I'm kind of shocked

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mr Bojangles, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Member

I'm new to pipes, and I've only tried a handful of tobaccos, but even after the ones I've tried I find myself preferring a bowl of CH to any of the others I have. I started with a pouch of CB and then ordered some Lane 1Q and FVF, but after realizing I'd found the stuff my grandpa used to smoke, I bought a tub of CH. Since then I've tried some different blends (thanks to the generosity of k9shag) but I find myself coming back to some CH in my cob. I've got some SL coming tomorrow that I'm anxious to try, but it seems at this point in my journey, I'll always have some CH handy. After some research on here, now I'm anxious to try some other Burley tobaccos. ABF seems to be a big hit, but of course everyone is sold out. Guess I'll add that to my long wish list.

Scottly, cobbsmoker, Robin and 6 others like this.
  2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Tastes can change over time, but its always nice to have something to come back to, CH and a few others are those.
    Let us know how SL goes for you, I have had it, but I wont give any opinion before you smoke it.
    CH or SWRA would do for me as a daily, but a few others I need to try yet.
    Then you can go as far and wide as you want to, or not, its your journey, you choose your own road to happiness and the heck with what anybody else says, as long as you enjoy it.

Robin, paintedklown, YAPPG and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Member

I think that's one of the thinks I love about this new venture. I feel like I'm on the first few steps of a looooong journey that I tend to enjoy every step of the way. :sailor:

DS86, Coastal Bend, Robin and 5 others like this.
  4. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

CH is a staple. I away burn a bowl or 2 of CH everyday.

Scottly, Robin and Thuber88 like this.
  5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

And then there are some old coots around who smoke nothing but Carter Hall.:whis:

6. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

Another new piper here, and CH is my fave blend so far as well. Nothing wrong with that! :cool:

7. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

Smoke whatever makes you happy. You'll always be right!

8. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Member

I got the SL today and I found it quit pleasant. It reminded of the smell when I'm smoking meat. I wouldn't consider it an every day smoke, but something I would definitely keep around for when I'm in the mood.

DS86, Thuber88, Robin and 1 other person like this.
  9. bosun

bosun Active Member

Some people have found what the rest of us are looking for! I've got a few 'go to' blends but nothing I smoke more than 75% of the time..

Robin and Thuber88 like this.
  10. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

Love CH. Ran out about a week ago, right around the time I got a sample pack from a fellow PSF'er and picked up quite a few ounces of my own at the B&M so I figured I had enough to carry through and not worry about the CH right away. For the last 3 days I have been walking around craving it! The other blends are good and sophisticated and some are pretty damn pricey (Penzance), but damn, I really needed a bowl of good plain old CH! So as I was taking my kids to swim, I made a detour to the nearest store that carries it to find that they were out of tubs :( so I bought 2 pouches.

Scottly, cobbsmoker, Robin and 3 others like this.
  11. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

This was (sort of) how I was earlier today. I had ran out of all my various OTC blends, and have been puffing on a tin of FMC for a few days (I have grown to LOVE it btw). Anyway, I had a bad day today and was really wanting a nice relaxing smoke to calm my mind.

Although I had some FMC at the house, I felt myself craving that sweet nutty flavor of some good old Carter Hall. I decided to go out of my way a bit, and stop by my local tobacconist and pick up a pouch. Got home, loaded a big bowl into my Grabow and (attempted to) puff my cares away.

While, it didn't quite solve all my problems, it did have a nice "comforting" effect and helped in soothing my soul. I puffed my pipe, calmed down, and went to bed.

I am just a beginning pipe smoker, but in some ways, I already feel a "kinship" with it. I don't know why to be quite honest, but it just seems to "do me good" to sit down with one of my pipes.

cobbsmoker, Robin, Thuber88 and 2 others like this.
  12. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Glad you found some blends that you enjoy. Keep in mind that tastes change & your pallet will evolve. Enjoy what you are smoking right now but also try new things. The only thing I would add to what has been said so far is don't go buying a lifetime supply of something you like right now, because you may not have such an affinity for that blend latter. (speaking from experience)
    good luck & enjoy the journey
    Brian

Robin, Thuber88 and Bulldog like this.
  13. mongo

mongo Active Member

Carter Hall was my entry tobacco, and I still love the taste... especially in a cob. I have since tried a couple of other Burley and Burley blends, and they have all been fantastic. Here's what I've tried and liked: Mac Berans HH Old Dark Fired, L.J. Peretti Co. Inc. mix #333, Cornell and Diehl Old Joe Krantz. See if you can find some of these and give them a go.

14. Thuber88

But doesn't the SL light easier???

Smokey Tom and Robin like this.
  15. Robin

Robin Member

I don't keep that much tobacco on hand, but I always have some CH, it's slowly become my favorite for a daily smoke. I have others that I enjoy, but if I could only get one tobacco to do me from now on, it would be good 'ol CH. :)

16. Thuber88

I like the CH, and SWRA as well, either could be my day in, day out go to smoke.
    Others I want to try yet as well though, but in the end I want 1,2 dailies, then I can sample as I choose.
    Besides, all the 55 gallon drums of CH are at Doug's house already;)

cobbsmoker, Robin and DGErwin11 like this.
  17. mongo

mongo Active Member

Now, does Carter Hall make the 55 gal drum available to the general public?.... or is that just a professional courtesy to Doug?;)

Robin and colorduke like this.
  18. Thuber88

Professional Reserved stock, for their best customer and promoter, that, and he bugs the crap out of them for it!:p:

Robin likes this.
  19. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

SL?
    CH and PA are great reliable american classics.

Robin, cobbsmoker and colorduke like this.
  20. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

It pays to have friends in high places.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.