1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

International travel

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ozarksmoker, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozarksmoker

ozarksmoker Member

If I were to travel over seas, Europe for example. And made some tobacco purchases, say a pound or two of a couple varieties. Would there be a customs issue coming back into the US? I had a cousin travel to Europe somewhere a while back, he was able to purchase a box of cuban cigars and bring them back. He said ge just had to open the box and carry one in his pocket, so as to show that they were not going to be sold again in the US.
    Anyways, would there be an issue bringing back "large" quantities of tobacco?

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Duties and taxes?

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

You are 'supposed' to claim the purchases. Then you'll pay the duties and taxes like Lestrade said.
    Many people do, many people don't.

4. Gary

Gary Member

I just came back from the UK with about 15 packages (pouches and tins). I declared on the US Customs form on the way back that I had ~ $200 in tobacco with me. (I think in actuality it was more like $300). I believe you are allowed up to $800 worth of tobacco, BUT, the customs agent did ask "how much tobacco are you bringing back in terms of weight?" When I paused for a minute as I tried to convert grams into pounds...he continued with "one pound? Two pounds?" I replied with "Oh I'm sure it's less than two pounds"....he waved me on by and welcomed me home.

I hope that helps.

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Haben Sie etwas zu verzollen?

Nein.

You are allowed to bring tobacco for your personal use, that is pretty vague as far as an amount. I've never brought much more than a pound back, and just declared $100 worth of "souvenirs" on my customs form(like I always do).

6. Gary

Gary Member

7. Gary

Gary Member

I just re-read the original post. I've known people who had Cuban cigars confiscated upon return. They had even removed the rings from the cigars, but made the mistake of having the rings also in their possession. They confiscated the cigars and the rings. Perhaps because that seemed a bit shady? I wouldn't go there expecting to come back with a box or two of Cubans unless you remove and discard the rings completely (or perhaps mail the rings back).

Note: There are random bag checks, and this person was unlucky enough to have been randomly chosen and were "busted". This was only a couple years ago too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.