Im trying out many english blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Evening everyone,

I was gifted with a awesome bunch of english tobaccos and this past week ive been trying them out.
    I got the oportunity to try out
    Old Ironside
    McC Jubillee
    Mac Baren dark twist roll
    Mac Baren the solent
    A canadian blend called Blatter reserve.

And tonight im going to try another McCs Ringlo Syrian reserve. Up till now the most flavorfull has been Old ironside. The cedar smell really comes out and the tangy taste was really present. but last night It gave me some major dry mouth. I woke up in the middle of the night with some major dry mouth.
    Blatter reserve came in 2nd, I liked the tangy and cedar smell.
    Jubilee was 3rd, another nice tobacco but more mellow then Ironside and Blatter reserve.

The Mac barens I wasnt able to detect much only a bit of bite here and there hehe. Hopefully ill like the syrian reserve, im going out in 15 minutes.

Trauma and Mount Mandolin like this.
  2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Sounds like a nice selection! I'm not sure I'd call the roll cake an English, but it is one of my favorite blends!

David Emond likes this.
  3. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Getting to try Old Ironsides is a privilege; that stuff is impossible to find. I have only been able to try it thanks to some generosity from a member here. Great stuff! If you're a MacBaren fan I think Solent Mixture is good stuff too. You should order from Pipeworks and Wilke sometime. I think their English blends are some of the very best out there.

OldSouled65 likes this.
  4. David Emond

Thanks ill note pipeworks down. Im not a big fan of mac baren. I still have lots of the solent so ill have to try it out more but i cant detect anything from it.

I smoked a bowl of syrian reserve tonight and it was meh a bit bland but that was my 1st bowl. Old Ironside is still number 1 hehe

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  5. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Blatter Reserve is one of my favorites - been smoking that one on and off for years. The problem is that because of the Canadian taxes on tobacco (Blatter is in Montreal), Reserve is incredibly expensive. Seeing as how you like that one, I'd suggest Harkness Tower - a house blend from The Owl Shop in Worcester, MA. They mail order - and that one is really special.

David Emond likes this.
  6. David Emond

Yuppers its like 20 or 22$ for 50g. I have lots of stuff to try out so my reserve pouch will last a long time. Thank you for the suggestion I will look into this owl shop :)

7. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Definitely check out the Owl Shop. There are two locations -- one in New Haven Connecticut, and one in Worcester, Massachusetts. I've only been to the one in Worcester. Here is a link to their Web Site: http://owlshop.com/

They've been blending custom House Blends for many, many years. As I said -- Harkness Tower is my favorite (it is their take on Balkan Sobranie). But all of their many blends are exceptional. Enjoy.

David Emond likes this.
  8. David Emond

I will have to email them for prices. But just the name of Harkness Tower sounds really cool. Also blatter reserve is a balkan sobranie type so if i can save some money from the Owl shop i will be happy.

Tonight im trying out some mini little disks from Peter Heinrichs Special select Curly. Its a mix of virginias and perique packed into mini disk shapes.

9. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

The Peter Heinrichs sounds great. I'll check it out. Also, if you do end up getting some Harkness Tower, I'd be interested in knowing how you like it. So I hope you'll post something about that.

10. David Emond

The Peter Heinrich was just like Solanie Virginia flakes with perique but just less strong. The disks load up easy if you have a medium or large bowl. No need for stuffing.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I liked the Solent surprisingly well, as I haven't had much luck with Mac Baren blends. It was good enough that I picked up a pound and I dig into it on occasion.

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

+1 on P&W. I think you can call them and get a sampler bundle of 2 oz. pouches, that way you can try before you buy by the pound! Go to http://vtpipes.com/tobacco.html and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.