1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

If you bought a collectible estate,would you want it refurbished?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by roberted5, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roberted5

roberted5 Member

I've bought a few estates one was refurbished and was described to be lightly smoked,the other cake was left in it and it may have been hit with wax.The refurbished pipe was basically destroyed,turned a small billiard into a pot type bowl.

I'm going to be thinning my collection on ebay.I like my estates with a thin layer of cake with no ghosts and if there are teethmarks just leave them alone so I can judge the pipe before blemishes or use spots are hidden.

What would you prefer?

2. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Straight up--straight forward honesty.
    For instance--if a pipe needs a good cleaning--thats fine.
    If a pipe has been over reamed--just state that.
    If a pipe has tooth marks--light, moderate, heavy--state that
    If a pipe has issues such as replacement stem,, cracked stem, cracked bowl or other damage--state that.
    I ALWAYS look at estate pipes on Ebay--I ALWAYS am VERY cautious, and concerned as to whether one is actually getting a decent pipe as expected or will one end up with a disaster--Pipe that perhaps was not drilled right--poor internals and over all bad performer--previous owner was simply trying to unload it and figures--"Hey--what they don't know won't hurt"--"I just want to unload this and move forward".
    Granted folks may not always buy the pipes--HOWEVER--Once a person takes possesion of the pipe--even if the seller allows it to be sent back--well if one feels as though the seller wasn't really forth coming to begin with--well good luck selling him another estate. Also bad things, information and reputations spread like wild fire. Unfortunately good things, good information and good reputations---well that requires much more time to establish and maintain.
    That old saying---"It takes what seems like an eternity to establish trust--It takes a meerly seconds or minutes to destroy trust and many times it cannot and will not be ever re-established." Thats sorta--kinda my saying and practice as I deal with the public everyday. I really do try to live by that rule.

3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

And ALWAYS post pipes on here before you try to sell them on other sites;)
    The seller account fee's here will be what you pay in closing costs for one item on ebay, which are very high now.
    Much easier and cheaper to offer things for sale here first, after you set up your seller account

4. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

I prefer a pipe that hasn't been worked on. I know how to do that stuff. For me, good pictures are most important. I know what I can and can't do. The picture tells me if the pipe is worthwhile. When I sell a pipe, I try and give the important specifics in a precise way. With lots of good pictures. On eBay, posting good quality pictures is free now.
    But if you are selling, I think a clean (the bowl at least wiped and with a clean shank and stem) pipe will get you a better return than one that isn't.

Basil Meadows and bubbagump like this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

My $.02...clean them (bowl and stem) and remove any excess cake. However, I would leave enough cake so that you don't have to worry about possibly over-reaming the inside of the bowl. I can't imagine that it pays off to put a lot of time and effort into the average estate pipe. Most of my estate pipes looked "previously loved" before I bought them. That was part of the draw, to me.

Johnny Dingo and Thuber88 like this.
  6. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Yes, the ads are free, the closing costs are bad, and they double dip on fee's because they own paypal :eek:

7. bosun

bosun Active Member

I prefer good pics combined with a non-shiny pipe. As an example for Kaywoodies, I'm interested in wether it says "imported briar" or "aged bruyere" - quite the difference when trying to judge the age of a pipe! Too shiny or blurry can't read it! Unless it is something that I think I would have an interest in I just move on and don't ask questions. I assume the pipe will need a couple of hours to get it clean..wiping some floor wax on it so it is shiny just screws things up!

8. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I much prefer un-messed with pipes presented with good, clear pictures. I hate it when they don't show the bit, especially.

Some cleaning can make more work in the long run--just hitting the stem with a buffer will make it look nice for sale, but now they've embedded the oxidation into the stem making it much more difficult to totally removed when it starts to show again.

Estate pipes are always a crapshoot, but I've been pleased more often than disappointed.

9. roberted5

roberted5 Member

Great ideas.I'm out of practice on buffing,I have no lathe, and some just need ghost removal so I'll send all my pipes to floyds,especially my highly collectibles.My local pipe shop sells pipes done by floyds and they smoke like a new pipe,no ghosts,and very thin layer of cake done by lathe.In fact some smoke better than when new.
    I was thinking of presenting 7-10 at a time.What number is too many at once?I got close to 100 pipes and I do enjoy them but I'm starting to get headaches and nausea after some of my old time favorite blends.I used to love latakia but either it isn't what it used to be or my chemistry has changed,not uncommon I've heard once you reach your 50's??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.