I'm confused

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by OrganizdMadman, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have a pouch of Amphora that anyone who smells me smoking it comments that they remember the smell from their childhood.

2. furious

furious Junque collector

SWRA and H&H Classic Burley Kake have a sweet room note, and P&W No. 191 is the best for my sweet tooth!

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

I'll second that!:)
    You could try and smoke your tobacco in a room, then leave the room for a while and come back in... this will give you an idea about the roomnote.
    Oh: Welcome to the forum, by the way!:bing:

4. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Thanks.
    I wonder...could the "mouthfuls of campfire smoke" taste I experienced starting out be due to the fact there was no cake left in the bowl after the initial cleaning?

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I dont think so. Cake builds up over time. If it was the rreason, then everybody with a new pipe would get the campfire. Maybe its the tobacco, are you smoking too fast? THat was always my problem. Once I slowed down to that "sip" rate, a lot of tobys that used to bite me settled down.
    What were you smoking?

IrishRover likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Personally, I was disappointed with MacB Vanilla Flake so you're not alone on that one.

Odds are that the old-timers you recall were smoking one of the Captain Black blends (Gold, White, or Blue pouch), one of the Sail blends (Green, Yellow, or White pouch), Argosy, Skandinavik, Prince Ablert Soft Vanilla, or Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. (Hell, there is actually a very long list of potential suspects). As many have already posted, pipe tobacco quite often does not taste like it smells in the pouch so don't get discouraged. As far tracking down an elusive tobacco that you remember from years ago, that can be a maddening experience since many blends from 20 years ago are no longer available and memory is a fickle thing. A good part of the enjoyment that comes with pipe smoking comes in trying different blends. Don't get discouraged, just keep exploring. You might find that elusive blend, or you might not but you find another blend that you just love. It might be a high-end luxury blend, or it might be something as "common" as Sir Walter Raleigh. In the end it's all good if you find a blend or two (or more) that you like.

We are the future "old-timers" for upcoming generations of pipe smokers (or for others) who have fond memories of a neighbor, friend's parent, or beloved relative and the wonderful aroma and billows of magnificent smoke emitted from his or her beloved briar, cob, or meer. Find some blend(s) that you like, and become the friendly and comforting pipe memory to those around you.

Old Codger, Ted Vig, Spam and 2 others like this.
  7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

That is such an awesome sentiment!!!:gjob:

8. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

I never thought of it that way....but yes what an awesome sentiment! I guess if I'm gonna be one of the future old timers, I'd better make sure I do the past old timers proud!
    Although I had better luck with the fold 'n stuff method, I'll admit I had one hell of a time getting the rubbed out flakes to light, let alone stay what way, I was puffing like a freight train to keep the embers glowing. I read somewhere they might be too wet, I'm drying some as we speak for another round.

Oddly enough, besides the run of the mill "smoke shops" there seems to be a real shortage of tobacconists in Louisville. Is there a site where I could buy sampler bags of baccy at an ounce or so each?

9. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

The closest things I've come to that "Classic" Pipe aroma is Captain Black White and Smokers Pride Black Cavendish

10. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Ok, much much better...
    I smoked the dried flakes much easier, still with no tongue bite, and this time zero pipe gurgle. I lit up a lot easier and somewhere along the line I smelled/tasted a bit of vanilla, no campfire taste. The pipe however seemed to get a lot hotter this time around.
    I wonder how long is too long to dry out flakes? I'm temped to try a fold & stuff method and leave it in the pipe to dry overnight for a quick smoke in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.