1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal Flake Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cogitans Fumus

Cogitans Fumus Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Im really enjoying McClelland's Virginia/Perique bulk flake through my Missouri Pride cob... rubbed out and loaded with the Frank method...burns slow and cool for a nice 40 minute smoke... In fact the more I smoke the more I like my corncob's.
  2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Scary Cow Moderator Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    This shows how the original question comes with a catch.

All my pipes have smoked flakes at one time or another and it all smoked good, same as d'err. Sometimes I prefer flake in a big bowl but I lean to 30-45 minute smokes in smaller pipes regardless of what I smoke. Since I mostly smoke flake tobacco and since I mostly prefer smoking smaller pipes it stands to reason (merely by the odds) that I favor flake in a smaller pipe.

Yesterday appeared a Brakner 1002 in my mailbox, photo and dimensions here. The pipe is my profile for a flake smoking. Length at 5 1/2" is fine with me and if the same bowl was on a 6 1/2" pipe that'd be OK too. The thinner walls that characterize my choice in flake pipes is OK. Thin-walled pipes compel me to manage my baser instincts and smoke slower (thus cooler), getting the best from the tobacco. That, or blister my fingers. I guarantee a thin-walled smooth-finished pipe will help you improve your technique fast or you'll burn it up along with your fingerprints.

albot9 likes this.
  3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    A lot of smokers prefer smaller pipes for flakes. I guess this is so a single flake will fill it. Most flakes are single tobacco or two tobacco blends, so a larger bowl is not needed to allow a more complex blend to develop. I smoke flakes in grp 4-6 size pipes and enjoy them.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Last night my wife made an interesting observation about me and pipe smoking: I hold my pipe differently when I'm smoking flake. She noticed that every time that I smoke flake, I hold the pipe with my palm over the top of the bowl - regardless of the pipe that I'm smoking at the time (generally a cob, but also a Pete Sherlock Holmes Original or a no-name Italian made Canadian-style pipe). She also observed that the only other time I do this is when I smoke either of my Author-style pipes, my Peterson Aran XL02 or a smaller rusticated no-name Italian-made pipe, and this is regardless of what I smoke in them. (Word to the wise - do not underestimate the things that your significant other will notice about you).

This morning I had an urge to smoke some flake as my second morning bowl. I loaded up the Pete Aran with some Erinmore and fired it up. It is a great pairing, and it felt very natural. I had dedicated the Canadian or Pete Sherlock Holmes Original to flake, but they just got transferred. I'm gonna have to experiment with the Italian Author later today.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.