1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I won a Dunhill, but....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by 1stGenRex, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

The description says this is a Dunhill made for SAAB about 15 years ago. My uneducated search brought up that it should be older than that, as it is stamped "BLACKBRIAR" and is not referred to as a "Dress". My guess would be that it's older than that according to this (according to that chart, it would have been made between 1976 and 1978)

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/root-bru-guide.html

Also, the stamp on the box says "Dunhill collection, for Saab".

Anywho, I come to you Gents (and Ladies) for any information on this pipe. I couldn't really find much other than that guide for dating and curiosity is killing me for any more info on it.

It looks like it just needs to have the stem cleaned up, but I don't think I did too bad paying below $200 for my first Dunhill (Unsmoked). Anywho, here's the only pic I have of the pipe.

[​IMG]

Any info you may have on it would be highly appreciated!

2. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on the very nice pipe! Well done! Beale.

3. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Thanks, Beale! It was one of those ebay bids that I threw in, and totally didn't expect to win. It's hardly ever that the first bid wins, especially on something with a name attached to it like Dunhill.

4. DocB

DocB Active Member

That's a handsome looking pipe!! Congrats. I wish I could help with your request, but either way you scored...

5. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Here's some info from the seller after an email asking for pictures of the stamps and such on the pipe

Some background would be that my husband used to work for SAAB Cars USA in marketing/merchandising for the US Market and they develped a product line for SAAB by Dunhill a long time ago and this pipe and several lighters/ watches were sent that we still have from developing the line. There looks like some discoloration on the stem but no teeth marks that I can see and the stamp is clear and the bowl clean. It has been in its bag and box for about 15 years in a drawer.

She also sent a second email, and told me that the timeline of 1976-1978 sounds about right :D

6. DocB

DocB Active Member

That's awesome... I'm sure you will be more than pleased with it!!

7. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I have a sick mind, in that, as soon as she mentioned there were other items that were also made at the same time (mainly the lighter) I thought that I should try to find the related items... I'm sure this will be one of the gems in my collection for some time!

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

A pipe with a story... Nice!

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Nice pipe! Nice score! Congratz! As for the stem, I'd let Obsidian have a "go" with it, a good soaking and then some. Some of the discoloration/oxidation won't completely go away but it'll probably bring her back to where you don't care.......... you really shouldn't now anyway but I too don't like smoking yellow stems unless they're cobs! :D

Ed
    Puff

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Congratulations!!!! Well done!!! Not only have you scored a really nice Dunnie but also one with a special history!
    I don't think that there are many SAAB destined Dunhills about... a bit like a limited edition.... so I wouldn't worry about the date....
    And to top it all off you,ve got the bag, certificate, box... GREAT:appl:

11. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Thanks! I'm almost tempted to keep it un-smoked, at least while I get the hand of things and feel 100% confident in breaking in a pipe properly...

12. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

scooooooooooore

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Heckuva nice pipe, Rex! Like the others, I don't have any special knowledge of Dunhill pedigrees, but it looks like you got a good picture of this pipe's history. I guess you should try to see how much it may be worth in unsmoked condition before you light 'er up, but Dunnies hold their value pretty well no matter what. In my uneducated opinion, I'd say you got a bargain at under two bills.

Herb

1stGenRex likes this.
  14. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Nice pipe. I think the price is fair to better than fair. Used ones from then go for $175 and up.

15. ichabod

ichabod Member

I can't help with any info but that is a great looking pipe!

16. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Wait, so "Dunhill BlackBriar" is all that's stamped on it? Other than the number to the left?

17. McBarison

McBarison Member

It seems to be the trend to say this, but I'll say it anyway:

I don't know anything about the pipe's history, but it looks like you got yourself a great pipe! Congrats!

18. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I asked the seller if she could take photos of the markings, but it was already boxed up and ready to go, and she was at work when she got the message, so it was a no-go on the photos.

Thanks! I guess I got really lucky!

19. HauntedMyst

HauntedMyst Member

You made an awesome score! Black Briars are hard enough to come by without it being a limited edition.

1stGenRex likes this.
  20. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Great find!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.