1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Indianapolis pipe shops?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by soundlzrd, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I am going to be in Indianapolis, Plainfield actually, on Saturday and was curious if there were any great pipe shops that I just need to visit. If not, I have plenty of pipes and tobacco for my seven hour round trip, but another is never a bad thing I do not think.

2. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

You need to hit Pipe Puffer - 2306 E. County Line Road, Indianapolis, IN 46227

I visited this store on a recent trip and really enjoyed it. They have a good selection of tinned tobacco and a fair to small collection of pipes. The worker (i think owner) was pleasant and knowledgable. They have some used Falcons on the counter in a rack for $25.00 - I kicked myself afterward for not picking one of those up! I would like another of the British model. Anyway - I do recommend this store. I hit all of them I can in my travels and this is one of the better ones.

Good Luck!

Bob

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Thanks! Going to have to swing by on my way in.

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Never been HERE so have no idea how good the pipe/tobacco selection might be. Randy's Tobacco Shop.

HTH

5. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

t-bear,

That place looks interesting. However, only having one day I think I will only make Pipe Puffer the priority. If I can make both, I will give you a report.

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Gracias! I pass through Indi on my way back to Ohio (family's there) but have never had the time to stop....maybe some day.......

...and yes, we expect a report, wherever you end up. :groucho:

7. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

T-bear, if they have wi-fi you may get a post from the shop. That way I do not forget anything!

8. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Well I found myself at Pipe Puffer shortly before 11 yesterday. I was going to try and hit both shops, however when the GPS took me to the middle of a farm almost 30 minutes away from Pipe Puffer, that ate up all my spare time. Lesson learned, do not look up the name of your location, just put the address in normally.

The shop itself was very nice. Great selection of cigars and a decent selection of pipes. Most were basket pipes on the wall behind the counter. In the counter were estates, Stanwells and Petersons. Not a huge selection, but not bad either. If I had not been getting super picky about what I pick up, I am sure I could have found more than just the inexpensive Bent Bob I picked up for a short 20 minute smoke.

There tobacco selection was great. I picked up some PPP and Golden Slice. They had a good selection of Mcclelland and even some SG. Unfortunately nothing, other than PPP and GS, that I felt I need.

The shop staff was okay. I stood at the counter for a while after I picked out my tobacco until someone offered to let me look at a few pipes. They also had the same thing to say about all the pipes, this is great, basket pipes are as good as the expensive pipes. While I know this can be the case, the pipe I had in hand was drilled way to high.

I will go back whenever I have time and am in the area. Maybe next time I will hit up Randys. I find myself not getting brand new pipes in B&M locations because they cost more. I do like to pick up estates or pipes from local carvers if I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.