1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Intro to Flakes?...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Coda, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I am wanting to get into flakes. My local has a tin of Erinmore Flake that Ive been eying up. I dont know how much they want for it though. I may end up getting it online, which means I could also add some bulk flake. Ive been looking at the Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Are these two tobaccos decent for first flakes? What are some essential flake tobaccos that one must try at least once? What are some flakes that are great for flake beginners?...

Pastor Charlie likes this.
  2. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

I have no answers to your questions. I started with Petersons Irish Flake and University flake.

I've fallen in love with Escudo, which I dont know if it's flake, but roll cake.

ATXPipe likes this.
  3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Try some Dunhill Flake. It's my favorite one for everyday use. I load up the Irish Flake for Friday nights.

4. Morse

Morse Active Member

To start, my personal recommendations are Dunhill Flake or OGS (details below) , MacBarens Vanilla Flake and Erinmore.

I realized that I was done writing before I checked to see whether I had actually answered your question so see above for an answer to your actual question - see below for "flakes are great, blah blah blah."

Stokkebye has three in bulk - The Luxury Triplets as I like to call them , Luxury Navy Flake (LNF), Luxury Twist Flake (LTF), and Luxury Bullseye Flake (LBF). The latter is a medallion like Escudo but I'm going to call it a flake. All of these are worth trying (although I notice that SP is out of all of them at the moment). LTF is my preferred of the bunch and if you like them they are a good value. LNF is a VaPer.

Other things to try:

MacBaren Vanilla Flake - I really like this stuff. Also by MacBaren are Navy Flake and Mixture Flake, both of which are popular.
    Erinmore flake is great stuff but is reviled by some for its rather odd casing. I think its terrific but I have heard the term "the Juicy Fruit of flake tobaccos" used derisively in reference to it (those folks are mistaken BTW)
    Dunhill flake is a wonderful high quality VA flake and should absolutely be on the list.
    Orlik Golden Slices (OGS) was getting a lot of love when I first joined PSF about a year or so ago but i don't see it mentioned quite as much anymore. Its not bad and reasonably priced.

Then of course there are all the SG and GH flakes. All of which have rabid fans, some of which are cased in varying degrees of Lakeland essence - Ennerdale from GH in particular. Of the SG flakes I particularly like SG Firedance Flake, SG Full Virginia Flake - (it really IS all that and a bag of chips, but there is no doubt that the supply issues over the past year or so have added to its mystique). Notable also are Kendal Cream and Best Brown Flake. Its tough to go wrong with any of the SG or GH flakes though.

Hope this helps - and remember flakes are great blah blah blah!!

ATXPipe likes this.
  5. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I started flakes with a sweet McClelland's virginia...it was hard to keep lit. OGS is still my favorite. LNF is quite good, too, though I don't find it quite as interesting.

Definitely second Morse's recommendation of SG and GH flakes, I haven't had one yet that hasn't been excellent.

Ted Vig likes this.
  6. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

I say try'em all!

ATXPipe and Ted Vig like this.
  7. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

The way I learned to deal with flakes was someone told me to wait until I was more experienced and ready. Me being the obedient youngster I am, I said who the heck are you to tell me what to do. So naturally I bought some IF. I did some reading and I just figured it out. I found that patience was the key. Trying to find the right moisture content, ten the right packing methods wasn't the easiest, but it definitely paid off.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The PS flakes are a fine intro ! A few Benchmark blends that everyone should try is ... OGS , Escudo , MB NF , GAF [ big time ] and at this point Veermaster and SG FVF . Of the tins I mentioned , GAF and Escudo are stellar smokes . None of these blends will be to strong or funky ... no worries for a nebie at flakes . Lets consider the coin stuff flakes too . PS LTF is fun stuff !

Bradabelko4 likes this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

In terms of easy lighting and smoking, I'd say the best bets would be MacBaren Navy Flake, MacBaren Vanilla Flake, Peterson University Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Erinmore would not be a bad choice at all, either.

There is no shortage of good flake tobacco out there, but I think these are great choices for beginners in that they aren't too thick or two dense, easy to light, and easy to keep lit. Most importantly, they all taste great in my book :th1:

Bradabelko4 likes this.
  10. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Then I MUST insist on Escudo.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I've become Very fond of flakes. For me, that started with Erimore which I still like. One advantage of Erinmore is that the flakes are shorter than most and I found that useful in my first fold and stuff experiments. It has an unnamed fruit topping of some sort but it is extremely mild. I hate aros, can't smoke them, so believe me it is a very mild topping that actually adds to the tobacco rather than cover it.

Lots of great flakes out there.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I don't know if others find this to be the case, but in my experience Erinmore flake lights and stays lit very easily, but burns especially slowly. This is a good thing in many cases, but not if you wan a quick smoke

13. Professor

Professor Active Member

ABF - break and fold (don't rubb)! :th1:

14. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I've only tried a few bowls of the Dunhill Flake, but I found it quite remarkable! I'm also quite partial to the Newminster Superior Navy Flake... though opinions seem strongly divided on the love or hate spectrum.

Dubble Bubble likes this.
  15. Professor

Professor Active Member

De gustibus non est disputandum.

16. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Erinmore is a great flake IMO, sweet and smooth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.