I'm looking to expand my baccy horizons

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Griz, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griz

Griz Active Member

I've nearly run myself out of my Big-ass-tub tm of CH, Altadis Vanilla Custard and Devils Holiday. I'm in the look n buy mode now and while I KNOW I will be getting more CH and the Vanilla Custard ( YUM! ) this is really, the extent of my baccy world. So, where do I go from here? I have recently ordered Bagpipers Dream and Frog Morton Cellar. I'd like one more but :msty:

Suggestions? I'll go with a most suggested method on my last buy.

Thank you :)

2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Hmmm, well... There are tons of options out there and I know there will be lots of others giving their input but I'll just list a few of my favorites.
    H&H Anni Kake
    H&H Classic Burley Kake
    McClelland 5100
    Dunhill Nightcap
    GH Balkan Mixture

You can always check out http://tobaccoreviews.com/ to get some more input about a blend that you stumble upon.

Spillproof and Griz like this.
  3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

4. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I suggest you do a FNG/FOG trade. You can get a load of different samples and decide what to buy. It helped me figure out the basic styles and blends I like.

psquared, 5H4N3, BigJ and 6 others like this.
  5. Thuber88

Yes he should do that, some people still have not made it through all that stuff yet:rolleyes:
    But its sure fun trying:th1:

Griz, TWolf and MikeInMaine like this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Try either or all of the PS Luxury blends .. theyre damn good and cheap in bulk . Try a Burley for Petes sake !Wessex Burley Slice , Wessex Burley Broadcut , Solani Aged Burley Flake , MB GE , PS Cube Cut etc ........ If your gonna try and English style .. nab some Balkan Sasieni :th1:Also , OGS and Escudo ... Benchmark blends ... try the froo froo stuff afterwards .. this way you can see how they [ boutique ] bastardized them with Ketchup and vinegar and bone dryness ;)

7. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

+1 on trying Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Flakes. Good, straight-up blends very reasonably priced. And maybe some of their Proper English if you want to try latakia.

8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

So you've enjoyed CH (a Virginia/Burley) and a couple of aromatics.

Frog Morton Cellar is good pickup on your part. It's basically an aromatic English blend and a good gateway to more stout English/Balkan blends. Let us know if you like the FMC and we can bombard you with other English blends to try.

But if you like VaBurs, give H&H Classic Burley Kake and Uhle's Blend 44 a try. I recently started a thread asking for Va/Bur rec's; lots of great suggestions there.

I second Aussie's rec of McClelland 5100 for a pure Virginia that's easy to smoke.

AussieTX, psquared, RTOdhner and 3 others like this.
  9. Griz

Griz Active Member

It's funny that it came up because as I was reading the threads in the tobacco section of the forum I kept thinking "I need to figure out what this whole "burley" thing is about. I've read reviews every where from "Everyone around me hated it ( room note not pleasant to non pipe people ) but I loved the hell out of it." to " Surprisingly complex and multifaceted. It's refinement cannot be over stated" type of vibe. Anything that runs that kind of gauntlet can't be all bad :D

I absolutely want to try a strong Lat of some sort too after reading all day. Finally Cavandish is confusing me a bit. It seems that it is mostly blended with other things but not necessarily a stand alone tobacco? Man I really am still green.

Thuber88 likes this.
  10. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I would recommend you try some #5100 Red Cake for an introduction to Virginia tobaccos; it's an easy smoke and very user friendly.

12. AustinLM

AustinLM Active Member

I would go to CigarsInternational.Com and look at the samplers under their "Pipe Tobacco" section. They have both aromatic and English samplers, for pretty stinking low prices, and $5 shipping. I'll be using this method to try out the Sutliff Private Stock blends, because $22.50 for 5 tins!?! Why wouldn't you expand your tobacco collection that way? I'm in no way affiliated with the website, but I love their selection and prices. They have many OTCs, tons of tinned tobacco, and GREAT bulk offers (from 2oz. to 5lbs.)

:th1: Let us know what you decide on would ya?

Griz and Thuber88 like this.
  13. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I feel like you eat a lot of popcorn.

AustinLM likes this.
  14. Thuber88

:popc: is so much tastier than [​IMG]
    cause once you open them you got lots of splainin to do..;)

RTOdhner and Ephraim like this.
  15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Good advice from Ruff.

If you've found that you like burley-based blends based on your experience with Carter Hall, then really investigate them and get their nuances nailed down. Lane Sir Walter Raleigh and Granger, Stokkebye Cube Cut and OGS, MacB Golden Extra and Burley London Blend, Wessex Burley Broadcut and Burley Slice, Solani Aged Burley Flake, Patton Storm Front... all of these are really great blends, and showcase burley at it's best. Don't expect to be "blown away" by any of these blends, because that's not what any of these burley blends are really about. However, you can expect a really wonderful bowl of tobacco from any of them. Burley blends are about laid-back enjoyment, and I think that these blends really deliver.

16. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I agree with the mayor and RT, you seem to favor Burleys and while I have not tried all the blends they are recommending I would heavily agree with Solani Aged Burley Flake to give you a good feel of what a great Burley tastes like. Then Patton's Storm Front for a real treat. That stuff is just incredible, simple yet complex. I will add another in Berry Good from C & D. I really enjoy this aromatic as the topping is light and the burleys underneath are fantastic. This will satisfy your sweet tooth and allow you to appreciate the fine burleys as well.

You shouldn't limit yourself to just Burley though, buy a tin of Dunhill Flake. If you don't like that then you likely won't like Vas as, IMHO, they don't get better than that. Frenchy's Sunzabitches, to me, might be a logical step for you to try out Perique as it is Burley heavy, but also heavy in Perique. As for the Latakia blends I will allow someone else to chirp in with that as I don't care for a lot of it in my blends so I can hardly be considered a good source of info on this one.

RTOdhner and Griz like this.
  17. Griz

Griz Active Member

It's looking like Solani Aged Burley Flake is my next purchase, but man there was some very interesting choices listed with great reasoning behind them. I really appreciate it folks! Thub suggested the FNG/FOG program and I think I might just do that. :hbang:

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.