1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

IDing a Mark on Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Brad Cogar, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Cogar

Brad Cogar Member

Hey all, I just found this pretty cool pipe hidden at work. There appears to be a maker's mark on it that looks sort of like a "Y". I haven't been able to track down what it means. Maybe someone can ID this thing for me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

That is a cool freehand. Any other markings on it? If not, my best guess is that it was carved by an individual hobbyist, not by a major manufacturer. Got any more pics? :)

3. Brad Cogar

Brad Cogar Member

That is the only mark I could find. I've definitely got more pics. Check it out:
    [​IMG]

Angled top view -- You can see there are bumps around the bowl and on top of the hand piece.
    [​IMG]
    This guy is 6 1/2'' long and has a nice weight to it (not heavy or anything, but solid, like you have got a nice pipe in hand)

Here is a direct top view:
    [​IMG]

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That is one helluva nice pipe! You just found it hidden at your workplace?

5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

That is a nice pipe! You found it hidden at work!?!?

6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

What business do I have to get into in order to find pipes hidden around my office? I can only think of "tobacconist" and "aide to the mayor of Washington, DC."

Hawkwood and Preacher1611 like this.
  7. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

Thats a big makers mark if it is one.
    Did anybody think that the Y might be a flaw cover up ?

8. Brad Cogar

Brad Cogar Member

Yeah, what can I say -- I was moving a shelf around and there it was, sitting on the edge of the desk. I immediately grabbed it up. This actually isn't too uncommon in my line of work. I write descriptions for a consignment shop. We always have all sorts of interesting, weird, and cool things lying around. I am particularly fond of pipes -- I knew nothing about them until we got in a large lot of unsmoked meerschaums a while back. I've been a pipe smoker since. When I saw this one, it made my day. We are going to probably have to sell it though.

9. Brad Cogar

Brad Cogar Member

Beefcube -- you know, it could be a flaw that was made into that shape, but I don't know how to tell.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Randy Wiley used to do that with his lower-graded pipes, but he always signed his.

I'm gonna go with Kiowa on this. Probably a hobbyists work... which doesn't make it a bad pipe. I have and have had several that were made by a hobbyist that were very nice pipes, and this looks to be another. :th1:

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

To you? :)

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

It's the mark of the devil, so you better send it to me since I am already going to He!!.
    JK!
    No idea, but it looks like an awesome pipe.
    Luck!
    Enjoy!

Spillproof likes this.
  13. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.