1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm having bad experiences with Peterson tobacco.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ECross, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECross

ECross Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I'm a big fan of Peterson pipes. I like the shapes, the finishes, and just the overall feel. Being of Irish heritage probably doesn't hurt either.

But when it comes to Peterson tobacco, I have not had a good experience yet. To date I have purchased tins of Old Dublin, Connoisseur's Choice, Sweet Killarney, and Irish Oak (at ridiculous local prices of $29.99 Canadian per 50 gram tin*).

*A mix of impulse buys because I "had" to try it and wanting to support the only decent local tobacco shop.

Each of these blends has disappointed me. I don't know if my expectations are too high because of my love for their pipes or maybe these certain blends just aren't for me.

My questions to those of you who have experience with these blends are:

1) Would you recommend putting these in the cellar for a while to age? If so, for how long?
    2) Did you find that a bit of drying out was needed? If so, how much?

Because of my relative inexperience with pipe tobacco, I'm still unsure which blends would do well in the cellar and which would not.

Also, I just received some bulk Stokkebye and Dunhill vanilla aromatics that I'm not extremely keen on by themselves, I wonder if I should take my first step in trying to create a decent blend from my own stash?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    Pete's University Flake, my only favorable Pete tabak experience, needed about 3-4 weeks of rest after the tin was opened before it tasted good to me. Can't think of another tabak that seemed to benefit so much from some quiet time. It got great about the time it was nearly dry.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Well, that's a pretty broad spectrum of tobaccos - Old Dublin being a medium english, Irish Oak a strongish va/per, and Connoisseur's Choice an outright aromatic. They don't share any particular leaf as far as I know - there isn't a "house taste" to Peterson tobaccos as there is to certain other blends (Rattray's, Germain etc).

Let's go at this another way - what tobaccos have you enjoyed more and why?
  4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I've had superb results with Pete's "Sherlock Holmes" (Va-Bur-Oriental-Aro?). Right from the tin! Liked it so much that I included 12 tins on my next TAD-run.

Also had very good experiences with Pete's 2010 Holiday Season too (4 tins included on the same Tad-run). :)

Hope your Pete Toby turns around for you and it just needed some "breathe" time.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff
  5. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Throw them into jars and let them sit around for a while.
    Never throw away good baccy!!! IT'S A SIN!!!!
    As you develop your tastes, you can always go back and revisit them.
    If they still aren't to your liking, they can always be used for trades / gifts.
  6. ECross

ECross Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Well, lately I like the natural sweetness I find in McClelland Beacon and I enjoy the latakia in Frog Morton. Also, I find McClelland Jubilee has a nice mix of sweet virginia and latakia.

A main strong point of those 3 is the consistency, they all burn really well and I know what to expect from the flavour. When I smoke the Peterson blends I find that every bowl is hit or miss, it could very well just be me. My plan is to keep them in my rotation and smoke them enough to be confident in how I feel about them. I'll probably let them sit for a while at some point too.

Which of those would age the best and which would age the worst? I thought I read somewhere that aging aromatics is pointless?
  7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

You know - not everyones tastes are the same and you really have to find what suits you personally. You can be told a tobacco is the greatest on earth but if you don't, really don't, like it then it's not for you. Experiment til you find the ones you personally like and stick with them.

Here's a couple of examples - when I was young a couple of pipemen I respected kept rattling on about really pure tobacco and swore by Cope's Escudo. I was persuaded to try it and it didn't work for me - the taste was of aspirin and it left me with a chronically dry mouth....but because it was supposed to be great I kept trying it again from time to time until the penny dropped that this just wasn't a tobacco for me.

As a hill walker and photographer I greatly admired A. Wainwright, author and broadcaster; it helped when I saw a photo of him and I saw that he also smoked a Falcon. Wainwright only smoked 3 Nuns all his life. So I kept trying this old blend too - only trouble was I found I was allergic to perique.

My own tastes are more along the lines of Petersons aromatics - I love Sweet Killarney, Sunset Breeze and Sherlock Holmes and so stick with them. Despite many people liking Old Dublin it's just not for me - I gave away most of the tin of it I bought.

As I say, you really have to find tobaccos you like, not what others swear are fantastic,

Best as ever

8. raistlinsk

raistlinsk Member

Aug 28, 2010
    I just had a bowl of University Flake last night. I bought it 6 months ago and tried it and I recall it being so-so. I jarred it till last night...it was horrid! It burned the hell out of me no matter how slow I sipped and the smoke in my nose was like snorting lines of cayenne pepper! I'm wondering if another 6 months may make it better. I cannonballed, and fold and stuffed. I'm gonna try one more time rubbing it out before its back in the cellar.
  9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I like Irish oak quite a bit it's the only va/pers i do like so far. It is definitely a slow smoker though. If i smoke it to fast all i taste is ash.
  10. ric03

ric03 Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I've only smoked Luxury Blend and didn't really take to it at first. However, tonight I had a bowl and it was much nicer (it's been sat in a Kilner's Jar for around 3 or 4 weeks -- similar to Mr Moo). So much so that I've just had another bowl of it )) Still not near my favourite smoke, but the taste seems to have mellowed (become less sharp), and I may keep some around from now on for a once-in-a-while evening smoke.
  11. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Ecross, I went through the same thing with Petersons Irish Flake, the first time I tried it, I was blown away, so I promptly bought a couple of tins, only to discover that the tobacco was nothing like what I had sampled, most likely due to moisture content. After "resting" for a couple of weeks, I find the flakes, although not quite as good as I remember them, are much better than straight out of the tin. I also find the flavour profile changes depending on the packing method; I have actually been making cubes with the I.F. as opposed to rubbing it out or fold and stuff, as I find it just tastes better.

As for the PS aro (I won't comment on the Dunhill blend, as I haven't been lucky enough to secure anything from them as of yet), let it sit for a couple of hours. I have found that most tobaccos, aro's in particular, ship overly moist, and often I can taste the humectant in the smoke if not given time to breathe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.