1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Inherited a mix, advice please

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by prole, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prole

prole Member

Hey there, I just received a few pipes from a dear friend who hasn't used them in 50 years or so, he tells me. He was happy they'd have a new home since he is downsizing and getting rid of things.

I see alot of potential here, especially the meerschaum, the oom paul and the half peterson.

Glancing on google, I didn't see much info about restoring meerschaum pipes. The only signature or mark is a faded red Y that might be visible in the photo. What is the meerschaum equivalent of the salt/booze treatment, is one question I have

The oom paul says made in france, has Greaves Patent on the bowl, stem and band, and also 'De Lucce' on the other side of the bowl.

The Peterson bowl (the stem is apparently missing) has Peterson Dublin 2 on the bowl and on the band the shielded K&P symbols above 'Peterson Dublin' again.

The third briar I have less hope for. It's old tenon has been cracked and lodged in the pipe. The only marking I see on the briar is 'HGH Briar Root'.

What repair shops do you guys use? Is there one that stands out above the rest? What's a ball park range for a good cleaning and a new peterson stem? Is contacting peterson directly a better option than sending it to a stateside repair man for a custom job? I'm thinking of sending the lot out and just seeing how they turn out. Thanks for reading and any advice you might have for this lucky noob

photobucket seems to be down... gonna add pics when I find a host that's working

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Edited to make picture show -dwaugh

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5908/img1839vx.jpg

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7564/img1840d.jpg

2. prole

prole Member

Ok, the pics are there but I couldn't figure out how to have them simply show up, the way photobucket does it. If some clever mod can help with the code or whatever is missing, I'd appreciate it.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

No salt in your meerschaum but a shank brush/bristle cleaner dipped in Everclear will help restore the meer (inside the shank and stem ONLY - no alcohol on the outside). The outside can often be cleaned with a moist rag but this one looks pretty clean on the outside. As for rim char, you can try a little Everclear but just a dab, and take care not to let it run down the side of the bowl.

And if you're looking for a mod to help with pic uploading, you caught the wrong mod. :D I'm lucky I can even work a computer.

Piperatthegates, prole and Capt like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Forgot to mention - nice haul! And free! It doesn't get any better than free, especially when you're talking multiple pipes! :ohyh:

5. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

That oom paul is tight. :th1:

6. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

Great pipes. Your a lucky guy on this. Take that friend out to dinner.

7. GregL

GregL Member

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that shape but THAT one is fantastic. Congrats!

-Greg

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I can recommend both Floyd Norwood and Walker Briar Works. You can them via any search engine.

Rodfather and prole like this.
  9. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I've heard Walker Briar mentioned alot....nice score prole!

10. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I like the Oom Paul. Very nice collection overall!

11. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Floyd Norwood http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/, especially for anything meerschaum. He's my meer guru. Great looking pipes amigo. Congrats on a stellar gift...agree that he deserves dinner out.

12. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I can speak highly of Walker Briar works. Dave has done a nice job on a couple of my pipes.

13. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Nice pipes. They all look like they're worth having cleaned up and brought back to their former glory.

14. prole

prole Member

Thanks for the advice gents, I was about to send these guys off to Norwood this afternoon but bad news, the guy indian gifted me! I don't actually blame him, he's a really sweet man. 91 year old navy vet raised in NYC. Said he bought most of his pipe's in a Manhattan shop called Wally's pipes or something. His son heard yesterday that he had given the pipes away, and the son pleaded to get the meerschaum back, for an heirloom. The man called me up today very embarrassed asking if I understood and of course I do. I can totally sympathize so I'll be bringing the pipes back after work tomorrow.

My Grandpa passed right before I was born and my own Dad passed early in life and I didn't care enough about pipes as a kid to bother finding out if they had any cool heirlooms like this to pass down. Although instead of a steak dinner maybe I'll just drop him off a five dollar footlong instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.