1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Inventing "English" tobacco.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Ol Brokedik, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Yes, we Colonials are a curious lot. Our stearing wheels are on the wrong side of our cars. We drive on the wrong side of the road. We didn't like the metric system, so we came up with something else. We decided we should have a name for a very popular tobacco, so we invented one. We're a very contrary bunch. Still, it's hard not to like us.

All in fun Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I really have no idea of the history, but I do wonder if "English" tobacco came about from Dunhill sending all those wonderful Lat/VA/cav/per blends over here. I mean, there's a reason we call it an English blend, it makes sense that an English company would have been the one to introduce us to it.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

For a few years prior to WW2 my mother worked in a 'high class' city center tobacconist shop, and used to make-up personal blends for many of the 'professional' customers - lawyers, consultants etc.. Mixtures with Latakia, oriental and other 'exotic' leaf were popular with many of that clientelle, but the average pipesmoker smoked (and still does) our traditional Virginia flakes of the Condor, St.Bruno type.
    OT

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

If it wasn't for England, there wouldn't be a United States. God Save The Queen!

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.