I'm an old fart

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by buistd, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

According to the rules of the forum I am now an old fart. I bought my first pipe on the 27th December two years ago. (It was actually my second pipe as I had one for a few weeks when I was 17 or 18.) It was a full bent Parker that I had for about three months, but one day it went missing. I'm fairly sure I left it on the roof of my car after a visit to the B&M. The following day I went straight back to the B&M and bought another full bent Parker, which went to the pipe graveyard after I ruined it trying to force it to get a cake in it - don't ask...

Since then I have bought a few more Parkers, several Blakemars and a hat full of other pipes. I have about 9lbs of tobacco in my cellar. I have recently started making pipes. I have joined the Pipe Club of London, and won their flake slow smoking competition in September this year. I have met up with Shadow once, and become good friends with Bluepipe. I have traded with a dozen or so US members, and am particularly indebted to Southbound for his incredible generosity and will to go beyond the call of duty. I have provided chocolate bars to sustain Johnny's wife in the latter stages of pregnancy and early days of motherhood.

And it's all your fault.

Every one of you.

If I hadn't stumbled upon this forum I would probably have a load more money in my bank account. My friends probably wouldn't think I was so strange (in a good way). My wife definitely wouldn't think I was so strange (in a bad way). I probably would have tried Clan. I probably wouldn't have had that dream last night that I was in the USA buying huge tubs of Carter Hall, or the dream I had a few months ago where I was looking at purple and green cigars in a B&M. But above all, if I hadn't found this forum, I probably wouldn't be a pipe smoker now.

And I am happy to be a pipe smoker.

2. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Hey old fart...

I only been smoking the pipe for a few months and had a few friends call me old fart even before I started smoking.

Congrats on becoming a old fart... May you have long days and pleasant nights enjoying your pipe.

Gunslinger,

PipeSimmo likes this.
  3. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Welcome to Fartdom!

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

You are far too amiable, tolerant and 'easy going' to be a Brit 'old fart' - work on the attitude a little before re-applying :ohyh:
    OT

Old Codger, dwaugh, RTOdhner and 4 others like this.
  5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

And glad, nay... proud, we are to have lead you down this path of ruin! :bing:

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club!

7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I'm not that old... :poke:

8. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I just re-read my original post and from the way I've written it, it may suggest that I met up with Shadow but didn't like him. I should stress that we have tried several times since to meet up but his busy work schedule has prevented it. We have had several phone conversations since our meeting and he's a real gent, with exceptional taste in white trousers and black skirts (or was it the other way round)?

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Drummers. :rolleyes:

10. ted

ted Member

buistd, Go for 47 years.. My farts are dust... ted

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I agree , Ot . This guy needs to work on his sourness
    Buistd , I aint lettin you claim old fart status so easy . You been smokin now for 2 years .. so that counts as , lets see ..... uh , 2 years . Ok , you have 9 lbs of tobacco ! This is a newbie type situation ... old farts didnt store tobacco so much cause it was cheap , available and the government wasnt against us . I agree you should store tobacco in quanity but this dosent make ya an old fart . Having a boat/basket load of pipes is just money spent and dosent count toward " Old Fartness " . I know you say you had a pipe about ten years ago but you've only been at it for two so you cant claim 12 years in . There are guys here older than me ... Jeez , Look at RTO , OT , Kerr and OBD ... those guys are freakin old , ya know . But lets compare my time line and figure where we're at . When I was smokin for two years it was 1981/82 [ see ,old farts cant remeber exact like ] and I was 16 years old ..... There were no PC , no cellphones , no pagers even , no remote controls , tv had 4 channels [ 1 being PBS ] , Regan was president and some jack hole tried to kill Pope John Paul 2 ... heck , the minivan was a year from comming out ... and I was two years in . You dont even want to know what Pipe Tobacco cost back then and you sure as heck dont what a snapshot of the glory of a good B&M of the day !!! Dont misunderstand me , Buistd .... Youre one of the good guys and I enjoy yer posts ... but if it were up to me ... and it aint .... you should be happy being a young buck that aint even 30 yet and can still be trusted !

Cap has spoken [​IMG]

12. kb7get

kb7get Member

Plus he is on the upslide of pipe smoking. Many years of enjoying it for him. After 45 years of it here I wish I had as many years to go enjoying it as he does.

ruffinogold likes this.
  13. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Who's Regan, and what's a minivan...

ruffinogold likes this.
  14. ruffinogold

lol

Oops ... Reagan [ old guys cant spell sometimes ]

15. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I just codger-scooped. Does that help? (That's not rhyming slang by the way).

ruffinogold likes this.
  16. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Funnily enough my "who's Regan" comment wasn't picking at your spelling, but merely designed to show my youthfulness. For the record, I do know who he is...

ruffinogold likes this.
  17. buistd

buistd Sales Account

But on a serious note - what's a minivan?

18. ruffinogold

I know where you were comming from .... it come with oldfartness :old:

19. ruffinogold

20. buistd

buistd Sales Account

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.