I'd like a big ol' bottle of Lakeland Essence for my coffee

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I keep catching myself inhaling pipe smoke, no matter how I try to not do it. I've developed an occasional cough and walking uphill is starting to bring back memories of my cigarette days. I need lots and lots of nicotine, so inhaling keeps sneaking back.

I can smoke 1792 and not inhale and be satisfied. Thus, I have started casting about for some other Evil Bad Ungodly Concoctions that might work as well. Last week, I got some G&H items in the mail-- Dark Flake Scented, Kendal Flake, and Dark Bird's Eye. The Bird's Eye is too much like Drum to keep me from inhaling, but the Flakes are small miracles.

I've always been something of a snobby tobacco purist-- no aromatics or flavorings for me, oh no, my tastes are refined. I was wrong. There's something really haunting and addictive about the bizarre flowery perfuminess of these tobaccos, and I regret that it's taken so long to find out about them. Tinned 1792 was my introduction to it, but the bulk I have on hand is missing the perfume and I wish it were still there. (Still a good smoke, though.)

Dark Flake is reputed to have licorice and maple in it, but I'll be damned if I can find it. It has the same sort of Tonquin floweriness that tinned 1792 does, only more of it-- lavenderishness seems predominant. It's like smoking a sachet until about half-way through the bowl, at which time it turns into a really vile cigar (makes me think of Parodi). Delightful!

Kendal Flake is another matter entirely. Smoke it and you've fallen face down in a florist's display case. The flavors don't meld together into something vaguely flowery, they stay quite distinct. One moment, there are roses. Another, heliotrope. Another, who knows what the hell that is. The experience keeps flipping from flavor to flavor and smile to smile. This one can be snorked, though I wouldn't recommend that with the Dark Flake.

Rhapsody Baccy likes this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Except for the inhaling part, your post fits me to a T!

I recently discovered a taste for G&H Lakelands that I've never had before. Kendal Flake is a new favorite. Give Brown Flake Aromatic a try (and the unscented as well). I'm smoking BFA right now and enjoying its tonquin/flowery flavor and scent very much.

With respect to the G&H flakes, Rum Flake is the only one I've smoked recently that I don't care for. Louisiana Flake is also good if you like a light amount of perique. I usually prefer my perique in heavy doeses but it works wonderfully here. G&H is really a fantastic blender.

:thumbsu: for a great post!

3. Hothog

Hothog Member

Inevitably you will inhale a drag or 2, as long as its just that. On the inhale count you will be doing a lot less than cigs.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It's a real shame you guys can't get hold of Condor (Long Cut) more easily! - I reckon you'd all be happy campers!, but in the nic stakes - I've always found the brown ropes and plugs from our celebrated Lake District to fill the bill!...these and the 'big C' have kept this old bird happy for fifty years LOL!
    Cheers OT

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Bosun Cut Plug, scented, is strong...and has the whole tart's boudoir thing going on. No need to inhale.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Rub it in. Yeah, it would be nice to have it...

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

And here I thought the very next words were going to be "so I'm going to do something about that."

;)

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

As Mick Jagger sang -"you can't always get what you want.....but you just might find...you get what you need" :whistle: :eek:hyeah:

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

This Ole Reformed cigarette smoker who can still describe the look and feel of a Senior Service packet in loving detail though he hasn't had one since 1974 can sympathise...Ted is right, the easy answer is Condor, w2hich you can't get, but in America you can still get Revor I believe - even I can't inhale it more than once and that's when it's freshly lit.

I believe ther is only one answer to kicking the inhaling thing and that is a strong tobacco you can live with day in day out, which is why I keep coming back to Condor and Carey's No 7 Dark Flake 9 which is Revor in flake form - strong tobacco gives you the kick but in a different way,

Good luck!

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.