1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Interesting Auction

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I just watched a Poole & Smythe (Dunhill second) go on eBay for $112.50. I was quite surprised it went for that much being a second. It must be a difficult sub brand to find to fetch that kind of coin.

I have quite a few Sasieni seconds. Anyone have any seconds pipes in their collection?

2. Linus

Linus Member

A few, i can right now recall a K-Briar (second from peterson) but apparently im a stanwelldude :)

Stonewall likes this.
  3. jgWatson

jgWatson Member

I have two Irish Seconds (Peterson's second of course), and a Royal Guard (Stanwell second). The RG has some of the best sandblast ring grain I've seen, it's incredible! I've owned quite a few other seconds, including some Royal Danish (Stanwell again), London Guildhall by Comoy, Savory's Curzon by Dunhill, etc. Some of them are really great smokers!

Kiowapipe and Stonewall like this.
  4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I have a few Peterson Irish seconds and a few various Comoy's seconds. All are generally decent to good smokes, but considering (for example) a new Pete goes for $60-$100 I wouldn't spend nearly that much on a second line. The most I considered (but passed up ultimately) was $40 for a second that had obviously been intended for their Antique reproduction line. As those are $150+ new I thought the second might be worthwhile since I love the shape, and there's no other way to get it. Still, more than I wanted to pay at the time. I guess if Dunnies are a few hundred new just over a hundred is not awful but, IMHO, still crazy.

Stonewall likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I have a Sasieni "third" bulldog. Its an "Olde England." Its a little crooked, and theres a little gash on the bowl (might have been done by previous owner), but it smokes like a champ, and is one of my favorite pipes...

Stonewall likes this.
  6. Linus

Linus Member

Royal guard is'nt seconds, it's just one of their midrange series, the same goes for the Royal Danish series. They are fullblood stanwells with the stanwell hallmark on the stem and briar :)

Stonewall likes this.
  7. Prof

Prof Member

I have several seconds, including an old Digby, London...and I developed a theory. This Digby I have, a solid large poker, has no flaws and the drilling is spot on. The finish was that dark brown, and was in such shape that I just refinished the surface, and just buffed it, and it is spectacular. The grain is lovely. For whatever reason this was a second, if it had been made today I think hat it would have gotten many C's or stars or shells or what have you. Briar is a finite resource I think, and those seconds used briar, some of them, that we couldn't get today, or not cheaply. So second or not I think can be some of the best values out there. Just MHO.

Stonewall likes this.
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

You make a very good point here; when I was researching the Sasieni history I ran across an article that stated Sasieni seconds were by today's standards first level pipes. Perhaps that's merely one writers opinion but some of the seconds I have, be they Sasieni or otherwise, are fantastic pipes. I hate to let one of my secrets out, but some of the seconds I have stamped "Reject London Made" are some of my favorite pipes. I have 6 in total that are as you described, almost flawless with the exception of a minor cosmetic blemish. Looking at them closely, and comparing them to some of my other pipes, Peterson for example, I can't imagine why they failed to make the cut considering what passes inspection present day.

The Sasieni seconds I have: Pickwick, and Richmond, are superb pipes. I have an Old England Prince shape in route at the moment and I'm interested to see if it was as well made as it looked in the photos.

Coda likes this.
  9. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I picked up a Converti relatively shipped it to my Dad around Christmas... I believe it's an Armellini second.

Stonewall likes this.
  10. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I have 2 Mountbattens (Charatan 2nd's)
    One is a Canadian and it is one of my best smokers, just amazing.
    The other is a Bulldog that I will be trying this weekend.

Stonewall likes this.
  11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I've got several Guildhalls and really like them all. I've had a couple Royal Danishes, too, and liked them as well.

jgWatson and Stonewall like this.
  12. Tate

Tate Member

I had two Hardcastles that I believe came after they were basically made as Dunhill 2nds and both smoked well. I recently traded one as I don't prefer a dublin style pipe.

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.