1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

introduction and my collection

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jc5214, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jc5214

jc5214 Member

So i have been a cigar smoker for awhile and have recently got into pipe smoking (which i have found to be more enjoyable)well once my grandfather found out he set me up with a little beginner collection.
    http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee504/jc5214/pipecollection.jpg
    Im not sure of the maker of all the pipes. I know the 2nd from the left of the bigger rack is a Savinelli and so is the 2nd from the right on the smaller rack. (which i kinda like the most by looks)i also have a MM corn cob thats not in the picture.
    Hopefully this will hold me over so i dont deplete my bank account too fast.

2. aircoder

aircoder Member

Great start! Enjoy them.

3. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Welcome JC that looks like a more than just a little start to me, that is probably 3 times the amount of pipes that some (if not a lot) of nice gents have on this forum I know it is for me at least anyway welcome to the forum and I am glad to see that you found the enjoyment of pipe smoking.

4. jc5214

jc5214 Member

thanks. yea i agree it is alot for a beginner but my grandfather has been collecting his whole life and had plenty to get me started. although he couldnt remember who made alot of them cause he bought most of them at estate sales hopefully i can figure it out through some research

5. Icepick

Icepick Member

That's a really nice looking set of pipes.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Grand Dad did you proud - that's a great starter set - in fact some would say it's all you'll ever need!

Welcome to the Forum and hope you enjoy yourself here,

Best to all

Gerry

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

You'll do quite nicely with that set and Gerry's advice is spot-on as always. You may not need any more pipes, but that won't stop you from wanting more! Enjoy in the best of health!

8. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Welcome!
    I have to say your starter collection looks....awesome! All the pipes look great. Looks like Grandpa set you up with tobacco as well. Did he leaving himself any pipes?

Z

9. jc5214

jc5214 Member

Haha...plenty. hes like a pipe hoarder.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Woooof! A dozen great pipes and enough tobacco to get you totally hooked....great grand dad you got there!

Yep, them's some fine pieces of briar and meer.....but....you don't have a clay! gotta get you a clay pipe man....and more cobs....and some "custom carved" stuff...and, and, and............

Piece of advice...when you get to the Erinmore, try it in the cob first. this is one of those love/hate blends, and it *can* ghost a pipe. Give it a fair trial...it's not your "usual" tobacco, but it's (IMHO) delicious!

11. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

That is a nice starter collection your grandfather gave you. Very nice of him. :thumb:

12. jc5214

jc5214 Member

Thanks for the advise...I have been working my way through the more aromatic stuf

13. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Welcome and that's a great set up you've got. I started strictly aromatic and still stick to that but I've been enjoying more "pure" tobaccos recently. Try a bowl of the straight stuff and alternate. You'll break yourself in that way while sticking to what you've been enjoying all along.

Best wishes and happy New Year. Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    WK

14. pottsy

pottsy Member

Yeah, your gramps is a nice old fart. That's a darn nice collection to start with.

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Welcome JC! Sort of special to have pipes "broke in" by Grand Pa! Not too many can say that. Cool! He did set you up very nicely. Now you can concentrate your $$$$'s on toby and not be rushed on PAD.........although, PAD strikes when you least expect it. I know, it hit me several times this year and had a hold of me for about 5 months (Tinsky x many). Congrats and kudos to Grand Pa!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

16. Jay

Jay Active Member

Thanks Gramps good job, enjoy!!!

J

17. telltime

telltime Active Member

Congrats. Where in Maryland are you?

18. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Yeah, what ^^^^^ said.

Roadtrip! :groucho:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

19. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Nice pipes, and quite a collection. Take good care of them and they will serve you very well.

In the interest of helping you identify them:
    The freehand in the middle of the top rack looks like a Preben Holm "hand cut". I have the same pipe. It should have a number in a circle on it somewhere which denotes the grade. 1 is lowest, 10 is highest.

20. jc5214

jc5214 Member

Harford Co

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.