1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Lesson Courtesy of Dunhill Nightcap

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by User3940, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

So I opened my new tin of Nightcap today which I bought because everyone gives it such high praise. Smoked it like I smoke all my tobacco and occasionally inhale. Not often, but I do like to do that sometimes. Good Gosh Almighty. My head is till buzzing and may continue that way for the rest of the day.

Nightcap? Do people really smoke that before bedtime? How the heck do they sleep?

Lesson learned. Do not, under any circumstance, inhale Nightcap. I think I'll keep it in the humidor for those times when I need a big nic hit.

2. buistd

buistd Active Member

It happens to everyone at some point. Sometimes more times than one would care to remember. First time for me was with GH Sweet Rum Twist - definitely not a tobacco for a beginner relying on heavy puffing to keep a pipe lit. Old Joe Krantz has sent me a little sideways before, as have SG 1792 and surprisingly Best Brown #2. New year's eve a couple of years ago I decided to smoke two cigars back to back, the second being a large Bolivar. All I can say is, it is lucky we didn't arrive home a minute later, otherwise the technicolor yawn would have been all over the inside of the car rather than at the foot of the nearest tree!

Raffxr7, jdto, DaveyBoy and 1 other person like this.
  3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

"Technicolor yawn" :haha::xd::rofl::laff:

UnarmedCrayon likes this.
  4. noodle

noodle Member

It makes me feel quite sleepy.
    Is it a big nic hitter then?

5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Had the same experience with Peterson Irish Flake. Tasty though .

Spillproof likes this.
  6. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Heard that is a tough one

7. Tate

Tate Member

Irish flake is pretty serious, but it an awesome night cap as far as flavor goes. It will hit your taste buds even if you've smoked 20 bowls already.

I've said it elsewhere but will repeat here: Nicotine is metabolized by insulin. If you get to the point of nausea or suffer from an OD on it, you can offset that by eating something high in sugar. Preferably plain old white refined sugar. "A spoonful of sugar." This will immediately up the insulin production in your body and will increase the rate at which it is removed from the system. 10 minutes after sugar you'll start feeling better. Smoking with a glass of sweet tea does well for it too.

Raffxr7, Malcontent, psquared and 3 others like this.
  8. noodle

noodle Member

i like the irish flake as well. i didnt think it was high in nicoteine as i usually want a cig not too long afterwards.

9. noodle

noodle Member

that explains a lot i drink a fair bit of sweet tea
    and thank you for that ive learned something today.

10. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

C&D Billy Bud put me down. Half a bowl had my head spinning.

Taco likes this.
  11. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

That's another one I've heard that about.
    After a really bad experience I have been scared off trying anything that has a reputation for high vitamin N

I've heard that Dark Chocolate is a good counter measure as well

12. Taco

Taco Member

I'm very interested in this idea. However, as far as I can tell insulin is not an enzyme, and therefore doesn't directly metabolize nicotine or anything else. According to wikipedia:
    "Nicotine is metabolized in the liver by cytochrome P450 enzymes (mostlyCYP2A6, and also by CYP2B6). "

I wonder if p450 activity is linked to insulin. Anyone have any further info on this?

13. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Read an article a while back, might have even been written by Russ O. about the subject which is where I heard about the dark chocolate

14. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

I can't remember if I had eaten anything prior to that bowl or not. I remember just breaking into a sweat then I stood up and the world started to spin. From then on I always have sweet tea or a coke any time I smoke, but I also stay away from nic bomb tobaccos.

15. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Not exactly a canonical source, but: http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/nicotine
    A little bit more technical, if you're really interested: http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/33/2/258.full
    And this paper, which indicates insulin down-regulates (reduces) P450 activity in rats: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7700245

What did we do before google?

16. Tate

Tate Member

Interesting, maybe I was told wrong. However, if you try it, it does seem to work. Perhaps placebo effect, although others also swear by it.

17. Taco

Taco Member

Great info! However from our combined posts we have these two pieces of information:
    1. Nicotine is metabolized in the liver by cytochrome P450 enzymes
    2. Sugar intake causes insulin release
    3. Insulin down-regulates (reduces) P450 activity in rats

Taken together these suggests that taking sugar, which results in insulin release, would reduce the activity of CP450 enzymes and therefore slow the metabolism of nicotine -- not speed it up.

This would suggest that sugar would prolong the effects of a nicotine buzz. Clearly there is more at play here that we don't understand.

18. Taco

Taco Member

Well I'm all for giving it a try. Maybe I can go back to Billy Bud and use the sugar to offset the crazy nic hit i get from that tobacco.

19. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

All I know is that I can get a nicotine buzz on an empty stomach but never after having eaten.

20. Eddie

Eddie Member

Ive no basis for this, but is the nausia caused by a metabolite of nicotine? This could explain the above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.