1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

im new around these parts

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by fluid, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluid

fluid Member

have toyed with the idea of getting a pipe probably for 9 or 10 years... so i finally got one a few days ago and have spent the last few days running it through a break-in period. ended up picking up a new savinelli from a local tobacconist...

[​IMG]

then i started doing my reading, and the more i read the more i realized if i was gonna really have a go at this, i'd need more pipes ... so off to ebay i went to look for bargains. money is pretty tight for us as of late, so i really had to find good deals (without knowing what the heck i was doing of course!)

ended up picking this up within a few hours of first looking on ebay. i know absolutely nothing about hickory pipes except that its not what most pipes are made of... but i really kind of liked the look of the thing and it was about $10 with free shipping.

[​IMG]

i also ordered one of the little tri-pipe tools that i have seen on pretty much every site in the world for $2 free shipping from ebay. its coming from hong kong though, so i'd imagine i wont be seeing it for a while.

now, a few days has gone by. ive just about got this savinelli broken in and today was the first really happy day ive had with it. it changed a lot today when i fired it up. when i was finished with it, i realized that i had 1 more pipe coming...when it arrives that means id be smoking maybe 2-3 times a day if i really pushed one of these two pipes... so back to ebay i went.

today i picked up this set of 4 pipes. i have no idea what any of them are, one of the reasons i went for it was the promise that it comes with an unpictured "walnut pipe rack" that im hoping was part of this set when the guy got it.

i doubt any of them are anything special, $30 for the set of 4... the description says Medico, Marxman and Preston; none of which i know anything at all about. anyway, here is the set...

[​IMG]

so all in all, im in it for maybe $60 for the savinelli, another $9.95 for the hickory pipe, another $30 for the 4 pipes in the last picture... thats 6 pipes and a rack for a hundred bucks

did i do ok so far? any idea on what any of the ones in the last picture are?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Welcome aboard - I'd say you're doing fine so far.

The last batch, Medico et al are respectable "drug store" pedigree pipes. Not real expensive, but a workable unit for sure.

3. fluid

fluid Member

yeah honestly in gauging those visually and by description i figured they were cheaper pipes. they are all supposed to be in good working order with no cracks... i have no idea what the rack is like, that was really a big factor in my jumping into that auction... hoping to get a decent rack out of it, with some smokable pipes...

thanks!

4. Major

Major Member

I doubt you'll have any problems with that hickory pipe either. Pretty dense wood.... I mean after all they make base ballbats out of em. PLus it has the old back woods , hillbilly mystique about it. I hope its a good pipe for you over the years.

5. fluid

fluid Member

i think that backwoods hillbilly thing is the reason i liked it. lol... wife moved me away from a big city to the country (from a major metropolis in south carolina) over near a place called Paducah, Kentucky... to make it better, we are maybe 25 minutes away from Paducah in a place where there is nothing but woods, rivers, and cattle... figured id fit in better with that hickory pipe than with the savinelli lol

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Firstly welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your pix.

As has been said most of the pipes you've collected so far are drug store models and you've got them at a reasonable price. Unless you are a collector there's not a damn thing wrong with that type of pipe - they should all be good smokers, and that at the end of the day is what the game's all about.

At this stage I'd now settle for a bit with those pipes you have, get to know them and get your tecnique polished and on to auto pilot.

And isn't it a magic moment when a pipe you are breaking in suddeny turns mellow and you know you've got a winner?

Welcome again

Gerry

7. Jay

Jay Active Member

good job on the starter kit and welcome to the forum

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    A good "work-horse" set of pipes you've got there. They should give you years of smoking pleasure. When they arrive, give them a good cleaning. First check the "cake" in the bowl...it should be about the thickness of a dime. Ream back any extra, then run a few alcohol dampened pipe cleaners down the stem and shank of the pipe...keep this up until they come out clean and white. Now wipe down the stem with alcohol...don't get any on the shank and bowl or you can take the finish off. Let them dry overnight, and then fire them up.

9. fluid

fluid Member

speaking of finish on the pipe. ive read numerous times that finish can be removed with something as simple as alcohol... has anyone tried to remove a finish from their pipe to refinish it themselves? most of the "build your own pipe" web sites seem to be offering different finishes for pipes. these cheaper ones if they arent looking so hot, im wondering if i can spruce them up a bit.

wouldnt do that to anything the level of my savinelli or higher though, but these cheaper "drug store" pipes might be a good candidate for redressing completely...

10. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Welcome to the forum sir. As far as refinishing drug store pipes, I do this all the time. Alcohol or fingernail polish remover will tsake the finish off, many times you will have to sand them some as the varish can be think in places. You will find a lot of putty fills, that is why they are cheap. But refinish them in a water based dye in a dark color and they will come out looking great. Welcome to the piping fraternity!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.