1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

IDing a Mark on Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Brad Cogar, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Cogar

Brad Cogar Member

Hey all, I just found this pretty cool pipe hidden at work. There appears to be a maker's mark on it that looks sort of like a "Y". I haven't been able to track down what it means. Maybe someone can ID this thing for me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

That is a cool freehand. Any other markings on it? If not, my best guess is that it was carved by an individual hobbyist, not by a major manufacturer. Got any more pics? :)

3. Brad Cogar

Brad Cogar Member

That is the only mark I could find. I've definitely got more pics. Check it out:
    [​IMG]

Angled top view -- You can see there are bumps around the bowl and on top of the hand piece.
    [​IMG]
    This guy is 6 1/2'' long and has a nice weight to it (not heavy or anything, but solid, like you have got a nice pipe in hand)

Here is a direct top view:
    [​IMG]

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That is one helluva nice pipe! You just found it hidden at your workplace?

5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

That is a nice pipe! You found it hidden at work!?!?

6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

What business do I have to get into in order to find pipes hidden around my office? I can only think of "tobacconist" and "aide to the mayor of Washington, DC."

Hawkwood and Preacher1611 like this.
  7. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

Thats a big makers mark if it is one.
    Did anybody think that the Y might be a flaw cover up ?

8. Brad Cogar

Brad Cogar Member

Yeah, what can I say -- I was moving a shelf around and there it was, sitting on the edge of the desk. I immediately grabbed it up. This actually isn't too uncommon in my line of work. I write descriptions for a consignment shop. We always have all sorts of interesting, weird, and cool things lying around. I am particularly fond of pipes -- I knew nothing about them until we got in a large lot of unsmoked meerschaums a while back. I've been a pipe smoker since. When I saw this one, it made my day. We are going to probably have to sell it though.

9. Brad Cogar

Brad Cogar Member

Beefcube -- you know, it could be a flaw that was made into that shape, but I don't know how to tell.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Randy Wiley used to do that with his lower-graded pipes, but he always signed his.

I'm gonna go with Kiowa on this. Probably a hobbyists work... which doesn't make it a bad pipe. I have and have had several that were made by a hobbyist that were very nice pipes, and this looks to be another. :th1:

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

To you? :)

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

It's the mark of the devil, so you better send it to me since I am already going to He!!.
    JK!
    No idea, but it looks like an awesome pipe.
    Luck!
    Enjoy!

Spillproof likes this.
  13. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.