Intro into american burley blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Apr 14, 2013.

1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Thanks ill have to check those out. It would also be my 1st time dealing with this store.
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

Put Sugar Barrel back on the list!! Good stuff! Think oatmeal cookie.

My other burley favorites are CH, KC, Velvet, H&H, Cherry Blend, Walnut and BHTeacher .
    Ephraim, Skrymr, Smokey Tom and 3 others like this.
  3. David Emond

Ok i will hehe
    Ephraim, bosun and Wildcat like this.
  4. craig

craig Active Member

David i highly suggest carter hall
    Its said it burns quick but i have never found it happen with the carter hall i had
    The aroma is very chocolatey and smoking is a pleasure just straight up uncomplicated smoking chocolate nutty and slightly sweet
    Carter hall is one of them tobaccos that shows you dont need fancy expensive and or complex tobaccos to enjoy a good smoke
    Ephraim, Wildcat and David Emond like this.
  5. Pecci

Pecci Member

So far, this is my #1 ... http://www.4noggins.com/4nogginsbulkdownbytheriver.aspx

I think it really capture's the experience. I am trying all the codger burley's as you are. Other favs of mine: CH, 1/2 & 1/2 and The Tobacco Barns, Grandfather. Moe's Confetti available @ 4 Nogs. is good too!

I'll hopefully be trying Kentucky Club (blue) and Sugar Barrel. soon.
    Wildcat and David Emond like this.
  6. David Emond

Yes i read your review on the toby review site. Thanks :) i love chocolate blends so hopefully ill like that one
  7. Pecci

Pecci Member

It's ironic that some quality burlies have a slight chocolate flavor. London Blend and Grandfather are a couple. Also, don't ignore Altadis Burley Delight and Burley Light.
    David Emond likes this.
  8. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

This list could get really long. First I will say that Bald Headed Teacher is a good blend, but I don't find it to be an exemplary burley by any means. It's one that I keep a fair amount of for when I'm in the mood for something sweet, but it is sweet, not nutty. Also, it has Latakia in it, so it's rather unusual in that respect. It's a good blend, but like I say, it's not a traditional American style burley.

I would make a list something like this:

1. Uhle's #00 - a must have for burley
    2. Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley - another must have, although it takes a few tries to figure out how to smoke it right because of the cube cut
    3. Pipeworks & Wilke Nut Brown Burley
    4. H&H Classic Burley Kake - This one is very good, and I put it on here for two reasons: first, because it is one of the only "aromatics" that I like, and it actually tastes like it smells, and second, because I find it to have an "old timey" taste to it. As far as a cased burley, which is what a lot of the old timey ones were, it is absolutely phenomenal. I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by trying it.

I truly believe that those four would give you all the burley experience you'd ever need. Obviously, this is all very subjective, since this thread has many different suggestions in it, but these four blends are the ones that changed my mind about burley and made me like it. I think I can safely say that if you don't like any of those four blends, then you probably just don't like burley.
    JimInks and David Emond like this.
  9. David Emond

Do you mean grand fathers own by house of calabash ?
  10. David Emond

Thanks Mount, Im affraid of the Uhle blends because i read that they have a heavy nic hit on the same lines as aged burley flake. I do have some H&H classic burley kake. Its a good blend and it packs well in what ever pipe you want to smoke it in.
  11. BradNTX

BradNTX Hamborger Veermaster Hog

Did you smoke that ABF on an empty stomach? I've not had any trouble with it before. :cfsd:

Uhle's Blend 00 has a killer flavor; even if you only ordered an ounce or two, it would be worth trying. Nothing like C&D Burley #2 on the nic, which is my heavy nic gauge blend.
    David Emond likes this.
  12. David Emond

I dont remember but after half a bowl i was almost on the floor with a major head ache lol.
    BradNTX likes this.
  13. BradNTX

BradNTX Hamborger Veermaster Hog

I'm not wanting to be pushy, but ABF has such a great flavor, I'd recommend trying it again. It has very little effect on me, and I've never been a cigarette or snuff user, and smoke one bowl per day. I don't care for blends that kick your arse with nicotine, and have given some away because they were too strong (C&D BF#2 and GLP Fillmore).

Then again, ABF may not be for you, which means more for me. :beck:
    David Emond likes this.
  14. David Emond

I may have to try again since ive been snuffing like a mad man and I think that this is helping my nic tollerance
    BradNTX likes this.
  15. David Emond

Uhles prices are very attractive. Ill have to order some 00 and perfection plug.
    Mount Mandolin likes this.
  16. Pecci

Pecci Member

David Emond likes this.
  17. Mount Mandolin

Yeah, and I don't find them to be heavy on the nicotine either. I have a reasonably high nicotine tolerance since I'm a cigar smoker, but I can tell when a blend is heavy on nicotine, and I don't find Uhle's to fit that description. I could smoke them all day.
    JimInks and David Emond like this.
  18. David Emond

Merci beaucoup :)
  19. Mount Mandolin

De rien, mon ami.
  20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

SIR WALTER RALEIGH