1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Important question regarding pipe shapes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    So I'm thinking about buying a new pipe when I return home from Canada in a few days. Lately Neerup pipes have really been looking interesting to me. I only am concerned about how well these pipes may smoke. I don't know enough about carving pipes and the shapes which work well or do not, but some of these pipes have a very curved shape to them, with a drastic curve in the stems and even curved shanks.

Now most are not so drastic, but I'm curious if anyone better informed on the matters knows if this poses any problems in creating a good smoking pipe. Does anyone have any experience with Neerup? Good pipes or should I only buy one if I can hold and inspect it first?
  2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Looks like a pipe where the smoke hole has been drilled with the Brebbia method: A curved canal which follows the bend of the shank.
    It certainly looks good although I myself stay away from bent pipes. A slight curvy shape is OK though.
    It might be a bit more difficult to clean
  3. Prof

Prof Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I have one, good pipe, great open draw...these are made by Jeppesen, but are a much more affordable line, uses cheap(er) stem materials, but the mechanics are nice.

As far as the bend, Sas told me about the method they use to get the hole in those extreme bend pipes, and since then, I have bought several Ser Jacs that use that method and they are fantastic, just not straight shanked...YMMV, but I dig my bent Neerup...
  4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Nov 12, 2010
    This one looks like it could easily have a simple straight draft hole, no need for curved drilling.

I've never had a Neerup, so I can't comment on how they smoke.
  5. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

May 25, 2011
    in my collection, the only significant difference between bents and straights is that some of the bents don't pass pipe cleaners easily. it doesn't stop them from being great smokers.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Very few pipes are made with curved drilling - that one in the picture would be easy to do with ordinary methods, for example.

The only real disadvantage comes if the pipe is made without care, and the tenon gets in the way of the air hole in the shank - the airhole will probably present in the wall of the mortise or in the corner rather than dead center. If' it's in the wall and the tenon occludes the airway, the pipe won't smoke worth farts. Even so, it's easily fixed.

If you like it and it's a "good" manufacturer, chances are it's fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.