In Defense of the Frog

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bear84, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I admit that I enjoy Frog Morton. I have 2 of the varieties, the "standard" Frog Morton and On the Bayou. Both are excellent. I will buy and smoke much more of these delicious blends. That said I am coming to the defense of the Frog...

While I know there are several folks who feel as I do that Frog Morton is a fine blend that can be enjoyed with pride, I'm addressing the notion expressed by some that Frog Morton is some sort of "Tobacco with Training Wheels". What I mean is the referencing the amount of latakia contained in the blend as some sort of "introduction" to some special club of campfire aficionados...

I like latakia, but I don't have anything to prove by smoking some 99% strength lat bomb to prove my worth in some ficticious "club". While I enjoy lat bombs I feel no less worth smoking my Frog Morton!

So all of you "Fans of the Frog" --- Stand up and light your bowls with pride!
    :hbang:

2. Marker

Marker Active Member

I love my FMOTT in a churchwarden. The room note is awesome and it smokes cool. Looks even better.

3. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I hadn't noticed this subtext to any of the conversations here, but I'll stand up for the Frogs any time! Great smokes, I love every one of them, haven't tried "cellar" yet but I may like it too, just so I can say I love 'em all!

AK Kilted Guy likes this.
  4. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke! :hbang:

5. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I had some on the town and i have some on the bayou left. Its a nice change of pace from my macbaren honey and chocolate.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Don't worry about it. I was introduced to lots of condiments by eating a small amount of them, but I've never felt a desire to chug a glass of mustard or eat a red pepper sandwich.

Condiment tobaccos are best enjoyed condimentally, IMHO. Big fan of FMOTT here. Any more latakia would kill the taste of the basma leaf, the same as too much horseradish kills the taste of beef.

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I like a wide array of latakia blends and my mood often shifts from wanting tons of it to more virginia forward to more oriental forward and back to lat bombs. It really just depends on my mood as to what hits the spot. Lately I have been really into oriental forward lat blends but am sure digging some Pirate Kake this weekend. To me there is no right or wrong. Just smoke what you like.

I think it has been hyped as a good blend for beginners to try because it is light on the latakia and fairly agreeable to most folks. That doesn't mean it is only for beginners. There are alot of other light lat blends on the market that are in the same boat.

MacNutz likes this.
  8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Latakia is more like bacon to me. Sometimes it is nice to have a little crumbled on a salad or baked potato but other times it is nice to have about 5 or 6 slices fried up crispy in a sammich with a little lettuce and tomato, then the bacon takes center stage. It can be good as a lead and as a supporting role.

9. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yes, what Glenn said. It is good for beginners but certainly not only beginners. I am a Pirate Kake fanatic but I still quite enjoy the original Frog. Although I haven't enjoyed the other two frogs I've tried. Even when people say that something is NOT for beginners they are often wrong. It depends on the person. I started with those supposedly only for experienced smokers and those are the ones I still prefer. Taste is odd that way. :)

Old Codger likes this.
  10. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Me too MacNutz. I had a guy recommend GLP Westminster and Odyssey to me when I was brand new to pipe smoking. Those were my intro to latakia. I'd never point a newb to Odyssey as a starting point but it worked for me. It did puzzle the hell out of me for a couple weeks there. It was not love at first light. But much like eating sushi, first try was meh and pretty soon I was craving it.

11. xmacro

xmacro Member

Maybe someone can answer this - every time I light up a bowl of the frog across the pond, or on the bayou, I'm met with a ton of sweetness upfront - honestly I hate it. Eventually, after a little bit, it finally subsides and I get into the part of Frog Morton that I really enjoy, very smooth, and balanced.

Is there something in the tobacco that's giving me this sweetness in the beginning?

12. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I feel like I'm always taking a cheap shot at McClelland's casing. I just wanted to post to show you guys that I can exercise restraint.

ketchup!

Jammer likes this.
  13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

That's my opinion, too. I've had the regular Frog and FMOTT, and I like them both. I think they apply the Latakia with an even hand, and that how I think a condimental tobacco needs to be handled. I've come across a post or two where some Lat Fiends were poking fun at the Frog, but I think it was just good natured fun. If you're a hard-core Leather Tongue, then I can see how the Frog is gonna seem like a panty-waist because the Lat content is awful light... at least for an "English" blend. If you're a hard-core English blend fan then I can also see how this might disappoint, because it has a certain sweetness that I have a hard-time believing does not come from an ever so small a pinch of black Cavendish - which I suppose, if true, would make it a Scottish Blend. No matter, I think they are solid blends that are really enjoyable if you take them on their own merits.

14. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I enjoy FMOTB, but haven't tried the other Frogs yet.

15. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I just opened a tin of fmott & it is as good as I remember it. Any tobacco snobs out there that think they are too sophisticated or "hard core" too enjoy one of the better blends out there are loosing out. I am seeing a lot of discussion about the Frog Morton blends as of late & I think that the reasons are obvious. They are good.

Hawkwood, CalPiper and dwaugh like this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I think FMOTT is best described as an introduction to English, rather than a "beginners" blend. Ultimately I smoke what I find pleasing; and damn the torpedoes. :puffy:

17. xmacro

xmacro Member

Casing? Am I missing something? :cfsd:

18. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I don't know if you're saying, "Casing! McClelland isn't cased!" Or, "What's casing!?" If it's the second, the link will help. Especially beginning with section 2.3.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Tobaccos

19. xmacro

xmacro Member

It was indeed the second. Thanks for the link :)

Coming from cigars, where flavored or infused tobacco is considered repugnant, I never figured pipe tobacco would be flavored. Ya learn something new everyday

20. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I consider it more of an oriental blend. The basma leaf leads the show and the latakia is in the background.

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.