1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

If You're Looking For African Meers

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Falconeer, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I was looking through UK suppliers of Savinelli Pipes when I happened across J N Barber Ltd, Tobacco Merchants, Otley, Yorkshire, England. This is the company my pal Harry deals with for all his tobacco supplies.

Some of you were recently asking about African Meers – Barbers have obtained a consignment which has lain in a ware house for some years. The pipes look nice. Prices are:

Reject Meers - $61.12; First Class Condition - $137.62

The reject Meers are overcarved where blemishes exist.

I have no commercial connection with this company or any other. I can't work out how to post a link, but this is what appears in the address bar on my machine -

Http://www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Jambo_African_Meershaum.html

Best to all,

Gerry

2. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

3. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Hi,

A case of great minds thinking alike? Perhaps not, but I was also
    checking out Savinelli pipes on the J.N.Barber website when I
    learned about the discovery of the JAMBO meers. The first word
    to enter my mind, on seeing the pipes, was "Amboseli". I doubt,
    however, that the pipes are Amboseli Meerschaums. Well worth
    investigating nevertheless.

Incidentally, it would be interesting to know which tobaccos your
    friend, Harry, smokes in his meers.

Cheers,
    Gremlin.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I have dealt with them and it was great. Angela has to be one of the nicest and prettiest women in all pipedom!

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

very tempting..

[​IMG]

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

AFrican meer is excellent. It's kind of heavy, but it's very tough and smoke just incredible. Anyone humming and hawing should hum no more.

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

see.. i really want a british brand though. i know they're identical pipes made in the exact same factory out of the same meer probably by the same guy, but i REALLY want peterson, comoy, or manx/manxman/man pipes. i know its stupid and i won't find them outside of UK boot sales or maybe ebay, i just really want them.

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

lmfao just saw one on ebay... buy it now.

BOUGHT THAT SUCKER!!!

wifey is DEFINITELY going to kill me. if she finds out. which she won't because sasquatch is a damn good man.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

In all honestly after a year's experimentation I really do prefer African meers to Turkish - yes they are a little heavier, but I feel they are more solidly built with better connectors and are ideal to smoke in a Northumberland winter. To me there is a subtle difference in the smoking qualities between African and Turkish meers and I feel that the Africans are ideally suited to smoking British style tobaccos as cobs are to smoking American tobaccos - but that's purely a personal opinion.

Harry ( God help him! ) has three African Peterson System Meers his wife ( he's a widower now so his pipes have special memories for him ) bought him in 1982 for Christmas, birthday and Anniversary presents. He will not be persuaded to smoke anything else but Borkum Riff in them even though he has to order it from his native Yorkshire - talk about the Scots being "thrawn!"

He smokes it quite agressively and does not ream out his meers until he has to - so they have quite a thick crust most of the time. They are all smooth finish pipes, albeit with "dings" - two have gone a beautiful dark mahogany clour and the one he swears he was smoking when she died has gone black.

Best to all - by the way I am tempted with those meers - but the proirity is to finish off my Falcon collection(s) with the three large bowls Hyperbole, Istanbul and Snifter first!

Gerry

10. Burner

Burner Member

I was all set to buy one of the rejects and clicked on Buy to find someone had bought it in the 5 minutes I was umming and arring. Taught me a lesson!

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Really sorry to hear you were thwarted Burner.

I well remeber back in the late 1970s, House of Bewlay in Edinburgh had a display in their window of "St.Bruno" special issue pipes. At that time St.Bruno's crporate colours were still the original white and dark maroon. The special was a half bent Zulu with a rustic effect designed to look like horn but in dark maroon over white and the pipe had a fawn lucite stem. It looked really classy but it cost the same as a Peterson and it was a week til payday ( we didn't have plastic in those days! )

As it seemed to be a lot to spend on a pipe to me then, I decided against purchasing it when I did get paid, but it wouldn't go out of my mind so after another week I went in to get one - and of course they were sold out. The lady phoned round the other branches for me but to no avail. I have never seen that pipe come up for sale second hand since. As I still remember it in all its detail, you can imagine how much I wanted it then, and in fact still do!

It's called frustration and it really isn't easy to deal with, so I empathise.

I believe the Jambos were made in Kenya after the colonial days ended, but the factory closed when supplies of meer were exhausted by the way; I think the same factory also made "Kiku" pipes ( trade mark an Elephant ) but in the main they were meerschaum lined and made out of African hardwood,

Best to all

Gerry

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

the guy i bought mine from on ebay actually has two others i just didn't like as much up right now. seller name is mr. can

he has some towering laxley/manxman comoy pot and a peterson/laxley, also a pot. one is the same color, the other is a sort of olive drab/grayish hue.

either way, they're listed as pristine and mine was exactly as advertised and come with all the goodies (box, bag, brochure). think they're both buy it now around 70 bucks. he also told me he is sitting on a stash of them at the moment. i may buy another from him if he lists them.

13. Burner

Burner Member

After the disappointment of the Jambo. I did manage to get this from Ebay. Like a little time capsule it looks brand new may have been smoked but showed no obvious signs of it. Bit of a dainty little number and I've a feeling that it might fall apart as it's got a tiny surface crack about 6mm long but I've filled it with epoxy and I've been smoking it anyway and it sin't bad at all.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

They always say meer can't be repaired, but I have never been able to see why not - OK it may affect the pipe cosmetically but for example why shouldn't epoxy and dust do the job - what else is pressed meer?

Good luck with it and do ley us know how it holds up.

I was always told the Elephant Trade mark was Kiku's from Tanzania ( not Kenya as I erroneously put a few posts back )- I see yours is labelled Sportsman - does it say anything else on the box?

Best meantime

Gerry

15. Burner

Burner Member

Hello Gerry

It says Amboseli and has Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation limited on the box. No date though I wonder how old it is?

Cheers
    Neil

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Very interesting!

We started giving back the African part of the Empire from 1957 onwards, kicking off with the Gold Coast now Ghana. Tanzania was originally German East Africa until the end of the first World War, when we inherited it and it became Tanganyka; I'll need to check the exact date but Tanzania came into being in the mid 60s I think.

At the end of the Colonial days the local meer factory staggered on for a few years but workmanship declined and quality control standards dipped. I think the brand name "Kiku" came into being then with the elephant trademark being taken over from white ownership. Kiku means simply "pipe" in Swahili.

So your pipe sounds like it's pretty old!

Best meantime

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.