1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Info on meerschaums please.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ECross, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECross

ECross Member

So I am sitting here listening to Spaceship Orion by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils when I realize I want to purchase a meerschaum pipe. But, I know nothing about them. Could you guys let me know what I should look for, good makes, etc.

Thank you,

Elijah

By the way, the song has nothing to do with pipes.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....er...isn't that the wrong way round? - I usually "realize I want to purchase something" when I know something about it LOL!...seriously - there is so much about meerschaum on the net and forums (this one included) - it would take a week to read!...and Ozark Mountain Daredevils?? :dunno: ;)

3. ECross

ECross Member

Well lets say I knew just enough about them to be interested in them. I've done a little more research since then, but I still don't know what brands I should look in to.

4. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

This is a good question. If I may piggyback a bit...

How do you know if a meer is carved from a solid block vs a compressed block. A solid is supposed to be better quality, right?

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

and is Turkish really better? ;)

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The pressed or moulded are a bit heavier, harder - they stand rough treatment well, can be good smokers, but will not color like a block meer because of the bonding agent....IMO more in the clay pipe category. Block meers vary in porosity and hardness, I have some that can be easily marked with a thumb nail - and yes they are better quality, I would avoid the pressed ones!.
    Cheers, OT

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yep! - that's the real McCoy! :thumb:

8. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Great Read on Meers

Art of Manliness, which is a wonderful website!, did a primer on the subject. I found it very informative.

Happy Smoking
    Arty

9. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Turkish is all you can get in new meers - the mines in Africa are not producing.

Turkish is thought to be "better," though. African tends not to be quite as white in color, and some claim African meer wouldn't color, but that isn't true. It will color, although the degree to which any meer will color depends on a number of factors and is unpredictable. Some think African meer is a little denser, and tougher - whether that is better or worse is a matter of preference.

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Pressed meers are usually left smooth, they won't take fine detail like this one, and the top carvers will often sign their work somewhere.[​IMG]

11. Eddie

Eddie Member

What is the smoking quality like of pipes lined with meerschaum? How does it compare to a full meerschaum pipe?

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I have never tried one - but previous discussions have revealed that the lining is moulded - from meerschaum dust and left-over bits, and there does not seem to be any real advantage to it. Apparently they can smoke well....I personally would not bother.

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Coloration qualities aside, I am not sure there is any smoking difference between block and pressed - at least none that I've noticed.

Here are some things I think are "heads up" when a novice is selecting a meer:

• if you're not totally OCD the intricately carved pipes will begin to harbor flecks of tobacco and ash in the eleventeen thousand crevices
    • if you ARE totally OCD, you may spend as much time caring for your meer as you will smoking it
    • without a fitted case you have been shortchanged
    • meers do not color up all caramel-ie in weeks or months - it takes years-to-decades of regular smoking to produce a deep, rich patina
    • smaller (cheaper, say $35-$60) meer pipes are famous for restricted airways that create incurable gurgling*
    • an eagle claw wrapped around snakes and a skull can get old, fast - select a pattern (carved or smooth) that will please you over time
    • meers often have plastic "push-pull" mortise/tenon fittings not used in briar - they can fail and need replacement (not a major thing)
    • regular meer smokers insist Fikri Baki never made a bad pipe - a ticket to his ball is probably worthwhile if you are well enough heeled
    • meers are soft (in the chamber) and sticky (outside) when they're warm; they need to be handled, maintained and stored accordingly
    • trust opinions from folks with more than two brands of meer that they have smoked for more than five years - believe nobody else**

*the cheap little lattice job is cute but always gurgles while the big no-name rhodesian with the larger 5/32" airway never has - http://i29.tinypic.com/2wcljlw.jpg

*including me - but still, this large dublin imported by Paycok (from a no-name carver) is, except for balance, maybe the most perfect smoking pipe I own - http://meerschaummer...rge/2992_1_.jpg

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Moo's said it all and said it concisely. Nothing there I'd really want to disagree with.

Best to all

Gerry

15. ECross

ECross Member

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have some research and some thinking to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.