1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ideal Flake Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey all,
    I was just wondering what everyone thought makes the ideal flake pipe for any method (fold and stuff, rub out, etc.) I'm looking to dedicate one of my pipes to just flakes I guess.

Thanks again!
    Jomo

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

My best flake pipe (and I actually have two) were made by a person right here on this forum... Sasquatch (BST pipes).

After that, I'd say my next best pipe is probably a Cob, then either a Larsen or Dunhill.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Given the size of most flakes, and the delicate nature of certain flakes - you get a lot of virginias as flakes, a smaller pipe will do a couple of things. First, it won't muddle up flavors as much as a big pipe will do - you don't get that concentrated bottom-of-the-bowl action. Second, a small pipe will take a flake nicely, with no rubbing - just tuck it in.

So I'll throw out a measurement here of something like 1 1/4" deep and 3/4" across as being a good size.

WillH likes this.
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

To me, if the chamber is taller than it is wide, most likely, it'll work well...(at least to my expectations). Ideally then, I guess I would say I like taller, narrowish bowls. YMMV.

WillH likes this.
  5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

What Sas and Yin said....long narrow bowl. I also prefer a slightly tapered bowl, seems to focus the flavors more. As always, YMMV.

6. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

So does this pipe need to be broken in or can I break it in with flakes?

7. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

I don't break a pipe in with any thing other than the tobacco that is smoked in it. I don't do half bowls or any of that business. I smoke a full bowl like I normally would. No problems here, just stuff a flake and smoke it.

8. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Okay sounds like a plan then! Gonna fire up a bowl of irish flake and go to town :)

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Hey Jomodeere... how did this go? Did you use a tall narrow bowl?

10. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Smaller bowls are nice because you can smoke just a single flake and still get the full flake effect. My best single-flake pipes are both Kings Cross Featherweights in the billiard style.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Every single pipe I own is an ideal flake pipe. They've all smoked flakes and they all perform admirably. I own mostly oversize pipes in dublin, billiard shapes. Perfect!

12. WillH

WillH Active Member

As Sas, Yang, Dan, T-bear and others said: Something a medium size, tall, tapered to the bottom! Sas's measurement is on the money!:)
    Here's one of mine!
    [​IMG]
    Stuff some flake in that ole' gal and it's "all good"! Nearly all my pipes have the same inside bowl dimensions. Great for flakes IMO!

Will

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I prefer a conical chamber which takes a flake
    cannonball beautifully. I'd go with a slightly
    taller bowl height than Sas suggested only
    because I can get a whole flake of OGS in it.

WillH likes this.
  14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I use any of my pipes for flakes (or mixtures) - just alter the way I prepare them a little for different bowl diameters and contours. In a similar way....I keep hearing about Carter Hall in a cob - but just don't get it!
    OT

15. Albert

Albert Active Member

Its a New World thang! lol :toast:

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

ah! well I'm an old fart!....I'll even smoke two or three consecutive bowls in the same pipe - without giving it a fortnights rest in between 'em! :byg:

albot9 likes this.
  17. BradNTX

I'm not fond of Carter Hall on it's own, but think it adds a lot of great flavor to other Burley flake. If I hadn't tried a Burley parfait, I probably wouldn't have bought it again.

18. Albert

Albert Active Member

Half Irish Flake, Half Carter Hall = A magic morning commute!

19. BradNTX

Mine have been 1 ABF flake, folded & stuffed, then topped w/CH (about 1/4 total). I have done 1/3 and 1/2 with good results too. Also tried with Wessex Burley Slice and C&D Burley #2. All good!

20. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've found that I prefer flake in a cob. Speaking of which, a kindly soul here at PSF gave me an almost entire tin of Erinmore, and I'm gonna smoke some in a cob right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.