1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I wasn't sure where to post this, so...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Thuber88, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

As I read through the what are you smoking section each day, and night, I noticed a trend for a lot of the smokers.
    When you are smoking, a lot of you are having a soda or some sweet flavored drink along with your pipe.
    So. Doesn't that sweetness adversely affect or enhance the flavors of the tobacco you are smoking, so that it tends to be a less accurate experience of flavors in the tobacco?
    The same could be said for some coffee's as well I am sure.
    I primarily drink unsweetened ice tea all the time, and it does not leave any tastes in my mouth, but if I drank soda, I think it would change anything I was smoking to some degree.
    Sorry for rambling on.

2. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

What ever you drink it's pretty much consistant, isn't it. Consistant with the time of day and what you drink during a specific time period. So being fairly consistant you have an experience with smoking with a certian drink that becomes more or less a habit of the time. Being what it is, it dosen't matter. Your brain will associate itself with the different periods of time and the combonation of smoke and drink being habitual goes unnoticed or savored.

3. buistd

buistd Active Member

I like to drink (hot) tea (with milk - no sugar), and/or sparkling water when I'm smoking. I drink tea because it's delicious, and I drink sparkling water because it's delicious. On a more serious note, I find the sparkling water to have a soothing effect on my mouth when I'm smoking, and it helps to keep my palette refreshed. I also drink diet cola for the same reasons. Like to keep that tongue fresh!

JimInks, YAPPG and Thuber88 like this.
  4. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

If I am not drinking whiskey or beer, then it is unsweetened tea or water. I have tried juices and sodas and it really kills the integrity of the tobacco for me.

5. buistd

buistd Active Member

After reading this much I was hoping the next words would be, "I'm asleep".

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

As I smoke a lot of McClelland Virginias I find Earl Grey and other hot teas with a splash of citrus added enhances the sweetness of their Virginias.

7. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

You may be right. I tend to stick with water, unsweetened tea, or coffee when I drink a pipe.

KingsTarantula likes this.
  8. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I drink coffee with my pipe, because... I like coffee. If not coffee, then (hot) tea also. Cold sweet beverages do help soothe tongue bite, in my experience.

rondel65, Jeebs and JimInks like this.
  9. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

Black coffee, unsweetened hot tea of some variety, or sweetened ice tea here. That's about it.

10. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Sweet drinks don't affect my taste buds while smoking at all. Must be body chemistry.

YAPPG likes this.
  11. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I go through a LOT of water. I've always got a big glass of water next to my recliner.

KingsTarantula likes this.
  12. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

During the week, I drink the diet iced-tea mix that the wife keeps in the fridge. I've not noticed any change in the overall smoke flavor from when I'm drinking beer on Fridays and Saturdays. But then I also smoke very strong, full-bodied tobaccos.

13. Young Gun

Young Gun Member

Water or milk for me. Not sure why I tried milk one day but I quite like it when mixed with the smokiness, almost turns a little creamy. The trick for me is to sip it consistently throughout the smoke and not wait until I am parched and guzzle it all down.

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Hot tea for me. Preferably
    Prince of Wales.

Morse likes this.
  15. craig

craig Active Member

Its either water or coffee with one and a half sugars
    But i smoke vapers a lot and i find these go well with coffee so rather than affect the smoke i think it compliments me
    When i pick up my pipe i just instinctively go for coffee

16. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

If I'm enjoying both activities, I tend to do a cup of coffee with my pipe. I do a bit of cream and light on sugar in a cup of drip brew or else just sugar in an espresso. Either seem to balance well with my pipe. Sometimes I do alcohol, in which case a G&T is most common for me. I actually JUST had a brilliant pairing of some McC 5100 with a G&T made of Whitley Neil's london dry. I got a lot of extra bright, floral-ish notes when I puffed. I wonder if perhaps some lingering alcohol on the tongue enhanced flavors (as some flavor compounds are best conveyed in alcohol) or something else entirely... but regardless it was lovely!

Morse likes this.
  17. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Coffee & sweet tea for me.

Glenn likes this.
  18. deyo67

deyo67 Member

Coffee and tea for me also

19. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Black coffee, sweet ice tea, ice water, and an occasional Dr. Pepper are what I usually drink. When it is cold I sometimes drink hot tea instead of ice tea. I also enjoy some various adult beverages. There is no doubt that for me sometimes I strike upon a combo that just sings. One example off the top of my head is black coffee and burley in the morning. Like peas and carrots I tell you.

Tea and water seem to work well with almost anything.

Morse likes this.
  20. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Black coffee is great for me in the ams. Particularly with some emp or squadron leader. Hmmm. Good stuff there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.