I'm a rookie.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mountain, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain

Mountain Member

So this is my first post here and i am very new to pipe smoking. Been doing it for less than a week actually.i bought a dr. grabow lark pipe that came with some kind of generic tobacco that doesnt taste too nice.i was hoping for some suggestions on what kind of tobaccos would be good for a rookie and reputable websites to get them from (i dont live near a tobacconist). so far ive only used pipesandcigars.com. any help is welcome, for like i said im very new. thanks all!

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I always recommend that new pipers try a few benchmark sort of blends, things the smoke well and taste good and aren't hugely spicey or strong etc.
    (Navy Flake from Mac Baren - this is so utterly "pipey" it's just ... classic. (Substitute if needed: Orlik Golden Sliced)

Frog Morton from McClelland - an introduction to the silky/campfire taste of latakia. (Substitute if needed: Benjamin Hartwell Chesdin)

A friendly Virginia/Perique mixture is probably in order too - maybe some Scottish Cake by Robert McConnell. (Substitute: Escudo by AC Peterson or Tudor Castle by McClelland)

Try some or all, and report back. :thumbsu:

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wellcome mountain ! I'd ask what you smoked that you didnt like so I could give advice .[ from here on I'll just ramble
    ] I assume it was a ' value ' blend ? More than likely a burley aromatic ... some of those can suck . If I'm on target ..I'd ask if the blend in the "value " bag at least smelled good ... like vanilla or choc and if so ...did you like it .. if yes than I'd say go buy some Prince Albert Soft Vanilla . It wont bite you [ at all ] and it burns dry in a good pipe ... tastes real nice and dosent cost and arm and a leg as well. Maybe go buy a corncob {like 6 bucks ] ... cause theyre always good . I love the lark . But it's pretty small bowled and if it has a varnish on it... well thats another topic of debate . I buy most everything I smoke here ... http://wvsmokeshop.com/pipetobacco.aspx ... as they are good people and best yet you can buy 1 oz samples for like 1.79 . If the aromatic is what you are wanting then this blend is just great aslo ! ..http://wvsmokeshop.com/centuryz-50blackcordial15oztrial.aspx ... 1.79 for an oz ... not bad to try lots of stuff :) They have MacBaren and peter stoke tobaccos in bulk starting at 1oz up to 5 lbs I guess.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Welcome Mountain! I bet with all of the suggestions, you now regret asking! ;)

Soooo many terriffic blends out there for you to try and see what lights your fire.........it never ends and is always an adventure!

Once you get 10 posts and 7-days from your "join date" you'll be eligible to engage on the "FNG-FOG" trade and that'll turn your head if you are having a hard time deciding what to try. Bottom line, enjoy your pipe & toby!

An easily obtainable smoke that is quite good is Carter Hall, or Sir Walter Raleigh, or Prince Albert. These can be found at Walgreens, Rite-Aid, and the like. If you are up for online sales.........the sky is the limit!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

5. owias12

owias12 Member

Welcome Mountain!! You're in for a real treat, as there are so many wonderful blends to try. The fun is just beginning. My only advice at this point is to have patience. Don't get frustrated and let every bowl be a learning experiment. Try as many blends as you can and experience the flavors and characteristics of the many different types of toby.

I've only been a member for a short period of time, but have found this place to be a great resource. I would suggest hanging out in the chat room when you can. You can learn a good deal from the chats.

Enjoy your time here and be well.

bp

6. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Welcome to PSF you will like it here, theres alot of good people here. If you need a good online place try smokingpipes.com, great place awesome selection, and very fast shiping. Now if you have any little Tobacco Mart's around you like the little cig's and beer type places, you may be able to find a blend i smoke daily called Tobacco Galleria Blue Note, alot of people hate on this blend but i will swear by this stuff.

7. cellophane

cellophane Member

I'd lean in this direction. Captain Black Royal isn't bad either IMO. The navy flake mentioned earlier is really good, although packing a flake takes practice (i fail at it) but makes a nice smoke.

I would also second what Ruffino said about the cob. For $6 or so you can't go wrong. I smoke my cob more than all my other pipes combined. http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/ Dave has a good selection and the forever stems he sells are 500% awesome (and the shipping is crazy fast.)

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

It's great to have you aboard, Mountain! Aren't Grabow Larks great? I'm smoking one now and I can tell you they're great filled with Carter Hall or Prince Albert! A year ago, I was where you are now and my only regret is not trying these easy-to-smoke OTCs sooner!

I hope you enjoy PSF! There's a lot of great, knowlegeable folks here!

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Welcome aboard, Mountain!

Is this your first foray into tobacco, or are you jumping ship from cigars, snuff, et al? All the above suggestions by the guys are spot on, but if you know a bit about what you're looking for...taste, smells that make the ladies swoon, a monstrous nicotine hit, yada yada, well, maybe there is a more pointed direction for us to help you. If not, just pick and choose from the above. Happy puffing!

10. Mountain

Mountain Member

Wow, thanks for all the ideas. after seeing how many different kinds are out there making a decision on what to try began feeling like a game of roulette. i'll definitely be giving some of these a shot!

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If you haven't yet, and you really want your head to spin like Linda Blair's, check out www.tobaccoreviews.com. There is over 4000 individual blends listed...the majority of them still available. In this hobby, choices are a good thing!

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

LOL ! Jeez Ying :roflmao: ... Ying is on the money .... theres a ton out there ! Hey Mountain .... so what was the blend you didnt like ?

13. Mountain

Mountain Member

I got two types of tobacco that came with my pipe. Middleton Apple and Borkum & Riff original ultra light. the middleton isnt too bad but the B&K seems very bland.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome aboard!

Sincerely hope you enjoy your time with us and that you enjoy your voyage of discovery down Tobacco Road!

You are obviously a Gentleman - decribing Borkum Riff as "bland" shows you have a charitable nature!

Happy smoking and welcome again!

Gerry

15. uncleburl

uncleburl Member

While I've dabbled with pipes for many years on and off, I've enjoyed them regularly in the last year. I have 3 Dr. G's myself that I've de-lacqured and waxed that I love. I would also second those who have encouraged you to try a MM Cob and some Prince Albert, Carter Hall, or even Half and Half. For a long time I though these OTC's would be yuck or somehow beneath my scholarly pipe pursuits so I stayed away from them. Boy was I surprised at how good they can be. Take it slow and enjoy them for what they are. There's a reason they have been around for so long. All are not great, but I have found many are maliciously maligned by newbies who don't know how to pack or smoke slow, or tobacco snobs who must have more money than me. :0)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.