1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Im in cob bliss!!!!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by chambers11283, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I believe the "Patriot" is un-filtered. Not a big bowl, but not a mini either. ALL of them are good. I don't have a freehand yet but I do have a Diplomat, Great Dane Spool, Patriot, Pony, General, 2 Legends,1 Washington, and 4 or 5 "Prides" The only oddball of the bunch is The Dane spool. Nothing really bad, just burns a little odd. Not quite as easy as the others to keep going, but I'd imagine it's something I've done rather then a pipe defect.

2. freestoke

freestoke Member

Okay, just looked a little more closely. I think I'll get an Eaton and a Patriot!

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Just have to be a little more gentle on the draw with those. I've inhaled a bit of dottle here and there. But again....my fault!

I actually took the mouth piece off from a pony (short amber) and put it on a patriot making a cool cob nose warmer! :thumb:

4. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

That is correct; the Patriot and Mizzou are not filtered - BUT - don't rule out the others just because of that. You can always just take the filter out (most of us do :whistle:)

The Legend, Washington, Diplomat, and Great Danes are wonderful pipes.

Also you could buy a "forever stem" from http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_forever__stems.html

5. freestoke

freestoke Member

Nice link. Thanks!

I see that they're just the 6mm filters, so I guess it's not that bad. Filter briar pipes make a mess and in my opinion don't seem to smoke all that well without the filter. I don't like filters at all in the first place, so that's what I was worried about. Maybe it won't be so bad with a cob.

6. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I have 6 Diplomats (4 naturals which can be ordered from the factory), two finished, a natural Freehand, a Legend and just picked up a couple of Missouri Prides (these are naturals) and a Washington. I think the natural cobs smoke slightly better. The Prides weigh 23 & 26 grams and I smoked one yesterday for the first time and it was a great smoke. I got an outstanding 70 minute smoke with P.S. LNF. With the shorty "Forever Stem" (Walker Briar Works), the Pride is the ultimate clincher and a heck of a bargain a $3.60. The bowls on both Prides are slightly larger than my Legend which was a surprise.

I don't use factory filters. I cut the dirty ends of used pipe cleaners off and cut the remaining part into one inch sections, fold them and insert the "V" into the stem so it sticks out and is easy to remove. The pipe cleaner filter collects some moisture and tars, keeps bits of tobacco from making it to the mouthpiece, makes the draw perfect for me and it's certainly a low cost option to factory filters.

WyoBob

7. freestoke

freestoke Member

Thanks guys! Just ordered a straight Pride, straight Patriot and a bent Legend! Got my PA and 1Q OTC ammunition, so I'm almost good to go!

This forum is costing me a fortune.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.