1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

In need of my fellow PSF members advise!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'm damn near ready to pull the trigger on a RVW (Wiley seconds) pipe I found at an on-line outlet[​IMG]
    Are these pipes worth $100.00?
    [​IMG]

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

I don't know about the price but I really like the top one.

Stonewall likes this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I think they're different sides of the same pipe, Woody. Not certain, but it would explain why they're "seconds." Probably only because they didn't turn out visually stunning - my guess is the pipe would probably be a good smoker, Wiley has a reputation for crafting really nice pipes.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

It is a good looking pipe; but that price tag is a little steep. But his pipes can go for several hundred dollars I'm told. Just not sure...

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If you aren't convinced it's a good purchase, then set the money you would have spent on it aside and add to it until such time that you can purchase a pipe you'll be thrilled to own.

Thing is, I'd bet money on it smoking just fine. But it's a second for a reason - the grain on that right side isn't pretty, and the partial rustication almost guarantees that there were flaws in the briar which the rustication covers up. The price is steep, and while one side is gorgeous the other is average. I say save your money and buy something you like more at a later time - but if you do purchase it, don't look back. It probably would make a trusty smoker.

Stonewall likes this.
  6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Buying a new pipe with primary consideration going towards resale value is...likely to disappoint. Unless it's gorgeous with a sterling pedigree (Nordh, Tokutomi, etc.), you can likely figure on a net loss. However, if it's for personal satisfaction and smoking(heaven forbid!);), get it!

I think your hesitation speaks volumes. Save your pennies and climb the ladder.

Stonewall likes this.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Thanks, Nesta, and YinYang! Sage advice. All the while my gut instinct told me, no! If it were a Wiley (#) I'd go for it. Hell, if it were around the $60 mark I'd go for it as a second. But it is used, has a noticeable tooth indentation, flaws on the bowl rim, in the briar. Yeah, I'll pass.

Bigtime thanks, guys! :th1: I should just invest in my little cellar.:puffy:

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

For that money you could get a new Stanwell, Peterson, or Savinelli and at least one tin of tobacco (or a few ounces of bulk) and get it shipped for free at either Pipes and Cigars, Smoking Pipes, or 4Noggins. Just throwing that out there...or you could save the money, add a few bucks here and there over the next few weeks and get a more expensive pipe

Stonewall likes this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Yeah, you're right, actually. Got this B-Day money burning a hole in my pocket. Like a kid acting impulsively. I'm looking at two more Wiley's in the $150.00 range. But man I can't see it. I could get a ton of stuff for that wad of cash.

I'm just glad you guys chimed in before I ended up with a huge case of buyers remorse.

10. yinyang

Did I just talk someone out of a PAD dilemma? Oh noes...

osogordo3, Stonewall and Lestrade like this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=89936

Idk if rusticated pipes are your thing, but if they are I have a Trevi 114ks like this (almost identical) and it's one of my best smokers, up there with my Peterson System. which ran $120 at the B&M. You could get this, a couple ounces or a tin of tobacco, and still have money left over compared to what you would have spent on that Wiley.

Stonewall likes this.
  12. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Yes, yes you did.

Stonewall and yinyang like this.
  13. yinyang

Hush! :)

Stonewall likes this.
  14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've determined for the money I have saved I can buy 27 basket pipes and 2 pounds of Altadis cottoncandy peanutbutter tobacco.:laff:

jpberg likes this.
  15. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

If you have to second guess the purchase, I would pass. ;)

Stonewall and ol gto like this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Yeah, I did. Passed on three more, too. I need to focus on a toby cellar. Having a box full of pipes makes no sense if you don't have the tobacco to smoke in them.

Priorities! :puffy: But someone, somebody, should buy that Randy Wiley Galleon Bent Dublin from SP.com

And someone should buy it quickly. Because it's calling my name...

17. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

:xd: 27 times the enjoyment plus tobacco???

Ya done good, grasshoppah! :D

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.