Macqueen makes some pipes similar to that with a little better quality, though not by much. You might look into them as I didn't even see a manufacturer's name listed on the pipe. I do recognize some of the pipes there as being from Macqueen, but not that one. Good for display? Perhaps. Good for a reliable long life smoker? Probably not.

Happy Smoking
    Arty

5. WLJayne

WLJayne Member

Hey SleepingSun,

MacQueen pipes are good from the reviews I've read, but they can take an age to get to you which is why I've written them off. However I have just bought this pipe from a UK maker, I've been in touch with the guy and he seems really nice. I will post a review up when it arrives but it isn't one of these mass manufactured merchandise pipes. He doesn't make many and seems to put alot of care into all of them. I know that Vauen in Germany make offical LOTR replicas but they are very, very expensive. If the pipe I linked to interests you then look out for my review in a few days. They look like they are excellent value for money, even as just a collector's piece. I will see how it smokes :).

But whatever you do, I would stay away from fan shops, the stuff is always, way overpriced - whether its a pipe or a mug they'll charge twice as much as another shop.

Will

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I don't think it's worth
    the money you could spend
    on a great smoker. It's
    only a novelty pipe IMHO.

dp

7. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

:withstupid:

8. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said, except consider what you want in your pipes. I thought I really wanted a churchwarden, so I bought one. I never smoke it. I then bought a really cool Vauen convertible, with both a churchwarden stem and a standard length bit, and smoke the standard length 90% of the time plus.

If you are a LOTR fan, then decide if one of the pipes will fill your needs, both for the novelty and the connection with Tolkien.

9. Sleeping Sun

Sleeping Sun Member

Ok I've taken everything into consideration, but what do you mean when you say "Good for a reliable long life smoker" or "only a novelty pipe"? What will happen over time that won't happen with a better quality pipe? Like developing a bad taste, burning wrong, etc?

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The biggest and most immediate issue is that a wooden stem will require a lot of care. Suck a piece of wood and dry it out and go back to it - you'll find it's all roughed up.

Pipes that are not made from briar are less resistant to heat and will eventually fail in some way - some of the ones you are looking at are briar and some not, from the looks of things.

On top of that you have the basic engineering of a pipe - a GOOD pipe, that is. This means providing a nice airway from the bowl to the top of the stem, and it can mean some pretty tricky drilling. Much easier to do wrong than right on the type of pipe you are looking at.

So all in all, you are looking at a collectible rather than a proper pipe, if that's another way to say it.

11. Sleeping Sun

Sleeping Sun Member

12. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

I would save up a little more and get a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson pipe. These come with two stems: a regular sized stem and a churchwarden type stem. I would even look for one on eBay. Here is a link to one from a trusted seller who I have personally bought from (who I have no affiliation with, just passing this on):

Stanwell HCA

This has a briar bowl, and you're basically getting a quality pipe from a trusted maker that you can use when you're in the mood to watch LOTR movies or when you just want to smoke a regular pipe, and, this one is going for pretty cheap (so far).

13. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Definitely not for a relatively new smoker. This is an oddity, not a regular smoker.

14. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

The second pipe isw made from ash, not a good smoking wood at all. If you qare going to get a churchwarden, and most here are right, you won't use it much, then you need to understand you won't get a good one new for under $100.00 and that is conservative. An estate on ebay you might get for $50-60 but you need to make sure its briar and hasd a vulcanite or Lucite stem. A wood stem will not last you long. Many woods not briar will and can be toxic to smoke so be careful.

15. WLJayne

WLJayne Member

Yep I guess there's a reason briar is so popular ;). Peterson do some nice looking briar churchwardens, might they also be suitable?

16. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

These pipes are "gimic" pipes, created to play to the LOTR mystique. Unfortunately, they are NOT well engineered, nor are they made from reliable "pipe" materials....quality briar bowl and vulcanite/lucite stems. They will last a while...probably gurgle and smoke hot....then they will end up on some shelf while you search for a good pipe. Stanwell and Peterson make good, reasonable C/W style pipes. Granted, they are not "Hobbit-ish" but do you want to LOOK cool, or smoke a cool-smoking pipe...your call. A $40.00 pipe is, in this case, a bad investment.

17. Sleeping Sun

Sleeping Sun Member

I'm really liking that HCA pipe... I think I'm gonna bid on it :confused:
    Perhaps I should clarify though; I have two pipes already, so if I were to get a huge LOTR pipe, that would be my "special occasion" smoker. Does anybody have a link to the Peterson Churchwardens?

18. BrucePerr

BrucePerr Member

Here's the link Enjoy

19. WLJayne

WLJayne Member

Same here. The Peterson C/W's should be good if they are anything like the other Pete's that people seem to like here. The Dublin Smooth is next on my list I think, though I'd really like to hear more about them. I suppose that when reliable briar came along it pretty much relegated all other older clay and wood pipes to novelties, but if novelty is what you're after on this occasion like me then I would still be happy to have such a pipe in my collection. The MacQueens are a bit expensive for a pipe that won't be a reliable smoker, the ash churchwarden I linked to is great for me as it is both novel and inexpensive and still has a very string LOTR/Fantasy theme, so I'll be happy if it smokes at all. But for assured quality smoking I'll be sticking to my briar.

We seem to be looking for the same thing :).

Will.

20. Burner

Burner Member

+1 on the HCA mine is fast becoming my number 1 briar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.